Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th May 2008, 22:43   #1
timbotambo
Avid contributor

ZT

Question How easy is it to fit a Synergy 2 and PB MAF for a novice?

Finally got the above on order for my CDTi ZT. However, some people seem to have struggled to fit the 2 systems, especially those that fall into the "non mechanical" catagory such as me. (yes we do exist, we are normally the lepers in the corners with no friends and a BIG cordon around us)

Anyhow, have any novices attempted the installation? Also, any common errors I should look out for? Apart from having to trawl the autoshops for the star screwdriver set which I'll only ever use once!

Bit wary so thanks for any advice!! Simple advice, pretend you are talking to an alien, or a cabbage :lol:
timbotambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2008, 23:14   #2
Simon
Banned

-

Loads of our members have fitted Ron's box of tricks. One of the diesel owning crowd will be along soon enough to assist Moved to tech forum for better coverage.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 07:00   #3
GERFIX
I really should get out more.......

MINI COOPER S

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbotambo View Post
Finally got the above on order for my CDTi ZT. However, some people seem to have struggled to fit the 2 systems, especially those that fall into the "non mechanical" catagory such as me. (yes we do exist, we are normally the lepers in the corners with no friends and a BIG cordon around us)

Anyhow, have any novices attempted the installation? Also, any common errors I should look out for? Apart from having to trawl the autoshops for the star screwdriver set which I'll only ever use once!

Bit wary so thanks for any advice!! Simple advice, pretend you are talking to an alien, or a cabbage :lol:
It really is a breeze Tim, even for the uninitiated! Just follow Ron's instructions to the letter and you can't go wrong. His photographed procedure should keep you on the right tracks with regards to fitting the connectors correctly.
The security screws on the MAF can be overcome by hacksawing a slot across them carefully and undoing them with a flat bladed screwdriver. I (and others) simply fitted the new MAF using similar sized cross-head screws.
Once you've got the settings to your liking simply sit back and enjoy!

GERFIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 08:23   #4
timbotambo
Avid contributor

ZT

Ta ta! Still fear I'll mess it up though

Advice on creating new slots on the MAF security screws seems sound though
Old 15th May 2008, 08:28   #5
GERFIX

MINI COOPER S

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbotambo View Post
Advice on creating new slots on the MAF security screws seems sound though
That's the hardest part.

Old 15th May 2008, 08:59   #6
brum29
Passed Away

Rover 75 Tourer 2L CDT Club SE 2002

Hi Tim, like you I am a complete novice and newbie to all this mechanical stuff and have been asking the same questions for the last couple of weeks, many people have given great help ( see my thead "ECU-help" in the technical section, you may have to go back a couple of page to find it. It will eventually lead into the MAF/Synergy 2) but there are some who trying to be very helpful and still talk in tech/mech terms which go right over my head. I already have my MAF and Synergy 2 and about to fit it between today and the weekend. I have read Rons instuctions and I found them OK but for a complete novice some things still are not clear, I have asked the question yesterday. Don't like to keep on asking all the while as you can understand people get fed up, or you get the feeling they get fed up because you feel such a plank for having to ask all the time. But if I get through this OK, which no doubt I will, I will be able to tell in our terms of understanding.

I have acquired the five point screwdriver socket which fit on to a 1/4" drive, which you can use once I've finished with it and Ron includes a long allen key for getting out the 2 awkward screws down the back of the air filter cover. Will keep you posted in novice type progress notes.
Cheers for now KB
brum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 10:21   #7
Phil_B
Regular poster

MGZT 135+

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERFIX View Post
The security screws on the MAF can be overcome by hacksawing a slot across them carefully and undoing them with a flat bladed screwdriver. I (and others) simply fitted the new MAF using similar sized cross-head screws.
Why bother though, you can get the correct socket bit from Halfrauds for £9.99 (along with another 7 of various sizes) saves the risk of messing up with a hacksaw.

But regarding fitting, it really is very very simple. I have never had a diesel before this one as was wary of doing stuff to it. I've done plenty of tweaking on Petrols before though.

I honestly think you will be fine with Rons intructions.

Good luck
Phil_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 10:36   #8
brum29
Passed Away

Rover 75 Tourer 2L CDT Club SE 2002

Hi there, tried Halfords big super store on Tuesday, about as much use as a chocolate tea pot, hadn't got any and no-body had heard of them. Got them from Toms Tool Chest for £9.00 delivered ordered Tuesday arrived Wednesday first thing, phone 01946 830716/ 07831488118 speak to Tom. Cheers KB
brum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 10:52   #9
GERFIX

MINI COOPER S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_B View Post
Why bother though, you can get the correct socket bit from Halfrauds for £9.99 (along with another 7 of various sizes) saves the risk of messing up with a hacksaw.
When you've spent ££££££££££ on upgrades it's sometimes a PITA to have to spend more ££££££££££££ on tools, especially ones you are never likely to need again if you're not mechanically minded. I know this after having to spend over a hundred quid on tools to replace an injection pump on my previous car, a BMW 525TDS.
The junior hacksaw isn't a difficult tool to use. Granted, the MAF's not in the easiest place to work on but if you take it nice and easy it works. I certainly didn't have any problems. If the hacksaw does slip due to cack-handedness, so what, you're replacing the MAF and the screws anyway?

Old 15th May 2008, 11:03   #10
timbotambo
Avid contributor

ZT

Cheers for the advice and the vote of confidence(s). At least there is a good knowledge base if I get really stuck. How long do you think it would take, including fiting, fitting, testing all the parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brum29 View Post
Don't like to keep on asking all the while as you can understand people get fed up, or you get the feeling they get fed up because you feel such a plank for having to ask all the time. But if I get through this OK, which no doubt I will, I will be able to tell in our terms of understanding.

I have acquired the five point screwdriver socket which fit on to a 1/4" drive, which you can use once I've finished with it and Ron includes a long allen key for getting out the 2 awkward screws down the back of the air filter cover. Will keep you posted in novice type progress notes.
Cheers for now KB
LOL yeah I know what you mean! Please do keep us posted, there any many planks like us with little knowledge that stay silent as it is so far removed from our comfort zones! Power to the planks!