Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Factory Fit Highline & Lowline Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd January 2011, 15:27   #1
Richy
Loves to post

Contempory V6 2.5 Tourer

Default Draining battery, sat nav issue

As i suspected with my new car the sat nav is not shutting down, i have now got a flat battery. I have read a few posts about this and i am currently messing around in the back of the car trying to see what to disconnect. Near the spare wheel there are two units, one on offside and one on nearside, there is also the nav system fixed on the offside rear inner panel of the car. Can someone please tell me which needs to be disconnected to stop the battery drain.
Many thanks
Paul
Richy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2011, 15:38   #2
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

It's the black unit by the off side rear wing.

Follow the procedure below, and if the light is still on after 2 minutes, then I'm afraid it's stuffed.
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2011, 16:17   #3
Richy
Loves to post

Contempory V6 2.5 Tourer

Thanks Greeners, thought it would be but wanted to confirm. In the meantime i did the battery disconnect and the sat nav seems to be shutting down fine now, shuts down after approx 1 min. Well i say shuts down...the red light goes out but if you look into the space where the disc slides in there is another light flashing very quickly, any ideas as to what this could be?
Thanks again
Paul
Old 23rd January 2011, 18:45   #4
denis
Gets stuck in

2004 MG-ZT CDTi 135 Saloon in TROPHY YELLOW + Synergy Two-wow and an Aussy import RAV 4 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy View Post
Thanks Greeners, thought it would be but wanted to confirm. In the meantime i did the battery disconnect and the sat nav seems to be shutting down fine now, shuts down after approx 1 min. Well i say shuts down...the red light goes out but if you look into the space where the disc slides in there is another light flashing very quickly, any ideas as to what this could be?
Thanks again
Paul
Could be to do with the reading of the disc. A comparison check with somebody would be a start to see if everybody has an internal flashing light inside the unit. Otherwise you may be back to square one!!! Possibly a funny question - are you seeing this internal light with or without a disc inserted??? I can do a comp/check for you tomorrow.
denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2011, 19:58   #5
Richy
Loves to post

Contempory V6 2.5 Tourer

It is without any disc inserted, it keeps spitting the disc out.
Many thanks Denis

Paul
Old 24th January 2011, 15:27   #6
denis
Gets stuck in

2004 MG-ZT CDTi 135 Saloon in TROPHY YELLOW + Synergy Two-wow and an Aussy import RAV 4 2.4L

Quote:
It is without any disc inserted, it keeps spitting the disc out.
Many thanks Denis

Paul
If you are sure the disc is OK then I would say that you have answered your own question. Sounds like the unit is on the blink (xcuse the pun!!)
denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 16:39   #7
Jezzer 1
I really should get out more.......

75 V8 Connoisseur SE Saloon: 75 V8 Contemporary SE Saloon and others!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis View Post
If you are sure the disc is OK then I would say that you have answered your own question. Sounds like the unit is on the blink (xcuse the pun!!)
I've just put this on a similar post, but it's probably worth repeating here too:

Thanks to Nick at Austin Garages, , I would offer the following suggestion:

1. Remove the satnav disc drive from its housing and look around the casing for evidence of water marks on the outside.

2. If you see any signs that water has run over the casing, it will almost certainly have got inside the unit. Open the casing by prising the metal top cover off. This will break the 'Warranty Void if seal is damaged' label, but there's no warranty left now anyway.

3. Check the visible surface of the PCB. Almost certainly, if water has got in, there will be corrosion bridging the PCB tracks. This will in turn probably cause the unit to stay powered up because the corrosion will track from the live part of the pcb to bits that should not be live. If you use a solvent switch cleaner fluid and a gentle scrubbing action with a toothbrush, you may be able to remove the corrosion (salt deposits, sulphates etc) from any affected tracks, and restore function. After cleaning, allow the solvent to evaporate completely, replace the cover and see if the unit powers down correctly.

In my case, the cd unit stopped completely because the corrosion had eaten the power bus track away completely. Nick soldered on a piece of wire between the two damaged ends of the track and lo, the things booted up correctly again.

In my opinion, it would also be worth while cutting a sheet of polythene sheet to cover the pcb, and tape it in place before replacing the metal cover on the unit. This would minimise any more moisture ingress affecting the pcb again.
Old 24th January 2011, 23:07   #8
Richy
Loves to post

Contempory V6 2.5 Tourer

Thanks guys for the help, I think this will be a good excuse to get myself one of these new d/din units that are all the rage atm.

Paul
Old 25th January 2011, 01:14   #9
Jake
Banned

2004 75 Contemporary SE Tourer, 2005 (55) Pearl Black Conn. SE Tourer.

Quote:
Thanks guys for the help, I think this will be a good excuse to get myself one of these new d/din units that are all the rage atm.

Paul
Or a nice 16:9 system from an e36 3 series
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 15:20   #10
SH4RKY
Regular poster

ZT260

Thanks for the info Jezza. Info helped me repair my MK3 satnav: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...745#post854745
SH4RKY is offline   Reply With Quote