Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th May 2020, 06:43   #1
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts
Default I Just Ponder These Things.

Shouldn't foot pumps be obsolete? I don't have one, don't need one. I ponder because I see a neighbour pump up his tyre every day. He could get the puncture fixed/new tyre whatever. Plug in cigar lighter ones are available now, don't have one of those either. They may be good if you have a wheelbarrow or a childs scooter (with fat tyres, or are those obsolete too?) Who's got a pump and whaddaya use it for? Erm, clean practical answers only please.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2020, 06:50   #2
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
Shouldn't foot pumps be obsolete? I don't have one, don't need one. I ponder because I see a neighbour pump up his tyre every day. He could get the puncture fixed/new tyre whatever. Plug in cigar lighter ones are available now, don't have one of those either. They may be good if you have a wheelbarrow or a childs scooter (with fat tyres, or are those obsolete too?) Who's got a pump and whaddaya use it for? Erm, clean practical answers only please.

WELL! I use one too pump up my inflatable doll.

Rev.
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2020, 07:38   #3
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post
WELL! I use one too pump up my inflatable doll.

Rev.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2020, 07:40   #4
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

I do have a foot pump, I know I do, but can I find it? and there have been several times whilst I have been working on the car when I could have used it. Saves putting the power on, though I do carry a plug-in type in the car.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2020, 07:55   #5
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

I have 2 plug in ones. One for each car. They're quite old. I don't think they will last much longer. It was the 90's when I got them off this Texaco promotion. You collected stick on stars every time you got fuel. Different amounts of stars got you different grade gifts. I'm so old....
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2020, 08:40   #6
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

The small ones that plug in to your cigar lighter are only effective if you want to put in about 2 pounds of air, and then usually need a few wriggles to keep them going - why can't they get a better connection?

I treated myself to an Air Hawk Pro (advertised in every weekend newspaper) at the beginning of lockdown with the money I saved on fuel. and it is much more efficient, having a re-chargeable battery. Worth the money if you have a number of cars, but not for those with just one one or two. Came with loads of different attachments for beds, balls and everything else that you will never use! Just like almost everything else you buy these days!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2020, 08:42   #7
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Thats not "OLD" Dawn, some of us can remember back in the 70's all the free drinking glasses that you got with fuel - I ended up with cupboards full of them.

When I cleared my mothers house out last year I found she still had some in a cupboard!
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2020, 08:46   #8
drjonts
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 160

I have one in each car. One is a plug in compressor with a digital gauge and pressure setting to shut off the pump when that is reached. Has a torch as well built in.

The other came with my Suaoki jump starter pack - runs off the jump pack with a simple dial pressure gauge. Not used very much but sits neatly in the case with the rest of the pack...like this:

I only really use them if I need to check the tyres and the fuel station is closed or to top up my spare winter tyres if/when I put them on.

I will say they are handy if you have a car that is mothballed / stored and when you need to move it the tyres need some air...but they take a fair while to move the volume of air needed for a flat!
drjonts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2020, 08:46   #9
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

I have original plug in pump which came with the Rover 75 it also used to have one of those canasters which you could put into a tyre which was punctured to get you home, it used to fill the tyre with some sort of white fluid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC17041.jpg (134.4 KB, 34 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2020, 09:55   #10
Gren 24
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur SE CDTI

Yes I still have a foot pump and use it mostly to pump up the tyers on my wife wheelchair and yes I have used it to pump the tyers up on my Tourer just as quick as getting the plug in compressor out by the time I found it and set it up.