Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th August 2009, 11:26   #1
pondweed
This is my second home

Waiter, Waiter! I seem to have a Roomster in my drive...

Default accessing databases on websites...?

anyone into this?
My web/host provider provides me with ASP.NET and I have an access database I'd like to try and link somehow, so I can set up a page template and let people choose things from an archive to look at. I'm quite happy with one way access - i.e. I don't want to gather peoples comments from web to database.

It all looks quite scary, and some are suggesting I really need to 'upgrade' to MS SQL for a proper job (thats another £5 a month for a developer package which I dont really want to go to)

Any suggestions as to what to read to learn how to do all this?!
pondweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 11:28   #2
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Not sure what that all means but you may find a tutorial here:-

http://www.w3schools.com/
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 22:03   #3
Simon
Banned

-

You can easily access the Access (excuse the pun ) database using ASP.NET or just ASP (the older version).

Access and MySQL are both databases and although MySQL is the 'preferred' one amongst the masses there are plenty of Access databases in mainstream use.

ASP and ASP.NET along with others such as PHP are what are known as 'server-side scripting' - basically it's computer code that gets 'translated' BEFORE the webpage reaches the client.

The link GG mentions above is a very good guide to learning all the differences between the different languages and has guides and tutorials on how to use the languages and develop them into your own application and needs.

If you've written webpages (using HTML/Javascript) then you should be okay at writing languages such as ASP.NET etc without too much of a learning curve. Equally - if you have a good computer programming background knowledge then this will also lead you in good stead for getting to grips with what you want to achieve.

Hope that helps.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 07:58   #4
pondweed
This is my second home

Waiter, Waiter! I seem to have a Roomster in my drive...

I'll follow up both these thanks. My websites are frontpage led, and then observing the codes made (and pinching other code and seeing what they do!)
So I've got a steep learning curve now I've bought a copy of the new MS Expression 3 web creation software just out... but I can see that once the basic web template plus database request, plus database are in place there can't be that much more to it. (ha ha..)
pondweed is offline   Reply With Quote