Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd December 2013, 08:12   #11
cmdrew
Regular poster

None of my own but now looking after 2

Same thing happened to my Son - the recovery yard was further away from where they recovered his moped from. However... the Police HAVE to give you the opportunity to recover the vehicle before they recover it and if they have not been in contact with you to tell you that they will be recovering it you are not legally obliged to pay the fee. They rely on the fact that the insurance company will pay the tab but in my Son's case he was 3rd party only. We wrote to the Police and we were refunded the cost. There is no reason why a victim of a crime should be further punished by the Police as well just because they assume that your insurance will cover the fee.
cmdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 08:42   #12
Sidetops
I really should get out more.......

Land Rover Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrew View Post
Same thing happened to my Son - the recovery yard was further away from where they recovered his moped from. However... the Police HAVE to give you the opportunity to recover the vehicle before they recover it and if they have not been in contact with you to tell you that they will be recovering it you are not legally obliged to pay the fee. They rely on the fact that the insurance company will pay the tab but in my Son's case he was 3rd party only. We wrote to the Police and we were refunded the cost. There is no reason why a victim of a crime should be further punished by the Police as well just because they assume that your insurance will cover the fee.
Good answer!
Sidetops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 10:27   #13
thundercat
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club SE

Brilliant answer, another string to the bow to get the £150 back. As he has a £200 excess on his insurance he could not claim this back anyway.
thundercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 15:13   #14
archermav
Avid contributor

Range Rover TDV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrew View Post
Hence if you report a stolen vehicle now, you are told on the phone that if found it will be recovered and charges maybe incurred.
archermav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 19:13   #15
lew893
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTI

Where I am we ask you when reporting it stolen if you would like to take part the the VRS (Vehicle Recovery Scheme) if you say no and I find it I normally ring the loser and ask them again and point out to them (if they are not local and cant get there in an hour) that I am leaving it and if it get stolen again in the mean time to call the police again butpolicy probably changes form force to force. We used to just stick them in the back of the van and take them to the yard at the police station but the yard ended up full of motorbikes that people never bothered to collect so we are not allowed now. My mate said no to the vehicle recovery scheme when his Golf GTI Mk1 cabriolet got nicked the police found it informed him and by the time he got to where it was it was gone again and it was never seen again! Personally I'd rather pay £100 to £150 and know I'm going to get my bike back!
Old 3rd December 2013, 19:21   #16
geegee
Avid contributor

rover 75

love it, boy did that make me laugh
merry xmas!!!!
geegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 19:36   #17
Steve42

mg 190+

for what its worth.

I had a attempt on a car about 3 years ago.
but the daft people that tried to nick the old nova didn't know that the cam belt was bust.
so it was pushed into the middle of the road and set on fire.
fire and police turned up to it and did what was needed.
when I came back from my night shift seen that the car was not where I had left it.
it was in fact in a layby near to my house.
when I drove past it thought that's nice of someone they have put tinted my windows for me.
went up to the car that was still locked and all the windows intact opened the car with a key to find that some one had tried and failed to burn it out.
relocked it went to bed thinking I will sort it out when I get up.
got up a bit later to find a note had been pushed through the door by the police. was not happy why he did not use the letter box instead of pushing it though the door.
note said that due to the unsafe state of the car the police had it towed away.
phoned the garage who told me 100 pound to get it back.
phoned the police and pointed out a few things. it was not unsafe but for the windows been black, the windows was not broke, all wheels was fine and car could still be locked. also I had asked the aa to recover the car and I had not been given a chance to recover the car. if I had been given the chance it would have been by the aa .
got the car back the next day with a sorry letter from the police.
Steve42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 20:43   #18
Plezier

Mercedes C Class CDI estate (2003)

Years back my Mk1V Cortina estate was nicked and reported as such. The insurance co offered a derisory amount which I refused. This argument went of for about 4 months then a letter dropped through my letter box from the Met police asking why my car had not been removed for the car park it was in behind some flats at Tolworth.

So I got onto Surrey Police who then remembered to tell me where I could recovery my car from. It had been there over three months and Met informed Surrey whom did nowt about it.

Got onto the insurance and told them it had been found and had them fix it. The car had to be recovered by truck as they had nicked the battery and ripped off the fuel line to drain the tank and of course smashed the steering column shroud and ignition lock.

Made a complaint to the Surrey Police who brushed it aside... normal operation for them even back then.