Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th July 2015, 09:50   #1
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile Headlight Adjustment

Hi I have asked before but received a token reply, so here hoping of a more precise one.

Having changed my driver side dipped beam bulb (H7), it noticed that the beam was too high, checked to ensure that not fitted it upside down, that was ok, so what can be wrong? I thought, proceeded to adjust horizontal position via manual adjusted on top of the unit, that was ok, but required quite a few turns, now the automatic up/down reset on first switching on has stopped working on this side, but works as it should on NS, so has something become detached, I ask, is so what?
Can it be fixed?, both sides were working fine before adjusting, the stepper motors work, as I can hear them.
By the way the vertical manual adjuster appears not to work, the cog turns with ease but the metal rod around/through it does not, is there a fix.
Please help as I need a working headlight urgently.
Thank you
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 20:00   #2
grivas

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Well it is very re assuring that nobody on this forum as any comment to make by way of help.
Thank you
Old 30th July 2015, 20:46   #3
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Well it is very re assuring that nobody on this forum as any comment to make by way of help.
Thank you
I believe we stated that the adjusting screw may have wound off of the end and or that the adjuster motor may have jammed and needed a good thump on the headlight to jarr it loose again...

That advice still stands if you want to take any notice of it...
Old 30th July 2015, 20:50   #4
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

What about the ball & socket movement, it may have popped out also, you need to take the unit out to have a look You can then just pop it back into position. I believe Pete showed you a detailed account of possibilities previously
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 20:52   #5
RayH
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Hi I have asked before but received a token reply, so here hoping of a more precise one.

Having changed my driver side dipped beam bulb (H7), it noticed that the beam was too high, checked to ensure that not fitted it upside down, that was ok, so what can be wrong? I thought, proceeded to adjust horizontal position via manual adjusted on top of the unit, that was ok, but required quite a few turns, now the automatic up/down reset on first switching on has stopped working on this side, but works as it should on NS, so has something become detached, I ask, is so what?
Can it be fixed?, both sides were working fine before adjusting, the stepper motors work, as I can hear them.
By the way the vertical manual adjuster appears not to work, the cog turns with ease but the metal rod around/through it does not, is there a fix.
Please help as I need a working headlight urgently.
Thank you
Was it too high before you changed the bulb?
RayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2015, 21:16   #6
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

You can do a little fix on the non working cog by pulling the spindle with pliers until the correct level, and, using one of those plastic cable connector blocks on the spindle, tighten the screw in the block when correct.
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 06:53   #7
grivas

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Thank you all, my patience and frustration got the better of me, thank you all again and I apologise for coming across as ungrateful, your comments all make perfect sense, as always.
Old 31st July 2015, 07:01   #8
grivas

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayH View Post
Was it too high before you changed the bulb?
Yes it was, and that led me to believe that I might have inserted the bulb upside down, but on re checking that was NOT the case, I then proceeded to adjust the beam using the vertical manual adjuster above the headlight unit, when I completed this I found that the internal adjuster in the cabin will only adjust the NS unit, so I think that something has become either jammed or disconnected, however I am trying to understand what caused the beam to aim high in the first place. It was adjusted correctly at MOT time in March as the aim was a little out, about a month a go I changed the bulb as it had blown but had not noticed the aim was high until a week ago, as had done no night driving.
Old 31st July 2015, 07:05   #9
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Yes it was, and that led me to believe that I might have inserted the bulb upside down, but on re checking that was NOT the case, I then proceeded to adjust the beam using the vertical manual adjuster above the headlight unit, when I completed this I found that the internal adjuster in the cabin will only adjust the NS unit, so I think that something has become either jammed or disconnected, however I am trying to understand what caused the beam to aim high in the first place. It was adjusted correctly at MOT time in March as the aim was a little out, about a month a go I changed the bulb as it had blown but had not noticed the aim was high until a week ago, as had done no night driving.
Is the bulb loose in the holder, or perhaps the clip isn't holding it in properly.

Rev Jules
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2015, 07:39   #10
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Have you had a closer look at the bulb, it`s not unknown for a faulty miss shaped one to slip through the factory checks, but if it was high before I doubt it is at fault.
When we changed both headlight units on my saloon and had them set in a garage, one was bang on and the needed the slightest of turns.
I know it`s no help to you but I was moved to reply because it looked like your heart was breaking with no response.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote