Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th April 2011, 06:01   #31
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHurley View Post
Well,

Checked Coolant level this morning and it was normal, although rusty looking and not Pink, before starting up engine.

As requested by Garage (not far from Work location), dropped it back to them this morning which involved a 20 mile drive from home - they kindly dropped me to work.

Journey to the Garage: New Kaiser Thermostat and Housing now being in place (with Test 19 subtest 7 on dash), the Temp generally was in the region of 76-86c, but took about 10 miles to get over 75c, then the needle pointed to the 9 o'clock position.

Obviously the Kaiser thermostat ensures lower temperatures and overheating is far more unlikely.

Parked up the Car at the Garage, and observed small amount of Coolant on the Floor.

Question: Does the ECU tell the car to inject more fuel if the temp is below the old 92c general operating temp or does it not matter once the needle is pointing at 9 o'clock.

Look forward to the call from garage explaining coolant loss as the initially released it back to me yesterday eveing, saying all was now OK!

M
hi mike .if the coolant is looking rusty i would say there is ablockage in the system somewhere and it cant circulate thus causing pressure and throwing it out the cap .your garage needs to flush the system by removing top and bottom hose from the rad and flushing from the top hose to clear out any muck in the engine ,then flushing the rad ...flushing both to water is running clear ...
Old 20th April 2011, 20:07   #32
MikeHurley
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6

Wink

Hi Chris, trust you are well. Thanks for the advice about the flushing, have not heard back from them as yet. Will call in the morning and ask if they have undertaken a good flushing as you suggest.
Will have chat soon mate.
M
Rear o/s wheel bearing set changed.....Aug 2014
Cam & Aux Belts...May 2014
Tazu Inner tie rod ends...May 2014
Need Timing Belts changed...done April 2014
Front Shocks and Strut Bearings ....done Mar 2014
Polybushes to Wishbone Arms.....done Mar 2014
Handbrake compensator changed...done Oct 2013
Exhaust Back Box a.......done 16/8/13
Quality Front Drop Links...done 16/8/13
Rear Springs ..done 16/8/13
MikeHurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 09:54   #33
MikeHurley
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6

Just called the Garage to see if these is any News and Receptionist Feedback was .........they think it may be HGF related but not sure, and want to test further!!!
I cant believe this especially given the AA performed tests and stated there is absolutely no evidence of exhaust Gases in the sytems therefore not HGF.
Old 26th April 2011, 12:11   #34
MikeHurley
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6

Well Collected the Car last Thrusday and left it at work after 10 miles drive, seems excess coolant decided to come out of the cap.

HOWEVER: Bank Holiday out of the way, Viton Rings arrived in post but not fitted yet,maybe this evening. Reading the material with the Viton Rings it suggests all our Expansion Caps have a 140 rating, (but not to worry if its 100). Mine's a 100, should it have been a 140.

Topped up expansion tank with about pint of water, let the engine idle with cap off and watched Temp increase from 45c to a respectable 82-83c. Then took for a short spin of about 2 miles including Roundabouts and Straights and temp ranged from 96c down to 79c, but seemed generally to be in the 87-88c region most of the time.

I think its going to take a bit of getting used to, including fitting Viton Rings and Jubilee Clip on main hose to Radiator (as the Rover Clip Seemed to be the source of a squirt last Week !).

Oh, as for HGF, mechanic said this was not the case but was rather pointing out that the Kaiser Thermo with its larger 5mm bypass hole may be the issue.!
Old 30th May 2011, 17:58   #35
MikeHurley
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6

UPDATE - 28th May

Had a bit of an overheating event on Saturday involving, AA call out, temp repair to radiator with external gum stuff and refill and bleed etc. AA confident after 1 mile test run and sensible temps in the 88-93c range. So set off and had another overheating and coolant via Tank Cap evacuaton ------ AA man sympathic before giving me tow home.

AA man did an HGF sniffer test and said no HGF.

UPDATE 30th May -today

However, having flushed out Radiator ( with its temp repair) & Cooling system and bled system, watched temp stay in the 88-93c region.

So decided to take it for a small run around the block (very close to home), and watched the temp increase in the 94-105c range. Pulled up outside house.

Hose Pipes were pressurised, (which was a slight mystery to AA man too on Saturday), and he had made a comment on there being more white exhaust than he would expect to see from the rear.

Now here's the really,really strange bit........whilst releasing pressure from expansion tank................There was the distinct smell of petrol/Fuel in the vapour from the expansion tank.

Could this mean the higher than normal pressurising of the coolant system is being caused by failed inlet manifold gaskets.???

This Car has until the 30th June to get well (Road Tax up) and needs all the cost effective work that I can lavish on it in the interim.
Old 31st May 2011, 07:04   #36
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
UPDATE - 28th May

Had a bit of an overheating event on Saturday involving, AA call out, temp repair to radiator with external gum stuff and refill and bleed etc. AA confident after 1 mile test run and sensible temps in the 88-93c range. So set off and had another overheating and coolant via Tank Cap evacuaton ------ AA man sympathic before giving me tow home.

AA man did an HGF sniffer test and said no HGF.

UPDATE 30th May -today

However, having flushed out Radiator ( with its temp repair) & Cooling system and bled system, watched temp stay in the 88-93c region.

So decided to take it for a small run around the block (very close to home), and watched the temp increase in the 94-105c range. Pulled up outside house.

Hose Pipes were pressurised, (which was a slight mystery to AA man too on Saturday), and he had made a comment on there being more white exhaust than he would expect to see from the rear.

Now here's the really,really strange bit........whilst releasing pressure from expansion tank................There was the distinct smell of petrol/Fuel in the vapour from the expansion tank.

Could this mean the higher than normal pressurising of the coolant system is being caused by failed inlet manifold gaskets.???

This Car has until the 30th June to get well (Road Tax up) and needs all the cost effective work that I can lavish on it in the interim.
hi mike ,sorry couldnt answer your text`s as was out when phone went flat .sorry to say but if it really is fuel fumes you can smell in the coolant it is a sure sign of hgf or a cracked block at the valve near where the combustion takes place allowing the fuel in to the coolant... i really hope im wrong would also explain the pressure in the hose`s, as you have bleed the system to release any air in the system but still have pressure in the hose`s
Old 31st May 2011, 10:46   #37
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
... having ... bled system, watched temp stay in the 88-93c region.
Did you remember to detach and raise the expansion tank during the bleeding procedure as MG Rover recommends?

Quote:
So decided to take it for a small run around the block ... and watched the temp increase in the 94-105c range.
Is your engine cooling fan working at the slow speed? I would expect it to trigger around 100 degrees thus preventing any further rise in temperature.

Simon.
Old 31st May 2011, 13:16   #38
MikeHurley
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6

Simon
Sure did raise it and removed all air from the system, and the slow speed is working a treat and did stopped the temp from going higher I think.

Plan to replace lower manifold gaskets next weekend. T minus 30 days for this lovely car.
Old 31st May 2011, 13:42   #39
MikeHurley
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6

Chris - I do hope you are wrong, but I am prepared for the worst.

Thus the 30 days deadline for the beast.

Mike
Old 31st May 2011, 18:05   #40
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

The inlet manifold would be working under a partial vacuum with the cooling system under pressure. It would, I think, be difficult for the fuel to bleed through into the cooling system ??????????????????? ( Upsteam, so to speak !! )

Colvert.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote