Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th May 2008, 20:37   #1
jonah

rover 75 2.5 v6

Default what a week for my 75 2.5

What a week for my 2000 75 2.5 v6, ive had this car for 3 years and loved it, i had a few problems at the start with hgf and to be honest after that never really had to spend a penny on her till this week......it started off last monday went out got in car and drove off got to where i wanted to be and car wouldnt start for love or money, phone my local garage where they came to rescue me, after a few cheks they phoned to advise camshaft sensor had packed up.....now the good news we have got one but cant get the link lead i then decided to call around 20 parts people across the country and discovered they where right,,,then got a second hand one off the bay for £20 and it worked brilliantly so panic over.

NOT-----came out of the garage driving up the road and sat in traffic for 15 mins, could smell engine hotness, i casualy gazed down and to my horror temp gauge all the way up and red light on, ooh the *** cheeks gripped hard and my expression was like i just missed an open goal at the world cup final.....
turned engine off and allowed for it to cool down and then back to the garage i went, after several hours of trying to find fault found out the engine ecu was earthing the fan out,,,, anyhow garage has now put a switch on my steering column to turn fan on/off direct to the relay but what a job it was , hours of stripdown to get to fan etc.
Drive out of garage and hit a post that i didnt see and put a nice debt in my front bumper
what a week

here is a pic of the car to get the wiring in to run the fan

Last edited by GreyGhost; 18th May 2008 at 09:49.. Reason: shrunk image
jonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 20:48   #2
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts

Thats a load of bad luck Paul hope that its all sorted now
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 22:21   #3
Simon
Banned

-

I would really have thought that a fix to the problem would be better than the 'switch on the dash' solution. There are numerous threads about fans failing and what to look out for to determine what sort of failure has happened. Have a good read around the forums. Personally my first thoughts could be one of the relays in the control box to the fan has gone.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 22:32   #4
SMC Trading
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Sounds to me like speed 1 and possibly 2 have packed up on the fan and they have wired a switch direct to speed 3, stops it overheating but not really cured the problem.

I remember you calling about a week ago about the link lead, you were going to get the garage to call me?

By the way welcome to the club Jonah
SMC Trading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2008, 09:27   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I would really have thought that a fix to the problem would be better than the 'switch on the dash' solution. There are numerous threads about fans failing and what to look out for... Have a good read around the forums.
Paul,

That's good advice from Simon (the moderator). There's a lot of expertise in the club on misbehaving engine cooling fans. Fitting a switch to manually control the fan is a b***e and suggests that your garage are perhaps not the best people to entrust with your 'pride and joy'.

Another Simon.
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2008, 09:48   #6
Christopher
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 V6 Copperleaf Red, MG ZTT 190+ Lagoon & Early MGF

With respect but the state of that garage does not inspire confidence ... and running a wire to a relay from a switch on the dash???? Get it sorted properly asap - your car deserves it!!!

in banana veritas
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2008, 22:19   #7
Boz75
Regular poster

Rover 75 2.5 KV6

I would't use that garage again just because of where the mechanic has placed his tea!
Boz75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2008, 22:52   #8
jonah

rover 75 2.5 v6

I know but it was really head scratching i just wanted a quick fix to get me on the road again as i work really strange hours and public transport is a no no round by me.. But to be honest im about ready to change the car for a diesel one i think. I cant grummble its been a great motor and served me well for 3 years and has really cost me next to nothing, well a lot less than the scenic i had before it.
so i'll be on the hunt for a top spec diesel very soon
Old 18th May 2008, 22:53   #9
jonah

rover 75 2.5 v6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC Trading View Post
Sounds to me like speed 1 and possibly 2 have packed up on the fan and they have wired a switch direct to speed 3, stops it overheating but not really cured the problem.

I remember you calling about a week ago about the link lead, you were going to get the garage to call me?

By the way welcome to the club Jonah
hi yes i remember but i purchased the sensor from you on the bay captain