Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th January 2009, 12:43   #1
efreeti
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDT 130+ (04) & 75 Tourer CDT Auto (52) & a 1998 MGF (with HGF!)

Default May be looking for a new engine

After replacing some broken tappets on the CDT and generally having a good old check of everything at the top end we have not managed to solve the problem.

The knocking noise has not changed and we are getting quite a bit of grey\blue smoke again.

As mentioned before the sump and oil filters are very clean with no signs of shavings.

I will probably do some investigation around the sump and maybe try and get a pressure check just to make sure it isn't insufficient pressure to get the tappets pumped up but to be honest I am starting to fear the worst.

I had a chat with a friend of my dad's who had an identical problem with a BMW 320d a few years ago. He said the noise was exactly the same and it went into BMW 3 times for repair. They first replaced tappets (as that is what it sounds like) then they replaced the HP pump, then they replaced the chain itself. Eventually the owners just cut his losses and sold it at auction as BMW were unable to get anywhere with it after £1500 worth of work.

The fact that 3 of the tappets were definitely not pumping up suggests that there has been a starvation\blockage of some severity and obviously it has caused more damage somewhere further down.

My intention now is to drive it to a couple of Rover\MG mechanics on Saturday to get a couple more opinions on the matter. But there are also a couple of low mileage engines on ebay at the moment with reasonably low starting prices. One of them is just over in Bradford so if the price is right I am tempted to just whack a new engine in it rather than taking this one out and stripping it down further.

If anybody else has any opinions or ideas they would be appreciated. If anybody local with a bit of diesel experience fancies popping over to have a look themselves I am more than happy to supply tea and biscuits. :lol:

Replace in tank fuel pump with Peugeot alternative
Dismantle and re-fit interior and seats
Retrofit electric memory seats without the loom
All followed at your own risk!

Available to borrow: I have a home made (tried and tested) Cam Locking tool for M47 should anyone need it.
efreeti is offline   Reply With Quote