Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th December 2007, 12:42   #111
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinW View Post
If you yourself have sufficient engineering knowledge, as I'm sure you have, then is it not possible to enter into some meaningful discussion about how to achieve both our aims?

Colin
Colin, I fear the only way to achieve power increase and reduce emmisions would be (dare I say it) to go and buy a more modern diesel...then there would be no owners club, no forum, no discussions and we would all be driving around in little chinese tin boxes partially built from metal that was stolen from our churches and schools.
Old 8th December 2007, 12:51   #112
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie-Biker in a suit View Post
Colin, I fear the only way to achieve power increase and reduce emmisions would be (dare I say it) to go and buy a more modern diesel...then there would be no owners club, no forum, no discussions
Exactly.

Russ

P.S. I will be unavailable to comment for a few days , so don't think I'm ignoring anyone.

Last edited by BigRuss; 8th December 2007 at 13:06.. Reason: spelling
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007, 12:51   #113
Ross R75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Nobody is paying lipservice to Rincewinds report. It stands on it's own merit. Also we are all aware that those tests having nothing to do with the MOT. They demonstrate what the EGR system is doing to remove NOXious gases. If you or anybody else wish to ignore it, then that's your perogative. It clearly suits your argument if it is ignored. But sure as eggs are eggs, it will come. So then what?

Colin
It makes no difference to my argument. Its not tested for in the MOT and even if it does become part of the test, it will not be retrospectively applicable so will have no impact on our cars.

Quote:
What's the point. The 'Bypass brigade' wouldn't take part. Even one of our own moderators voiced this quite clearly- he couldn't care a damn. That's a sad thing in itself, in as much that it seems to have clouded judgment to the point that nobody is even considering the possibility the're other ways.
Colin
I think its exceptionally narrow minded and incredibly arrogant to take the stand that the club members are so unintelligent that they have somehow been brainwashed by one person's opinion and views. Everybody makes their own decisions and so far as they don't break the law of the land, they must be respected. Democracy and freedom of speech in action.

Quote:

If you yourself have sufficient engineering knowledge, as I'm sure you have, then is it not possible to enter into some meaningful discussion about how to achieve both our aims?

Colin
I'm no engineer and my understanding of diesel engines and the M47R in particular has been self gained rather than taught. The EGR bypass tube available to us is of a basic design but it does its job perfectly.

The one way I can see to improve it would require a remap to the ECU to recalibrate the values for total volume and flow rate of the intake air ducting. You could then retain the EGR system but increase the diameter of the EGR valve and the intake manifold itself by an amount equal to or greater than the volume of the EGR valve piston. This would maintain the re-burn of noxious gasses whilst continuing to increase the volume of induced air.

In my opinion this approach would be prohibitively expensive due to the small market for this type of device but it would definitely increase engine performance whilst maintaining lower emissions.

Last edited by Ross R75; 8th December 2007 at 12:54..
Ross R75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007, 13:09   #114
ColinW
Regular poster

R 75 Club CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie-Biker in a suit View Post
Colin, I fear the only way to achieve power increase and reduce emmisions would be (dare I say it) to go and buy a more modern diesel...then there would be no owners club, no forum, no discussions and we would all be driving around in little chinese tin boxes partially built from metal that was stolen from our churches and schools.

You're absolutely right!
However, there's a lot of us out there, who are sort of lumbered with what we've got.
The M47R engine is basical quite good, suffering as it does by the BMW constraints. I do understand, despite what some might say, that if some of it's latent power can be released (for those that want it), then yes, that is a good thing.

My only reservation is it should'nt be at any cost

So, getting back to the original discussion - I think there should be a poll, to see how many people would:-

A/ Have a bypass operation
B/ Leave well alone
C/ Happy with bypass
D/ Would disable EGR
E/ Change back from bypass or disabled EGR
F/ Unsure

So how about it?

Colin
ColinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007, 13:27   #115
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Quote:
So, getting back to the original discussion - I think there should be a poll, to see how many people would:-

A/ Have a bypass operation
B/ Leave well alone
C/ Happy with bypass
D/ Would disable EGR
E/ Change back from bypass or disabled EGR
F/ Unsure

So how about it?

Colin
Sounds like a good idea - especially if people would explain their reasoning. Then those of us for whom mechanical engineering is wizardry, would have a range of ideas to directly compare.

I think it should be a completely separate thread to this one though.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007, 14:11   #116
Rincewind
Loves to post

MINI Cooper S Works (Superchardged not Turbo!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigruss42 View Post
If fact as Rinceweed said himself
Who is this Rinceweed character? He keeps popping up and making an appearance - does anyone know what he drives??

Nic

The difference is, when you shout, "Where's my clean socks?", no-one answers

MGR stories, MGR help and advice all available at no extra cost !

The Two Sixties - it's a V8 thing ... Honorary Member and Puddle of V8/4/6cyl Knowledge et al.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Come see who I work for at www.vca.gov.uk without us, the world would be a right mess!
Rincewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007, 14:18   #117
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
Who is this Rinceweed character? He keeps popping up and making an appearance - does anyone know what he drives??

Nic
Not everybody has read Pratchett I guess Nic
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007, 15:30   #118
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Quote:
To Zeb & Raistlin

My, you are sensitive souls. I can assure you if I really was trying to be rude, I probably would be banned from this forum.

However, I get very iritated - as much as you do- when factual reports such as posted by Rincewind, are looked at with a completly different perspective to the truth. By which I mean, it was viewed by one or two, as supporting the disconnection of the EGR and it wasn't till I persisted in getting Rincewind to explain this, that it was eventually cleared up. One member did have the guts to admit he got it wrong.

Another thing, I offered, what I thought was a concession, to put our thinking caps on, and perhaps come up with some form of halfway house, where the environmentalists, and the bypass brigade, can each have a bit of the cake. Virtualy no response.

How many read the contents of the link I put up.? One to my knowledge. If others had actually read it, then you would have seen that the alteration of injection timing, to 12 deg BDC, had a dramatic effect on emmisions. That's why I suggested that anybody into re-mapping might like to have a go. I know that's asking a bit much, but at least it should have sparked debate.

I've got some ideas which I am exploring. Which, if I can find time, I will try & implement. Not for any commercial gain, just out of interest.

So you see, when people criticise, without offering anything in return, and the only goal they seem to have, is power at any cost, is there any wonder I get frustrated.

Colin
There is a difference between being a 'sensitive soul' and expecting good manners from people.....the rest of your points are unrelated to your lack of them..

On a happier note, the thread itself is absolutely fascinating
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007, 15:39   #119
Rincewind
Loves to post

MINI Cooper S Works (Superchardged not Turbo!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
Not everybody has read Pratchett I guess Nic
I know, thought I'd lighten the mood a little (he he)

The difference is, when you shout, "Where's my clean socks?", no-one answers

MGR stories, MGR help and advice all available at no extra cost !

The Two Sixties - it's a V8 thing ... Honorary Member and Puddle of V8/4/6cyl Knowledge et al.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Come see who I work for at www.vca.gov.uk without us, the world would be a right mess!
Rincewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007, 16:04   #120
andyw
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi (departed to pastures new) MGTF, MGC,

Presumably Rinceweed drives a weedy 110 version of the R75
andyw is offline   Reply With Quote