Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th October 2013, 12:49   #1
Trevor1975
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon cdt club SE 1999

Default Clutch pedal issue

Help,

I had an issue last night getting into reverse.... a little more difficult than usual. parked up... came out to the car this morning and the biting position was very low. the pedal seemed lower than usual...

I managed to limp to work with the clutch right up to the carpet to change gears....

When I was nealy at work, thinking of leaving it there, I lifted the padal with my foot a couple of times and everything returned to normal.

There is no obvious sign of leaking around the new looking master cylinder, and the clutch was changed just over a year ago for £700 by the previous owner, so I assume this included master and slave...

What is the likely cause of this? I'm scratching my head a bit, and cant check under the bell housing for any leaks...

Tried a couple of full boost accelerations in 3rd but no clutch slipping (phew)..

Any advice much appreciated.
Old 8th October 2013, 14:47   #2
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts
Red face

I have just had exactly the same problem,at first there was no sign of a leak under the bell housing, called the AA, who came and bled the clutch. #
Loads of air in the system, but no leak although the fluid reservoir was almost empty. I t was fine for a week then the same happened, but this time it was accompanied by a 50p size of fluid under the drain hole.
get under the car, remove undertray if you have one, then put your finger in the drain hole at the bottom of the bell housing and see if it comes out covered in fluid.
I would suspect that the slave or master has a s light leak that is not showing yet.
Another thing to do, is remove the reservoir cap and rubber seal, then dip your finger in to check the level, if it feels low, top it up by means of a syringe and length of tube. You will need to bleed the system though, the AA man used a large clear syringe with a tube on the bleed valve and just sucked the fluid through until the bubbles stopped, then closed the valve and topped up fluid.
Old 8th October 2013, 16:26   #3
Trevor1975
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
I have just had exactly the same problem,at first there was no sign of a leak under the bell housing, called the AA, who came and bled the clutch. #
Loads of air in the system, but no leak although the fluid reservoir was almost empty. I t was fine for a week then the same happened, but this time it was accompanied by a 50p size of fluid under the drain hole.
get under the car, remove undertray if you have one, then put your finger in the drain hole at the bottom of the bell housing and see if it comes out covered in fluid.
I would suspect that the slave or master has a s light leak that is not showing yet.
Another thing to do, is remove the reservoir cap and rubber seal, then dip your finger in to check the level, if it feels low, top it up by means of a syringe and length of tube. You will need to bleed the system though, the AA man used a large clear syringe with a tube on the bleed valve and just sucked the fluid through until the bubbles stopped, then closed the valve and topped up fluid.
Thanks

Only trouble is, I am not really mobile enough to get under the car (Arthritis / autoimmune tendon and ligament attacking condition), it was a struggle just getting down to look at the master cylinder!)

I'll have my garage take a look (££££ )

I was thinking I might mark the fluid level today and check again every day to see if it is going down (obviously in the same parking position).

I'm hoping its just a bit of air that got around to the master cylinder, but hope is fading, sounds like a rubbish slave cylinder might have been fitted by the previous owner (£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££)

Last edited by Trevor1975; 8th October 2013 at 16:28..
Trevor1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013, 17:55   #4
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice man View Post
Thanks

Only trouble is, I am not really mobile enough to get under the car (Arthritis / autoimmune tendon and ligament attacking condition), it was a struggle just getting down to look at the master cylinder!)

I'll have my garage take a look (££££ )

I was thinking I might mark the fluid level today and check again every day to see if it is going down (obviously in the same parking position).

I'm hoping its just a bit of air that got around to the master cylinder, but hope is fading, sounds like a rubbish slave cylinder might have been fitted by the previous owner (£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££)
Well Trevor, I had a Britpart Freelander slave fitted 16000 miles ago, since the problem reared its ugly head again, I have since heard of at least 2 other 75 owners who did the same, then this has happened to them too, slave failing after a short time. The forum clutch expert Andy Willi, will not use anything other than LUK clutch hydraulics, so taking advice from him and getting this fitted this week. At least LUK parts come with a decent warranty , so I'm told. As for marking the level, the reservoir is not transparent so can't be done accurately. Perhaps get a neighbour or friend to look under the car for you. If thee is a leak, it will be evident, just look at the ground under the car after you move it.

Last edited by RPWC; 8th October 2013 at 17:59..
RPWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013, 18:52   #5
Trevor1975
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Well Trevor, I had a Britpart Freelander slave fitted 16000 miles ago, since the problem reared its ugly head again, I have since heard of at least 2 other 75 owners who did the same, then this has happened to them too, slave failing after a short time. The forum clutch expert Andy Willi, will not use anything other than LUK clutch hydraulics, so taking advice from him and getting this fitted this week. At least LUK parts come with a decent warranty , so I'm told. As for marking the level, the reservoir is not transparent so can't be done accurately. Perhaps get a neighbour or friend to look under the car for you. If thee is a leak, it will be evident, just look at the ground under the car after you move it.
I can see the sump tray from above the engine and there is no fluid evident.

It has only done this once in 3000 miles I've done.

Cant see a leak around the Master.

what I did find is an unusual weak spring that may have been retro / bodged onto the clutch pedal..

It is supposed to have a coiled spring like this:

I have a slight hope that the lack of a proper return spring might have allowed the pedal to progressively work down. Since pulling the pedal up this morning it has been fine, drove 11 miles home with lots of clutch action.

I'm going to put a stronger spring on and see if that helps...
Old 8th October 2013, 21:18   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

It really looks like you've solved your own problem. Good luck.

That spring is much too weak.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013, 21:28   #7
Trevor1975
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
It really looks like you've solved your own problem. Good luck.

That spring is much too weak.
Hope so, it was only thanks to you guys and pictures from this forum.

Slave might still be starting to weep a little bit ...
Old 12th October 2013, 16:01   #8
Trevor1975
Gets stuck in

Fixed for £2.20 (I hope )

Pedal is a bit heavier now but it always returns also fixed an annoying springy rattle I was hearing. its now all sorted
Old 2nd August 2015, 20:29   #9
maciejk
Avid contributor

99 Rover 75 CDT

hey trevor1975 how is that spring working out for your clutch? my clutch also dosen't return to the top and when i depress the clutch i have to depress it all the way down so it hits the floor to get the gear in, when i pull it back up by hand then when depressing i don't have to depress it all the way to the floor to get the gear in, i hope a spring like yours will be a permanent fix.