Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th January 2016, 17:01   #1
Mike24
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Auto Saloon Connoisseur SE

Default A cautionary radiator tale!

I had to take my youngest son up to Coventry (from Gerrards Cross) last Sunday and noticed that the heater was blowing cold. On arrival I checked the expansion tank - no coolant in sight - so I topped it up and headed back towards the M40. Just as I reached the M40 roundabout I noticed that the temperature gauge had reached about 11 o'clock so I went straight on at the roundabout and looked for somewhere to pull over. In my haste I took a left turn too fast in the wet and hit the kerb of the central island, damaging the offside front tyre.

Four hours late the Auto-aid vehicle turned up to take me (and my lovely wife) back to Gerrards Cross. On inspection I found that one of the aircon pipes that run behind the radiator had been pressing against the radiator and had created two holes!

I bought a secondhand radiator from a breakers, only to discover when it arrived that it also had a hole in it (couriers?) so I went to ECP and got a new one. I spent today fitting it - quite a palaver! But I didn't have too many bolts over at the end and the needle is back where it should be and the heater is blowing nice hot air.

I also made very sure that the aircon pipes are a good half inch away from the back of the radiator!
Mike24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 17:14   #2
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Well done, especially in being able to deal with it yourself.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 19:09   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Another one to be aware of is the radiator hose clips being positioned the wrong way around, this can lead to them rubbing the radiator away!!