Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th January 2015, 11:13   #1
levon

Rover 75

Default Alarm keeps going off after a few hours

I have an 02 Rover 75 and just yesterday this issue occurred at night. The car has been parked and locked by fob outside the house for several hours when the alarm starts going off. We go outside to see whats what but nothing wrong,no doors open or windows or bonnets or anything. So lock it again by fob and after an hour it starts going off once more. We leave it unlocked this time for a few hours and all is ok, start it up for a few minutes and then lock it by fob once more. All is ok until 4am this morning when the alarm starts going off once more so it has been left unlocked since.
Anybody any ideas what is causing this?
Also just wondering if there was a fuse or such that I could just disconnect the alarm altogether? As long as the car locks Id be happy to do without an alarm.

Last edited by levon; 25th January 2015 at 11:27..
levon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2015, 12:09   #2
myfirstrover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 cdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by levon View Post
I have an 02 Rover 75 and just yesterday this issue occurred at night. The car has been parked and locked by fob outside the house for several hours when the alarm starts going off. We go outside to see whats what but nothing wrong,no doors open or windows or bonnets or anything. So lock it again by fob and after an hour it starts going off once more. We leave it unlocked this time for a few hours and all is ok, start it up for a few minutes and then lock it by fob once more. All is ok until 4am this morning when the alarm starts going off once more so it has been left unlocked since.
Anybody any ideas what is causing this?
Also just wondering if there was a fuse or such that I could just disconnect the alarm altogether? As long as the car locks Id be happy to do without an alarm.
Mine did the same , it turned out to be a faulty BCU .
myfirstrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2015, 12:10   #3
RAY OF THE ROVERS
Avid contributor

rover 75 tourer

I had the same problem a few months back, it was the battery, a loose earth clamp on the battery. I tried tightening them but ended up opening the clamp gap with a file to get a tighter fit. Yours may be a completely different problem but its worth testing and cleaning the poles and clamps. Good luck.
RAY OF THE ROVERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2015, 12:21   #4
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

HI Pat.
Double check the bonnet switch as these can cause trouble in the very cold weather, also spray some white lithium grease into each door lock, if that fails you can unplug the alarm horn under the bonnet, it is next to the ecu .

Also try a battery reset and check the battery is in good condition fully charged, and lets not forget the plenums just in case they are flooded.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2015, 12:22   #5
levon

Rover 75

Just an update for you.The alarm didn't go off all day yesterday or last night while locked but at 6am this morning it started up. Now the car won't lock at all it says there is a fault but not what the fault is and also the ignition doesnt seem to be off fully. The speedometer and temp gauge are on and I can use the windows and wipers though I shouldn't be able to. It seems to be getting more complicated..
Old 26th January 2015, 12:41   #6
dadragon
Gets stuck in

Jaguar 3 litre sport. (Lee) Rover 75 Connoisseur T4'd (Roger) Rover 75 Connoisseur SE (Gaynor)

levon, as Arctic says battery reset is favourite, I had my alarm go off over the Christmas period and it kept happening every half Hour or so, cleaned the bonnet switch and left the battery off over night and it's been fine since.
Regards DaDragon
dadragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2015, 13:45   #7
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Pat.
What is the weather like in Ireland is it raining a lot then freezing at night if so once again I would check the plenums because if it is blocked with ice the water can and will build up rapid, but please make sure also you have a good battery even if you think it is good give it a charge over night.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=125864

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2015, 16:42   #8
levon

Rover 75

Arctic, Thank you for the advice,however that was cleaned out last Thursday and a new pollen filter fitted. Just seems to have started suddenly.I have the battery disconnected until tomorrow morning and then we shall see. I shall keep you all posted.
Old 26th January 2015, 17:52   #9
JEK
Avid contributor

Car sold to club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by levon View Post
Arctic, Thank you for the advice,however that was cleaned out last Thursday and a new pollen filter fitted. Just seems to have started suddenly.I have the battery disconnected until tomorrow morning and then we shall see. I shall keep you all posted.
As ARCTIC originally suggested, the problem may well be with the bonnet switch on the top of the slam panel.

I had the same problem with my ZT-T after coming through heavy rain in Cheltenham. The 'bonnet open' warning came on for a short while and then went out.
I thought all was OK until 3am in the morning when the alarm went off.
I shut all the doors and locked the car with the key but ended up having to disconnect the battery
It went off again the next evening and I had to do the same again.
I put the battery on charge and all seemed ok but it went off again.
The problem was only resolved when I changed the bonnet switch, making sure it was sprayed with WD40 first.

It has been ok since and that's a year back now.
Old 26th January 2015, 19:52   #10
Union Wheels
Loves to post

Honda Accord Tourer i dtec

Default Not setting alarm

Hi levon,
in your first post, you ask if there is some fuse you can pull to prevent the alarm going off.

I am sure I have read on this forum, that locking the car with the key in the door lock, does not set the alarm, although it locks the car.

Pete.

How to Retrofit Diesel Cruise Control + Loom
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...87&postcount=1

How to Modify a 3 Speed Fan for CDT & V6 into a 2 Speed with a Resistor.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=209920

CDT now gone to new owner, but still on forum
Union Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote