Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Photography Corner
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th June 2009, 07:30   #1
The_Monk
I really should get out more.......

-

Default Movie Camera's NTSC, PAL and HD

Are there any home movie buffs who could explain a little on the recording format of HD Camcorders? Do these still record in PAL and NTSC and does it affect the playback if I copied it to a DVD to play in a DVD player?

I want to buy a camera in the states as its not only $35 cheaper I also save a little on the exchange, also its not out here yet. With my mate over there at the moment I'll also save on the shipping! I can not see in the specs anything about PAL or NTSC just that it records in HD 1280 x 720 I think, can't recall without checking. I don't want to be limited to NTSC format and after waiting for movies to render after editing when digital film came about I don't fancy the hassle of converting, if you can of course convert.

Google comes up with various answers so some first hand experience would be good if anyone has any

Many Thanks
The_Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 08:48   #2
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6 British Racing Green. 81,000 miles and counting

Really it does not matter if you are going to to use the recorded content yourself and have TV's made in the last 5 years or so.

The only difference you need to worry about is the frame rates (30 for NTSC, 25 for PAL). The issue of colour frequency has gone with HD.

In HD the resolutions are the same so thats no longer a worry and a NTSC image will look the same as a PAL one apart from the extra frames. In reality where NTSC used to be the lower quality of the two formats it is now in the age of HD a better format as it has the higher frame rate so it is capturing more information.

How are you thinking of outputting the picture? If you are using HDMI then there is no such thing as PAL and NTSC. So thats sorted. :lol:

Now back to framerates. Most (99.9% of modern TV's) TV's can auto switch between 60 and 50 hz. So if you output a 30fr signal it will be fine the TV will Either auto adjust or you will have to select it.

If you are making a home DVD from the HD content then you will notice no difference in the time taken to encode a DVD form a HD source in PAL or NTSC.

If you are playing the content on a Media center or PC then again the computer will not care and show it as the best resolution the input signal can give.

So my suggestion is buy the best HD camcorder you can get in the states and enjoy.

However some of the newer HD camcorders can actually record in either frame rate. (I think the Sony Z1 is a good example). But be careful. Some have the selector to choose the output type and not the recording type.

Looking for: 7 seater
StevenWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 09:35   #3
The_Monk

-

Thanks Steven

The camera records to a micro SD card 16gb and then is saved as a H.264 format?? it's downloaded from USB or card reader to the computer and then you are ready for editing or copying to DVD. There is no function on it to play straight to TV I think.

This http://shop.helmetcameracentral.com/...FZkA4wod7lIKCA is what I'm looking at. So not really for home movies but adventures

If i'm having to recode etc or something technical which incurs extra time to copying, burning and playing I was going to wait for it to be released in the UK, even if it is a higher price

Last edited by The_Monk; 25th June 2009 at 09:37..
Old 25th June 2009, 09:42   #4
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Monk View Post
If i'm having to recode etc or something technical which incurs extra time to copying, burning and playing I was going to wait for it to be released in the UK, even if it is a higher price

Now with this camera you will ALWAYS have to recode it to something else unless you are going to play it directly off the camera or straight onto the computer.

The fact that is it compressing the image using H264 means that it will be unplayable unless you use somehting that is compatable with this format. H264 can contain PAL or NTSC but it will need decoding anyhow to play. When decoding it can be decoded as PAL or NTSC with no notisable delay.

The fact that this camera can record at 30frames HD or 60 Frames SD makes it a good deal. But the quality will all be down to the quality of the H264 encoder and the CCD used.

So if you want to create a DVD off the source you will have to recode it anyhow regardless of where you buy the camera.

Last edited by StevenWilliams; 25th June 2009 at 09:50..
Old 25th June 2009, 09:58   #5
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

I just had a look at the camera again and don;t worry. The UK and US versions are the same.

The files are created as MOV files and have no concept of NTSC or PAL.
As the files are created as compressed H264 data files when you want to make a DVD you will have to encode them anyhow and as such you choose the format.

Thats why they make such a fuss about sharing the videos on the internet. They are really computer movie files rather than TV movie files. Not a problem and don;t let this put you off. They will look great on a computer or TV.

Great camera that.

Old 25th June 2009, 10:14   #6
The_Monk

-

Ah I see, I think I can live with that. If its already compressed then does that mean when you play it on a TV after encoding/decoding/burning etc... it will not be HD? I only ask as the model below is half the price and records 640x480 of which gives me visions of webcam quality. So if the TV quality is not going to be great I'm dubious to the purchase!
Old 25th June 2009, 10:29   #7
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Anything downscaled to a DVD is not HD however having more pixels will make the downgrading better. H264 is a great encoding and compression scheme but it does depend on the hardware doing it.

The truth is 640x480 is not HD either but it would look good on a standard TV. However on a HD widescreen it would be not very good.

I'd get the HD unit and I think you'll be very happy with it. Looking at some of the content on the websites it is very good.

Old 25th June 2009, 10:35   #8
The_Monk

-

Many Thanks! I'm sold!
Old 25th June 2009, 10:42   #9
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Monk View Post
Many Thanks! I'm sold!
Yeah and now you may have cost me some. i like the look of that.

Old 25th June 2009, 11:13   #10
The_Monk

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenWilliams View Post
Yeah and now you may have cost me some. i like the look of that.
Opps Sorry! Just checked the US stockists and they are all pre-order, a few on ebay so will have to ask my friend to purchase and ship one, or risk the customs charges.