Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 9th September 2021, 12:48   #1
tony2021

MG ZT 190+

Default Oh no - Acrid Smoke starting coming out from under the Bonnet

Just thought I would write a post based on last week's experience with my ZT (2.5 V6) and for the benefit of anyone else who has the same experience.

It started with a sort of clanking noise while driving south over the Tyne Bridge last week (only 300 miles from home). When we got to the Gateshead side, it was a case of "what's that smell" followed by acrid smoke coming from under the bonnet.

I quickly stopped and switched off the engine. The smoke started clearing and seemed to have come from the bottom end of the Auxiliary Belt. After it cleared, I restarted the engine and quickly drove into the central reservation in order to get out of traffic and there I waited for the RAC to come - fearing the worst.

The patrolman didn't take long to get to the bottom of the problem. It seemed that the clutch on the air conditioning compressor had decided to go out in a blaze of glory. He advised turning the aircon off and restarting the engine. Everything ran smoothly, and I was able to drive the car to our hotel.

Next day, I took it to an RAC recommended garage who advised that "it could not get any worse" and I was cleared to drive home (aircon off).

No problem. A nice smooth drive home last Saturday evening - and quieter than usual. The car's now in the local garage getting a new aircon compressor installed. Does add to the cost of getting the belts done earlier in the year, but the car still looks great and drives like a new car (after the belts were done).

So, see acrid smoke - it may not be as bad as you fear - but do turn the aircon off.
tony2021 is offline   Reply With Quote