Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th March 2020, 10:56   #11
drjonts
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerman View Post
Effectively they have a rolling extension by extending the expiry date of MOTs back by six months from when it currently expires.

Scott

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Cheers Scott...hadn't spotted the 6 month extension for each individual vehicle's test date.

Maybe that will relieve some of the pressure when things get back to normal.
drjonts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2020, 11:11   #12
hinged_bap
Gets stuck in

75 CDT Conn SE Auto saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_dave&gill View Post
There’s two different pages on gov.uk with advice on what to do depending on whether your MOT expires before 30th March or after

Coronavirus (COVID-19): MOTs for cars, vans and motorcycles due before 30 March 2020

Coronavirus (COVID-19): MOTs for cars, vans and motorcycles due from 30 March 2020

I'd guess that, assuming your MOT is not already expired, then probably cancelling it should be OK?

My MOT expires 3rd April, so I fall into the 6 month extension category.

I've just rang the place whom I booked in with for this Friday, he says: If it were to have an MOT this friday, and fail then its on the system as a fail and the 6 month extension PROBABLY wouldn't be granted ( as you're knowingly driving a dangerous vehicle ). He did however say it a massively grey area ATM and he is waiting for further details.

Last edited by hinged_bap; 25th March 2020 at 11:13..
hinged_bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2020, 11:47   #13
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

In NI we had this situation very recently, due to faulty/failing equipment, all MOT stations were shut down. Remember, we only have govt operated MOT centres. There were some functions that could be done, but were very limited, and generally done through the HGV lanes at the beginning of this shutdown (which were more like the old tests with manual testing and pits).

Extensions were granted, in certain conditions. The main one being, if it had a valid MOT, and you applied for its renewal normally. Your had to book your MOT to be able to obtain an extension, the appointment would have been cancelled and an extension cert. would be issued.

If it failed before the suspension/extension period, it remained an MOT failure until a retest was done - a retest would have been prioritised. You could not drive it except to get a repair.

If it was 4 years old, it would be due its first MOT, and therefore did not have a certificate to extend, however these tests would be prioritised.

A taxi would be prioritised, as would car dealer presented cars (that had been for sale).

NI Direct Link

As with a regular MOT, the car MUST be in roadworthy condition if it was to be used on the road. If you have a hole in the suspension arm, it is not in roadworthy condition, therefore cannot be used on a road. You were not aware of it? too bad. It should have been prepared for MOT. Bald tyres failed lights, not roadworthy. The garages remain open, so if you have doubts, take it to one.

If it was a normal situation (mots carrying on unaffected) you would still be required to make sure it was roadworthy. MOTs as they state, only indicate they were roadworthy at the time it was tested. Not even two seconds after. The rest of the year, the driver is responsible for its roadworthiness.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2020, 12:28   #14
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

My MOT was due to expire early April, but with the impending engine work I decided to take it in 5 weeks early. So, instead of a 6 month extension, I lost a month .

There's never a crystal ball handy when you ned one .

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2020, 14:16   #15
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Compressing all MOTs into effectively 6 months in future will put a great strain onto the system, even if they are spaced. I shall still try to send mine when due - fortunately my MOT garage is only 500 yards away, and my man will come to collect and return. If everyone stopped, then many garages would go out of business before the extension ceases.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2020, 16:06   #16
DRC66
Avid contributor

Rover 75 and 75 Tourer

What is being missed here is that most of the suppliers have shut up shop. My good friend has a garage and after only a couple of days of lock down is struggling to get parts for modern mainstream cars. He expects to close himself on Tuesday of next week due to this. In addition he has six staff. If he stays open with his cash flow severely reduced he won’t be able to pay his employees. Further if he stays open his employees won’t be eligible for the 80% government wages scheme. These two things combined mean he will close. MoT extension or not I think it will soon become very difficult to get an MoT and even harder to get your vehicle repaired if it needs that done to pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DRC66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2020, 16:42   #17
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Any mot due before the end of the month needs doing, if your mot expires after you will be given a 6 month extension which can be verified on the DVSA mot check site. Some garages are staying open but I think this is a bad idea, the chances of catching the virus from within a vehicle are huge. The mot is the minimum standard of road worthiness and fail rates are generally quite low so I don’t see an issue with the extension, obviously there will be some vehicles out there that shouldn’t be on the road but I think it will be the minority

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2020, 16:46   #18
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
Any mot due before the end of the month needs doing, if your mot expires after you will be given a 6 month extension which can be verified on the DVSA mot check site. Some garages are staying open but I think this is a bad idea, the chances of catching the virus from within a vehicle are huge. The mot is the minimum standard of road worthiness and fail rates are generally quite low so I don’t see an issue with the extension, obviously there will be some vehicles out there that shouldn’t be on the road but I think it will be the minority
I understood that fail rates had been rising of late, but I also believe that very few accidents are caused by MOT faults. That said, I always MOT my 40+ classics before use.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2020, 17:09   #19
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
Compressing all MOTs into effectively 6 months in future will put a great strain onto the system, even if they are spaced. I shall still try to send mine when due - fortunately my MOT garage is only 500 yards away, and my man will come to collect and return. If everyone stopped, then many garages would go out of business before the extension ceases.
I'm not sure that's how it's going to work.

The way I read it is that, say your MOT is due on May 11th (as mine is) then it will now not be due until November 11th, and then will stay on this date for future renewal. Logically, it doesn't really make sense to have the next one on November 11th and then another 6 months later on the original May 11th anniversary, as the one on the new date should still be valid for a year
Old 25th March 2020, 17:13   #20
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

The 6 month extension becomes your new due date so the next would be 12 months later

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote