Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th September 2020, 15:51   #1
n00bzi11a

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Rover 75 remote key not working

Hi.
A couple weeks one of my remote keys stopped working (locked the car with the remote at night, next morning didn't unlock using the remote, no response from the car, had to unlock it with the key on driver's door). The battery for the remote was only 6 months old but I've changed it anyways, still no luck.

There are no red LED on the remote, so I've assumed that something was wrong with the key and went for the second one.

The second remote was ok but stopped working after a week, same way (went to the store, remote locked the car and when Ive returned, I'm not sure if I pressed the lock button again because the turn signals flashed but then no response and the car remained locked)

The second remote was showing no red LED, went home to replace the remote battery, but the LED was now solid red by itself (not flashing, just on).

• I've checked fuses for the alarm, interior lights, and other 5 Amp fuses but every single one of them was ok.
  • Removed the key battery and replaced it, the LED now lights up when pressed but the car doesn't respond to the remote.
  • Locking the car with the key on the drivers door locks everything and arms the alarm. Unlocking first time only unlocks the drivers door (as expected) and second unlocking unlocks everything else (again as expected).
  • The rocker switch next to the handbrake locks and unlocks without issues.
  • I've replaced the RF Receiver behind the dashboard but the issue remains.
  • Car battery is at 13.03V with everything turned off, cranks just fine and without any hesitation.
  • The alarm sounds just fine if the dor is opened from the inside when the car was locked from the outside.
  • Front Plenum is bone dry and didn't rain for weeks before the issue appeared.
  • I've left the car with the battery disconnected for 1 hour, tried the remote synchronization but nothing happened

In a nutshell, everything works fine except remote lock and unlock.

Since finding someone with a T4 here in Portugal is at least challenging, is there anything that I should try?

Thanks in Advance.
n00bzi11a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2020, 16:00   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Give this a try: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=305142. If you haven't already got it, download Toaf, lots of info in the search.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2020, 22:23   #3
lipsee
Regular poster

Touer,diesel auto,,

Ask HubNut!!!
lipsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2020, 22:40   #4
n00bzi11a

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Give this a try: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=305142. If you haven't already got it, download Toaf, lots of info in the search.

Regards
Hi Vitesse.

I'm going to try that tommorw in the morning. Seems weird but who knows.

I will let you know the results.
Old 29th September 2020, 22:53   #5
n00bzi11a

Rover 75 Tourer

Well, disconnecting the battery leads and touching each other has not solved the issue. It's still the same as before.
Any more suggestions?
Old 30th September 2020, 07:49   #6
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bzi11a View Post
Well, disconnecting the battery leads and touching each other has not solved the issue. It's still the same as before.
Any more suggestions?
Worth a try even if unsuccessful. OK next suggestion download Toaf version .43, not the latest one but the earlier version as there a bug in the programme that lets you re-code remote boards. If you haven't already got one you'll need a VW KKL cable too, you'll then have to bridge pins 7 & 8, most people solder them together or you could use wire. Use the search if in doubt.

When you've done this come back for instructions on how to re-code your remote boards. I've added secondhand remote boards to two cars using Toaf, quite easy following MarinaBrian's instructions although I think it was a guy called Trevor who originally discovered the possibility.

Regards
Old 1st October 2020, 21:28   #7
n00bzi11a

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi Vitesse.

I've managed to borrow from a friend of mine a VW KKL OBD2 cable.
I'm going to figure out how to short pins 7 and 8 without being irreversible or damaging something.

I've already dowloaded every file from TOAF, including version 43.

I'm going to see If I'm successfull this weekend and will give you guys some feedback.

Also, since TOAF is pretty much new to me, any guidelines would be appreciated.

Best Regards.
Old 2nd October 2020, 08:50   #8
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bzi11a View Post
Hi Vitesse.

I've managed to borrow from a friend of mine a VW KKL OBD2 cable.
I'm going to figure out how to short pins 7 and 8 without being irreversible or damaging something.

I've already dowloaded every file from TOAF, including version 43.

I'm going to see If I'm successfull this weekend and will give you guys some feedback.

Also, since TOAF is pretty much new to me, any guidelines would be appreciated.

Best Regards.
Try some thin wire like fuse wire if you don't want to solder the two pins together. I think you'll find Toaf very easy to use, any questions just ask, there was a poster on the MG Org site who made a short "users guide" but just give it a try.

Here's a link to the instructions to add remote boards: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=271435 post 2.

You'll need to open the keyfobs and find the sticker with the code on the remote boards. No creating bar codes like I believe the T4 has to do, my own T4 is a useless gigantic paperweight.

Finally, and this is the important bit, before making any changes to your BCU (body control module) make a back-up copy first so you can always restore it to the original state.

Regards
Old 11th October 2020, 19:32   #9
n00bzi11a

Rover 75 Tourer

So, a quick update.

After connecting both pins witj a wire and even trying with a drop of solder, the cable from my friend didnt work.

TOAF said it connected with the com port (even with the obd 2 disconnected) but could not foud any module (bcu, engine, etc).

I've ordered an blue obd2 vag cable, but it's going to arrive at the end of this month.

Until then... I'm locking and unlocking with the key in the door.

I will keeo you guys updated.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 3rd November 2020, 15:06   #10
n00bzi11a

Rover 75 Tourer

So, the cable has arrived today.

I'm going to shunt both pins and tey it tonight.

Feedback soon