Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st October 2016, 06:05   #21
John3:16
Avid contributor

2.0 V6 Connoisseur Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Good work Neill but why are you changing the engine oil again? According to your other thread you've only just done it.
I thought that whilst I've got the car up on my nephew's hydraulic ramps I may as well make the most of it and change the engine oil too. I've always got a can or two of good quality oil in my garage and I've already got the oil filter so no extra layout for me. I've recently been diagnoised with a crumbling spine between the shoulder blades so crawling under the car on my drive later to do an oil change isn't that much fun
Another advantage of changing all the oils at once is that my nephew will arrange to recycle/dispose of the old oils and save me having to go to the local waste disposal site.
Neill

How do you get the quoted message in a nice small blue box Simon?

Neill

2.0 Petrol V6 75 Connoisseur Auto "Ginnie" ...finally stopped that darn thermostat from leaking !!

Last edited by John3:16; 19th October 2016 at 07:20.. Reason: Consecutive posts, please use the edit or multi-quote options ;-)
John3:16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2016, 08:11   #22
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

If you go back to your post in question, click the 'Edit' button and add this suffix to the text:

[/QUOTE]

It should then appear in a nice blue box.

Simon
Old 3rd October 2016, 19:42   #23
Avid contributor

2.0 V6 Connoisseur Auto

Oops ... got a bit of explaining to do to the Mrs about something I've just left on the drive. I am determined to get to the bottom of the Rover Automatic Transmission problem but, just in case it starts getting serious money, I've just bought her a Rover 75 Connoisseu SE Auto 1.8 Facelift 2004 (54) with FSH and low mileage. Nice. But to be honest the price was so low I couldn't refuse and it's got a long MOT with advisory of one tyre low tread and rear box blowing a bit (driving back with it over the Pennines the rear box evaporated so I've got a nice Throaty Sports Car now) so we now have 2 Rovers to play with.

Back to the original Rover with the Automatic Gearbox problem as I drove the newer Rover back I put her through a number of similar tests that I've done on mine and this newer Rover's gearbox is smooth, responsive and changes up and down faultlessly. I then tried the fault I noted in an earlier thread which was were I couldn't notice any difference from when the car was traveling along at 60mph and then the Sports Mode was selected and no additional pressure was put on the accelerator. Even when I did accelerate there was not noticeable difference in performance. On the car I purchased today, as I drove back along the M62, I cruised at 60mph and then flicked on the Sports Mode and immediately the gear dropped and the rev's increased approximately 1500 revs without any additional pressure on the accelerator. This been the case I think that Debz at Trikey's may have found the fault(?) by suggesting it is perhaps a Solenoid problem (or perhaps that it is more electrical than mechanical?). I'll drop Trikey a line and see if he can have a good expert 'guess' on this one. I am still going to do the Automatic Transmission Oil change though and see how this goes but I'm not going to change the engine oil as this was only done 3,000 miles ago.
I'll pass on what I find out.

2.0 Petrol V6 75 Connoisseur Auto "Ginnie" ...finally stopped that darn thermostat from leaking !!

Last edited by John3:16; 19th October 2016 at 07:22..
Old 4th October 2016, 12:07   #24
Avid contributor

2.0 V6 Connoisseur Auto

Bigger Oops ... the Mrs doesn't like the shape of the Facelift model at all ... oh bwead !!

Old 4th October 2016, 19:40   #25
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by John3:16 View Post
Bigger Oops ... the Mrs doesn't like the shape of the Facelift model at all ... oh bwead !!
I can understand her...
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 05:05   #26
Avid contributor

2.0 V6 Connoisseur Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by beinet1 View Post
I can understand her...
After a "nice" conversation I've been told to "Get my car sorted !! ... that other car is lower and square. It doesn't have the same smooth lines. I don't like the headlights, I like MY car, etc etc , nag, nag " so the automatic transmission is top priority on my to do list. Emailed Trikey and arranged to have her booked in.

The new car addition will probably be up for sale soon but not until I've replaced the rear exhaust, rear brake discs and pads and a new tyre on the front (all on order). I don't like to sell a car unless it's at MOT Pass standard.

Last edited by John3:16; 5th October 2016 at 05:15..
Old 5th October 2016, 11:10   #27
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Quote:
Emailed Trikey and arranged to have her booked in.

The car or the wife ????
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 19:12   #28
Avid contributor

2.0 V6 Connoisseur Auto

Hey ... you think Trikey can plug his T4 into the Mrs and access the failed sense of humour file (must be a very big file so it'll be easy to spot)?

Old 6th October 2016, 19:07   #29
Avid contributor

2.0 V6 Connoisseur Auto

Popped the car into nephew Matthew's garage (M&J Hull) and he plugged in his diagnostic tool into the car (durrrr ... now why didn't I think of going to see him last week?) and he ran several diagnostics using different software and couldn't find any fault codes showing to say there are faults with the automatic transmission solenoid(s). This I find strange as clearly the Sports Mode isn't working so there has to be an electrical/mechanical fault??

Booked his hydraulic ramp for next Wednesday morning to drain the transmission oil and fill her up with nice new "proper oil". Let's see how she responds after this. If this cures the gear changing but not the Sports Mode then I'm happy to live without Sports Mode. Don't use it anyway.

I'll keep you informed.

Last edited by John3:16; 13th March 2017 at 22:38..
Old 6th October 2016, 19:26   #30
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
... couldn't find any fault codes showing to say there are faults with the automatic transmission solenoid(s). This I find strange as clearly the Sports Mode isn't working so there has to be an electrical/mechanical fault?
Fault codes aren't generated for everything.
Have you done basic electrical continuity tests on the sports mode switch?

Simon