Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th May 2008, 11:16   #11
Phil_B
Regular poster

MGZT 135+

Yeah, I guess i know what you mean Colin, but I am a big believer in using the right tool for the job. Each to their own and all that.

Either way timbotambo, I'm sure you will be fine fitting this yourself. And I'm pretty sure I would speak for all here when I say don't be afraid to ask questions. Use the search function first so you are not repeating common questions and no one will get "fed up". But if you don't ask, you may never find out!
Phil_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 11:18   #12
GERFIX
I really should get out more.......

MINI COOPER S

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbotambo View Post
Cheers for the advice and the vote of confidence(s). At least there is a good knowledge base if I get really stuck. How long do you think it would take, including fiting, fitting, testing all the parts?
If you're really not mechanically minded but manage to get everything in the right place it'll probably take you 2-3 hours I'd imagine, including a few short runs to set it up. Remember, when you change the settings you need to do it with the ignition off as any changes with the car running will not be recognised. IIRC Ron suggests the ignition being off for about 20 seconds then make your change to the settings.

GERFIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 14:28   #13
timbotambo
Avid contributor

ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERFIX View Post
If you're really not mechanically minded but manage to get everything in the right place it'll probably take you 2-3 hours I'd imagine, including a few short runs to set it up. Remember, when you change the settings you need to do it with the ignition off as any changes with the car running will not be recognised. IIRC Ron suggests the ignition being off for about 20 seconds then make your change to the settings.
Out of curiosity, what settings do you have yours on (or anyone else)? With a new PB maf I can set anything from 4-9 apparantly. My need for the box is to give better lower down grunt suited for suburban/city centre Birmingham driving, but still achieving mid-30's fuel consumption. Basically, good throttle response. I get good pull in the higher revs already, and especially 3rd gear.

Also, what benefit is there to setting 10 with "the MAF section switched off"? What would this do? I don't want to be lifting the bonnet all the time to change settings so a happy median would be fine. Thanks
timbotambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 14:38   #14
podge

Rover 75 Tourer CDT CLUB SE Copper Red Mica Dec 01 ....now deceased....replaced by2003 Royal Blue T

Just follow Ron's instructions to the letter and you will be o.k., 2to 3 hours shuold be more than enough.I run mine on setting 6 and thats o.k. for me, goes like a rocket on setting 8, but 6 returns 48/52mpg no problem and it has sorted out the lumpy tickover as well.Please keep asking if you have any problems, the guys/gals on here are first rate and we will never get fed up...................as long as its not another silver one!!!!!!!!!!( I shall now run for cover!)P.

B.M.Ws loss........OUR GAIN!!!!!!!!
http://knowledgerush.com/wiki_image/...arp.300pix.jpghttp://farm1.static.flickr.com/167/3...b847e1c5_m.jpg
podge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 15:56   #15
GERFIX

MINI COOPER S

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what settings do you have yours on (or anyone else)? With a new PB maf I can set anything from 4-9 apparantly. My need for the box is to give better lower down grunt suited for suburban/city centre Birmingham driving, but still achieving mid-30's fuel consumption. Basically, good throttle response. I get good pull in the higher revs already, and especially 3rd gear.

Also, what benefit is there to setting 10 with "the MAF section switched off"? What would this do? I don't want to be lifting the bonnet all the time to change settings so a happy median would be fine. Thanks
I have mine set on 6. It's a happy medium. Any higher than that and I get more smoke. Setting on 10 is for full-on performance AFAIK. I used that setting a couple of weeks ago with my Bosch MAF fitted. Definitely lots of smoke. Also used a lot more fuel! You wouldn't switch the MAFAM section off at all as it has to be on when used in conjunction with the PB MAF.

Old 18th May 2008, 16:36   #16
timbotambo
Avid contributor

ZT

Talking

Well should at least update you on how it went!

Spent sat morning under the bonnet, getting grimey.

The big problems for me were removing the first electrical connection as it was stuck tight (used pliers), finding the bladdy screws on the back of the air filter cover (easy once you know where to look) and removing the maf screws. Bought some star screwdrivers from Halfords but they were the wrong ones grrr! Carried on regardless and got the front one off no problem with the pliers, but the back wouldnt budge and wouldnt saw to make a slot for a normal screwdriver! Ran out of time on Sat as had to drive to Gatwick so just ran it with the Synergy fitted and not the PB maf.

Used the reccomended settings with the Bosch (4, then 3) ..........LOTS of black smoke!! Really when accelerating at low revs was most noticable. Turned the maf off as the guide suggests and smoke went, but so did much of the performance

ANYWAY, finally changed the screwdriver set at Halfords today, got the maf sensor out and in with the PB one, setting 6 all systems on.........wow! Great difference and NO SMOKE! Such good pick up at low speeds!! Only a quick run so far but dead chuffed.

Have placed the temp sensor wire on the engine cover as suggested, and placed the synergy box on the right hand side of the battery, stuck on using the velcro and the wire things running nearby keeping it stuck fast.

Will report more after longer run!!!

Air filter looked grotty, does changing it to the reccomended BMC Filter make a noticable difference? i.e. £60 worth of difference?

ps anyone near north Birmingham needs a star screwdriver, let me know
timbotambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 10:33   #17
GERFIX

MINI COOPER S

Quote:
Well should at least update you on how it went!

Spent sat morning under the bonnet, getting grimey.

The big problems for me were removing the first electrical connection as it was stuck tight (used pliers), finding the bladdy screws on the back of the air filter cover (easy once you know where to look) and removing the maf screws. Bought some star screwdrivers from Halfords but they were the wrong ones grrr! Carried on regardless and got the front one off no problem with the pliers, but the back wouldnt budge and wouldnt saw to make a slot for a normal screwdriver! Ran out of time on Sat as had to drive to Gatwick so just ran it with the Synergy fitted and not the PB maf.

Used the reccomended settings with the Bosch (4, then 3) ..........LOTS of black smoke!! Really when accelerating at low revs was most noticable. Turned the maf off as the guide suggests and smoke went, but so did much of the performance

ANYWAY, finally changed the screwdriver set at Halfords today, got the maf sensor out and in with the PB one, setting 6 all systems on.........wow! Great difference and NO SMOKE! Such good pick up at low speeds!! Only a quick run so far but dead chuffed.

Have placed the temp sensor wire on the engine cover as suggested, and placed the synergy box on the right hand side of the battery, stuck on using the velcro and the wire things running nearby keeping it stuck fast.

Will report more after longer run!!!

Air filter looked grotty, does changing it to the reccomended BMC Filter make a noticable difference? i.e. £60 worth of difference?

ps anyone near north Birmingham needs a star screwdriver, let me know
Told you you could do it Tim. Sounds like you managed fine despite you running out of time on day 1. The BMC filter will probably help a fair bit with less restricted airflow. I opted to keep the standard filter for the time being, more for financial reasons than anything else.
You'll never tire of the increased power and drivability.