Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th January 2016, 08:43   #11
Lord of Hog
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 in Wedgwood Blue

Always a good idea to have an additional named driver or two. In the eyes of the company computer it spreads the risk a bit. That said, what I'm paying to insure my 2.5 litre 75 is less than half what my 76-year old mum was asked to stump up for her 1.4 litre Micra SVE.

AND ANOTHER THING ..... if the computer knows whether or not your car is insured when you go to tax it how come it's apparently so difficult to track the uninsured drivers down and arrest / beat up / burn / generally abuse them?

Last edited by Lord of Hog; 8th January 2016 at 08:53..
Lord of Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 08:57   #12
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Hog View Post
AND ANOTHER THING ..... if the computer knows whether or not your car is insured when you go to tax it how come it's apparently so difficult to track the uninsured drivers down and arrest / beat up / burn / generally abuse them?
Apparently they know about tax whether or not you are using the car or where it's parked and can/do prosecute accordingly, this I presume will include whether insured or not, the only difference being keeping / or using a motor vehicle etc.

Only need to read local paper for court appearances to see the numbers in your area. Some will be keeping / others via ANPR using

chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 09:26   #13
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Doesn't seem to be any real competition among the companies using comparison sites. Tesco came out top of the list every time. All details exactly the same for each quote. Tried Direct Line, Privilege, Aviva etc. and all over the top.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 10:05   #14
Vanbursta
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Conn

My renewal was £370, last year the same insurance cost me £190, I telephoned to say I wouldn't renew with the current company (Swinton) and then they immediately reduced the price to £190!! Why not just quote me the better price to start with? That would be because most people don't check renewal prices as they assume the insurance company will play nice.

On a further note my ex was learning to drive and I had a Granada Cosworth, I asked for a price to add her to the insurance and they refused to insure her, but they did add her name to the policy which reduced the price by £25.00!! So she was named on the policy, but there was an exclusion stating she wasn't allowed to drive the car. Simply crazy.
Old 8th January 2016, 10:24   #15
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

I'm at a loss as to why everyone doesn't have their spouse on the car insurance anyway, as long as they can drive.
Just makes sense to me.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 11:04   #16
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rovering Member View Post
I'm at a loss as to why everyone doesn't have their spouse on the car insurance anyway, as long as they can drive.
Just makes sense to me.
That's the key maybe - as long as they can drive, shared mileage. Mrs. Heddy doesn't drive.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 11:08   #17
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

WOW just got a quote off Tesco car insurance for £985 Are they having a laugh! I dont do more than 2000 miles a year, clean licence. the car is garaged every night & I've never made a claim in 40+ years of motoring.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 11:27   #18
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

I was not looking forward to the renewal on my ZT260. I was very surprised, virtually identical to last year (within a few quid) and less than I paid for my ZT1.8T.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 11:49   #19
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

There's no rhyme or reason to their quotes, That's the second one around that amount I've been quoted. If I cant get the quote down this 75 will be getting the heave ho. I paid less than a third of the £985 tesco quoted for my 1965 6.4 litre Tbird.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 12:07   #20
Mogodon
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 135+ Diesel Auto Mk2. Nisan Micra 1.4 SVE Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
WOW just got a quote off Tesco car insurance for £985 Are they having a laugh! I dont do more than 2000 miles a year, clean licence. the car is garaged every night & I've never made a claim in 40+ years of motoring.
Perversely, telling them the car is garaged at night can actually INCREASE the premium. Something to do with thieves thinking if it's in a secure garage it's more valuable so is more of a theft risk than on the road or an open driveway. Also if in a garage the tea leaves can "work" on it without being seen
Plenum spyhole mod. Powerflow backbox. 11 spoke alloys repainted Black Sparkle. Black Expansion tank. Drivers side cup holder. PPD carpeted heater box sides. Illuminated sun visors, PPD Door reflectors. PPD Seatbelt lower mount bolt covers. PPD Drivers grab handle. Cubby rechargeable torch and power socket. FBH retro-fitted. FBH engine pre-heater mod done. Electric rear Sunblind. Tow bar. Flip key. MGR towing mirrors and Saloon roof bars.

Hand Built in Birmingham
Mogodon is offline   Reply With Quote