Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11th July 2020, 17:51   #1
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75 CDTi 2005

Default Synergy 2a survey

I fitted a box with switch to my CDTi just before I accidentally bought the ZT so have only done 30 minutes' testing. I'm seriously impressed though, particularly as it works on top of the 160 remap I had done a couple of years ago. I've read several anecdotal reports of damage to fuel pumps due to the increased fuel pressure which the box uses but have not read any "documented" reports which would provide evidence for this. So my question is:-
  • Have you or someone you actually know of, experienced fuel pump problems (e.g. leaking seals) as a result of using a Synergy box

These have been popular add-ons over the years so a survey of owners' experiences with them will be useful. Please keep replies to actual experiences - positive or negative - rather than explanations or opinions. Thanks.

Dougie.
• Built 08/02/2005 @14:57 hrs: Registered 26/08/2005
• 122nd of 141 built that day
• British Racing Green Pearlescent (HFF)
• Sandstone leather with black piping (SPJ)
• 137,000 miles

Last edited by goltho; 11th July 2020 at 17:54..
Old 11th July 2020, 19:21   #2
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by goltho View Post
I fitted a box with switch to my CDTi just before I accidentally bought the ZT so have only done 30 minutes' testing. I'm seriously impressed though, particularly as it works on top of the 160 remap I had done a couple of years ago. I've read several anecdotal reports of damage to fuel pumps due to the increased fuel pressure which the box uses but have not read any "documented" reports which would provide evidence for this. So my question is:-
  • Have you or someone you actually know of, experienced fuel pump problems (e.g. leaking seals) as a result of using a Synergy box

These have been popular add-ons over the years so a survey of owners' experiences with them will be useful. Please keep replies to actual experiences - positive or negative - rather than explanations or opinions. Thanks.

Dougie.
Seems a bit strange how the car with a "160" map is even faster when a tuning box pumps more fuel in. Seeing as the maximum power you can get with the stock turbo sits around 155bhp
Old 11th July 2020, 23:02   #3
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Have good read of the link below, it may give you the answer you are searching for.
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=174721

You can also find a lot other answers here below

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...-11-p-136.html

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Old 11th July 2020, 23:22   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I have had to replace high pressure pump seals on a couple of cars that have had the synergy (Or similar) Box fitted.
Old 11th July 2020, 23:26   #5
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75 CDTi 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I have had to replace high pressure pump seals on a couple of cars that have had the synergy (Or similar) Box fitted.
Do you recall the ages and mileages of the cars involved? And did/are you drawing inference that the boost boxes were to blame? I mean more than the generic assumptions made?

Dougie.
• 137,000 miles
Old 11th July 2020, 23:52   #6
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75 CDTi 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Have good read of the link below, it may give you the answer you are searching for.
Thanks for that. In terms of an impartial investigation, these previous discussions don't bring anything properly evidential to the party although they are interesting. It's clear that there are two camps mostly inhabited by the suppliers of the synergy box and the so-called 160 remap, and their followers. That's created a reluctance by one side to become involved (or embroiled as they have said) in adult discussions, and an almost pack-like approach aiming negativity against the other side as well as providing unquestioning support for their supplier(s). All that's brought about is entrenchment which is a pity but not uncommon.

It wasn't my purpose to look at remaps as I've not seen any anecdotal evidence of damage to cars. Interestingly though, it's become clear that there is considerable doubt whether the so-called 160 map provides anything like 160bhp. There's no doubt there is some improvement but no evidence I can find to corroborate the 160 claim. Conversely, there seems to be some which negates it (technical performance limits for one). I can't find any reference to anyone having the remap checked afterwards to ascertain how much power increase their car actually had (I certainly didn't). But that's not the question here, which is about finding or challenging hard evidence of the Synergy box indirectly causing damage to the high pressure fuel pump by overstressing seals.

This excellent summary by 75Connie is well-thought through and in my view, a good and impartial summary of his investigations which ask the same questions as I'm asking.

There's a lot of coverage of the synergy -v- fuel pump assertions but I'm seeing very little informed comment; mostly personality bias which is understandable but also irrelevant.

Dougie.
• 137,000 miles

Last edited by goltho; 12th July 2020 at 22:45..
Old 12th July 2020, 17:10   #7
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by goltho View Post
Thanks for that. In terms of an impartial investigation, these previous discussions don't bring anything properly evidential to the party although they are interesting. It's clear that there are two camps mostly inhabited by the suppliers of the synergy box and the so-called 160 remap, and their followers. That's created a reluctance by one side to become involved (or embroiled as they have said) in adult discussions, and an almost pack-like approach aiming negativity against the other side as well as providing unquestioning support for their supplier(s). All that's brought about is entrenchment which is a pity but not uncommon.

It wasn't my purpose to look at 160 remaps as I've not seen any anecdotal evidence of damage to cars. Interestingly though, it's become clear that there is considerable doubt whether the so-called 160 map provides anything like 160bhp. There's no doubt there is some improvement but no evidence I can find to corroborate the 160 claim. Conversely, there seems to be some which negates it (technical performance limits for one). I can't find any reference to anyone having the remap checked afterwards to ascertain how much power increase their car actually had (I certainly didn't). But that's not the question here, which is about finding or challenging hard evidence of the Synergy box indirectly causing damage to the high pressure fuel pump by overstressing seals.

This excellent summary by 75Connie is well-thought through and in my view, a good and impartial summary of his investigations which ask the same questions as I'm asking.

There's a lot of coverage of the synergy -v- fuel pump assertions but I'm seeing very little informed comment; mostly personality bias which is understandable but also irrelevant.

Dougie.
I for one have also wondered about this. I can offer no evidence other than to say I had a tuning box on my 75 before the remap. I found the tuning box to give more of a 'push' up the rear when accelerating hard but the remap I found to be smoother in its power delivery. Outright performance between the two was very similar.

Following the remap I never refitted the tuning box and sold it on as the common consensus was that you couldn't use the two at the same time. I have used tuning boxes on other cars for years and haven't ever had any failure (now I've said that.....). I acquired a box recently which didn't have the correct connectors for the car to which it was intended. It did however have the connectors which would fit the Rover. So, I know you can't use both but a quick try? What harm could it do?

In all honesty the Rover is far quicker in acceleration than it was with just the remap. Not sure how that can be since the remap was the supposed max available? Maybe my remap has fallen off somehow? The car is serviced regularly and has no issues. It puts out no black smoke with the box plugged in or not.

Wether the box stays or goes I'm undecided. I tried it as an experiment and was surprised at the increase.

I have also read many anecdotal suggestions of such a box causing the HP pump to fail but would question how much a failed HP pump could be attributable to a tuning box. As I say, I've used them for years, as have friends, and I can't say I've heard directly of a failure. Maybe tuning box quality varies or the way they're used by the driver causes the failure?

An interesting conversation.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 12th July 2020, 17:31   #8
Chunky2778
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coups View Post
I for one have also wondered about this. I can offer no evidence other than to say I had a tuning box on my 75 before the remap. I found the tuning box to give more of a 'push' up the rear when accelerating hard but the remap I found to be smoother in its power delivery. Outright performance between the two was very similar.

Following the remap I never refitted the tuning box and sold it on as the common consensus was that you couldn't use the two at the same time. I have used tuning boxes on other cars for years and haven't ever had any failure (now I've said that.....). I acquired a box recently which didn't have the correct connectors for the car to which it was intended. It did however have the connectors which would fit the Rover. So, I know you can't use both but a quick try? What harm could it do?

In all honesty the Rover is far quicker in acceleration than it was with just the remap. Not sure how that can be since the remap was the supposed max available? Maybe my remap has fallen off somehow? The car is serviced regularly and has no issues. It puts out no black smoke with the box plugged in or not.

Wether the box stays or goes I'm undecided. I tried it as an experiment and was surprised at the increase.

I have also read many anecdotal suggestions of such a box causing the HP pump to fail but would question how much a failed HP pump could be attributable to a tuning box. As I say, I've used them for years, as have friends, and I can't say I've heard directly of a failure. Maybe tuning box quality varies or the way they're used by the driver causes the failure?

An interesting conversation.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Following with interest as I have my eye on a Synergy box at the moment and my insurance is due for renewal end of the month.

The nearest T4 guy is miles away so it's looking like a Ron box might be the best option.

Regarding your comment about the map 'falling off', I wonder if it's the ECU's self adaptive parameters causing it.

Would make sense as the boxes' response would always be the same but the ECU's wouldn't necessarily?
Old 12th July 2020, 22:27   #9
Mr bountyfull
Gets stuck in

MGZTV8

I ran a Synergy 2a box on top of a Superchips 150bhp map and I ran a RR before and after with a few more BHP but nearly 50Lb/Ft added. I ran this for some 80000 miles with no issue.
Old 12th July 2020, 22:36   #10
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75 CDTi 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coups View Post
In all honesty the Rover is far quicker in acceleration than it was with just the remap. Not sure how that can be since the remap was the supposed max available?
As has been mentioned earlier and what I've been finding out, is the point that how remaps perform and behave are determined by the person setting the mapping. They also cannot of course exceed the capabilities of the car. I was also sold the remap on the basis it would eke out the maximum performance which - on two counts - has proved not to be the case. But that's what I was told, so I paid my money.

The Synergy box provides power in a different way (fuel pressure) and without doubt brings some smiley faces to the party, with or without a remap. One thing I'd not considered but which I am now, is that the (still anecdotal) fuel pump horror stories are likely more to do with commercial interests than technical ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr bountyfull View Post
I ran a Synergy 2a box on top of a Superchips 150bhp map and I ran a RR before and after with a few more BHP but nearly 50Lb/Ft added. I ran this for some 80000 miles with no issue.
Excellent feedback - thanks for that. That's not anecdotal.

Dougie.
• 137,000 miles

Last edited by goltho; 12th July 2020 at 22:43..
Closed Thread