Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th October 2007, 16:27   #21
apxc15

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi Connoisseur SE.

Chopped my 01 CDT saloon in for a 04 facelift CDTI Tourer a couple of weeks ago and now I have this same noise. Tried my friendly BMW expert and he doesn't have a clue as to what it could be. He says he doesn't know of any Beamers with this engine having this problem. I would love to know if it's curable as it gets on my nerves driving around town.
apxc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2007, 16:52   #22
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by apxc15 View Post
Chopped my 01 CDT saloon in for a 04 facelift CDTI Tourer a couple of weeks ago and now I have this same noise. Tried my friendly BMW expert and he doesn't have a clue as to what it could be. He says he doesn't know of any Beamers with this engine having this problem. I would love to know if it's curable as it gets on my nerves driving around town.
I think we concluded its a resonance in the fuel lines around the high pressure pump.
Julesbass was doing some investigation but I'm not sure what the outcome was.

Ron
Old 4th October 2007, 23:39   #23
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Still no solution to this yet I'm afraid

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2007, 11:23   #24
grossebaby
Gets stuck in

SUBARU LEGACY DIESEL

Default Me too

Mine does the whine, sigh, groan too. 04 zt CDTi.

Has done it all the time I've had it but I do find it goes away almost sometimes, but then returns with a vengeance usually after a long FAST run.

Have learnt to ignore it but would love to cure.
grossebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 18:43   #25
75tour

75 Tourer 2.0 CDTi Contemporary

Talking

Hi,

and BUMP!!!

Well I am new to the 75 club - got my 2005 75 tourer a couple of weeks ago. The first problem I had was cruise control not working - a quick visit
to this site fixed that
Last week I noticed a whine which today I finally had enough of so thought I'd do a search and see if anyone else had had this issue and BINGO! a perfect description - 1Khz on overrun yes me too!!!!

I am feeling better now that I know my turbo isn't about to go pop.

One thought I have had since reading this thread is that it could simply be a resonant frequency in the fuel line that occurs when fuel flow is at a specific rate - like a flute, hence the constant 1Khz - this would be the systems resonant freq - just a thought and if true no need worry but not much you could do about it either.

fab site which for me gets better by the day thanks to all who provide such great input

cheers
75tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 18:50   #26
podge
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Tourer CDT CLUB SE Copper Red Mica Dec 01 ....now deceased....replaced by2003 Royal Blue T

Could somebody swop me their whine for my mysterious knock/rattle! I think I will have to start a new dedicated thread to this , seen two more guys to-day about this.
podge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 21:53   #27
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by podge View Post
Could somebody swop me their whine for my mysterious knock/rattle! I think I will have to start a new dedicated thread to this , seen two more guys to-day about this.
What the Knock the rattle or the Wine?
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2008, 22:10   #28
johnbillard
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer

Default Buzz at about 1800 rpm

This sounds familiar - I have an engine buzz at about 1800 rpm that occurs only when car has warmed up (2006 registered CDTi Tourer, 29k miles). It is also intermittent and varies in intensity. While I'd love to fix it I'd really like to be assured that it is not a serious problem that might be ignored, at least for now?

Kind regards to all
johnbillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 21:06   #29
razorriggott

rover 75 connoisseur se cdti saloon

I have an 2004 CDTi with 39k that displays this noise. My previous 1999 CDT with 90k was fine. It is really annoying, someone please help!
razorriggott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 21:56   #30
Austingarages
Regular poster

X13 #18

This is a very interesting thread!

Working on these cars day in day out, as far as I'm concerned, all late model diesels have this noise - but some are quieter than others. In fact a friend of mine has just bought a Rover 75 Contempory SE CDTi Manual which has the noise, he was not aware of it until I pointed it out to him!

The problem lies with our old friend Project Drive, they did some plumbing to remove the secondary low presure fuel pump next to the battery, revised fuel pipes, revised conections to fuel cooler, etc. Ever since they did that, this noise is present. As far as I can detect where its coming from, it is caused by the PWM signal to the high pressure fuel regulator in the high pressure pump - this sets up a vibration down the fuel lines (you can best hear it with a stethoscope on the return pipe from the regulator. The alterations they made to the plumbing must have somehow taken out the damping effect within the fuel lines to set up this noise. I have swapped the Regulator from a good known early car and it does reduce the noise for a short period of time and then its back again....

So the 2004 facelift of Rover 75 / MG ZT started from VIN 321638, however, the fuel pump delete was from VIN 5D332301, so there are a few lucky facelift owners out there that "should" not have this problem!

The only solution I can think of (unless someone comes up with a fuel pipe damper - rather like the 75 diesel clutch pipe damper maybe!) is to fit the older type fuel system!

One thing I have learned from here reading all of this, is that MGR were aware of the problem and were in the course of dealing with it...

As for BMWs not have this problem, I wonder if thier engineers have a Project "FAHRT"!
Austingarages is offline   Reply With Quote