Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th May 2008, 20:25   #1
brum29
Passed Away

Rover 75 Tourer 2L CDT Club SE 2002

Default My new Synergy 2 + PB maf

Hi to all, got my stuff from Roverron today, Pierburgh MAF and Synergy 2, hoping to fit tomorrow if rain holds off. Not that you will recall but I'm the guy who knows nothing about messing about under the bonnet. As I have already been through the traumatic experience of stripping the engine down to unplug the wire bits out of the Bosh MAF I know what to do to get that far. So, having read every thread and post on here about this thingy and read the instructions sent by Ron a dozen times just a couple of bit I can't get my head around before I start. First, does it matter which why round the new MAF is inserted ( and don't mean plug side up) or can it go in only one way? Second, I've got a good idea that the pluggy things at the end of the cable of the Synergy 2 go to the top of MAF and the other bit to existing plug of the cable that I have already disconnected, but where do the two three pronged plugs in the middle of the Synergy cable go? Third, the long thin bit of wire, which I think is some sort of temparature sensor, does it just go anywhere in particular in the engine compartment and does it have to be strapped down. Fourth and last, if I want to just run on 5 or 6, as Ron has suggested, what position are the two switches, power and maf, set to for normal running.

Any help gladly and greatfully accepted but in the simplest speak possible please. Plus any other points that I need to know that I might have missed. Cheers KB
brum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 21:06   #2
podge
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Tourer CDT CLUB SE Copper Red Mica Dec 01 ....now deceased....replaced by2003 Royal Blue T

I have had my set a few months now, super bit of kit, setting 6 and 50/54 mpg! Now, I am sure the MAF can only be fitted one way, I seem to remeber it has a curved off set for this.

My temp sensor is OUTSIDE the aircleaner, it seems the best place

the three pronged plub fits in the loom UNDER the engine cover on r/h/s, best to remove cover for access, and I leave both switches DOWN

the only tricky bit was the 5 pin plug, you may need to gently tease the pins apart/together to get them to fit the loom, and try to route the loom as far away from injector looms as possible. Good luck.P.
OOPS! First picture should have been

B.M.Ws loss........OUR GAIN!!!!!!!!
http://knowledgerush.com/wiki_image/...arp.300pix.jpghttp://farm1.static.flickr.com/167/3...b847e1c5_m.jpg
podge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 21:45   #3
brum29
Passed Away

Thanks for that Podge, that three pronged plug that fits on the R/H/S is it easy to see and is there anthing connected to it already, as I don't know why there are two on the Synergy 2 cable, being male and female plugs,any help please.Cheers KB
Old 15th May 2008, 06:54   #4
pondweed
This is my second home

Waiter, Waiter! I seem to have a Roomster in my drive...

whatever you pull out for the synergy leaves 2, which those two plug into!

read the Ron fitting notes! they describe exactly how to fit a synergy....
pondweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 07:10   #5
GERFIX

MINI COOPER S

Nice picks Podge. Big help for the novices!

Brum, as Pondweed says, follow Rons photographic instructions to the letter. It should be clear enough, even to the non-technically minded. Just remember, there should be no spare connectors left over when you are finished!!

Both switches should be "ON". If the MAFAM switch is left "OFF" then it won't work properly as this is vital when using the PB MAF. It would only be left off if you were using the original Bosch MAF and even then only if that was working efficiently.
HTH

GERFIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 13:25   #6
brum29
Passed Away

Hi to all, done the deed fitted Roverron's Synergy 2 this morning plus the pierburg MAF. I must admit through the help given on this site by all you great guys it was as easy as you all said it was, so thank you very much for that everyone.

In saying that it took me about 45 minutes to strip the bits and pieces off, remove the old MAF put the new one in and connect Ron's Synergy 2. It then has taken me three hours to try and get the air filter cover back on and to no avail, I've pulled and pushed and even talked to it nicely at one stage then I threatened it but I still can't get all the 5 little bolts back in. One at the back is impossible to get in and the one at the front to the left of the oil filler jumped out and is in the pan thingy at the bottom, the other two at the front ones in and the other is slightly in but is a bit cross threaded. When tightening the one at the back the long reach allen key slipped and is now keeping the bolt that jumped out company in the pan at the bottom. My backs hurting so much now that I have had to call it quites for today and will probably have to take it to a garage to get the air filter cover put on properly.

Started it up and every thing works fine, to me anyway, have got it set on 5 at the moment took it for a bit of a run and it accelerats like crazy, to how it has been running for the last couple of years, so right pleased. Big cheer for RoverRon, looks a good bit of kit, just a pity about the air filter cover.

Cheers KB (going to feel sorry for myself with my poorly back)&
Old 19th May 2008, 15:08   #7
GERFIX

MINI COOPER S

Quote:
Originally Posted by brum29 View Post
Hi to all, done the deed fitted Roverron's Synergy 2 this morning plus the pierburg MAF. I must admit through the help given on this site by all you great guys it was as easy as you all said it was, so thank you very much for that everyone.

In saying that it took me about 45 minutes to strip the bits and pieces off, remove the old MAF put the new one in and connect Ron's Synergy 2. It then has taken me three hours to try and get the air filter cover back on and to no avail, I've pulled and pushed and even talked to it nicely at one stage then I threatened it but I still can't get all the 5 little bolts back in. One at the back is impossible to get in and the one at the front to the left of the oil filler jumped out and is in the pan thingy at the bottom, the other two at the front ones in and the other is slightly in but is a bit cross threaded. When tightening the one at the back the long reach allen key slipped and is now keeping the bolt that jumped out company in the pan at the bottom. My backs hurting so much now that I have had to call it quites for today and will probably have to take it to a garage to get the air filter cover put on properly.

Started it up and every thing works fine, to me anyway, have got it set on 5 at the moment took it for a bit of a run and it accelerats like crazy, to how it has been running for the last couple of years, so right pleased. Big cheer for RoverRon, looks a good bit of kit, just a pity about the air filter cover.

Cheers KB (going to feel sorry for myself with my poorly back)&
Sorry to hear about your back. I can sympathise with you there though, as any prolonged engine bay work I do leaves me with a fair bit of back pain.
Glad to hear you got through the fitting process. That air filter cover is a bit of a pig to re-fit if you don't get it just right.
Enjoy your new-found power!

GERFIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 15:19   #8
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by brum29 View Post
Hi to all, got my stuff from Roverron today, Pierburgh MAF and Synergy 2, hoping to fit tomorrow if rain holds off. Not that you will recall but I'm the guy who knows nothing about messing about under the bonnet. As I have already been through the traumatic experience of stripping the engine down to unplug the wire bits out of the Bosh MAF I know what to do to get that far. So, having read every thread and post on here about this thingy and read the instructions sent by Ron a dozen times just a couple of bit I can't get my head around before I start. First, does it matter which why round the new MAF is inserted ( and don't mean plug side up) or can it go in only one way? Second, I've got a good idea that the pluggy things at the end of the cable of the Synergy 2 go to the top of MAF and the other bit to existing plug of the cable that I have already disconnected, but where do the two three pronged plugs in the middle of the Synergy cable go? Third, the long thin bit of wire, which I think is some sort of temparature sensor, does it just go anywhere in particular in the engine compartment and does it have to be strapped down. Fourth and last, if I want to just run on 5 or 6, as Ron has suggested, what position are the two switches, power and maf, set to for normal running.

Any help gladly and greatfully accepted but in the simplest speak possible please. Plus any other points that I need to know that I might have missed. Cheers KB
I'm glad you got it fitted and working.
Had I not been in the process of moving home, I'd have been here sooner, so apologies for that and thanks to Podge et al for helping you out.

However, almost back to normal now and with fast broadband at last. (on;y 8meg but local exchange has few lines so very low contention ratio)

Ron