Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th January 2021, 01:24   #1
Rover600

Rover 600

Default Strange electrical issue

It’s a long shot, but I’m hoping somebody might have come across something like this before I have to dust of my DMM and dig deep into RAVE. It’s a very odd one.

The 75 tourer has been fitted with the mk4 dvd/satnav headunit by the previous owner.

All has been working well until one day it stopped picking up FM radio – didn’t think much about it at the time but shortly afterwards the battery was flat when I went out to start it.

Charged up the battery and all was well for a week or so and then again overnight battery went stone dead. Charged it again and noticed the on/off knob on the stereo only sometimes worked.

On the last trip, I started it up and noticed the splash screen on the stereo kept flashing on and off.
While driving it emitted a sharp intermittent crackle from the speakers and stereo wouldn’t turn off, then about halfway through the trip a number of things happened:

• Indicators and hazards stopped working.
  • When engaging reverse the parking sensors no longer beeped
  • Climate control stopped working and displayed an E0 on the screen (I assume this is error).
  • Central locking no longer worked

After making it home and unloading the boot via the back seats, I started it up again to move it and suddenly everything started working again.

My first thoughts are the stereo is the obvious contender for further investigation and I could imagine if this has a fault and has been staying on it could flatten the battery – however, failure of all of the other systems is more worrying.
Initially I assumed a fuse may have gone, but the fact everything came back now makes me think perhaps something like a dodgy earth or possibly even something bizarre like an alternator fault.

The last time I encountered such a weird fault was due to a shorted tailgate wiring loom on a 25.

This is our first 75, and although I have had quite a bit of experience with Rovers in the past, I’d be grateful if anybody has got any thoughts or come across anything similar before.
Rover600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2021, 01:34   #2
Rover600

Rover 600

I should also add, the only thing I can see that links all of these together is the BCU, but I'm not sure how this would be affected by the stereo.

Are these known to go bad?
Rover600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2021, 07:20   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover600 View Post
... the only thing I can see that links all of these together is the BCU, but I'm not sure how this would be affected by the stereo.
A K-bus connection probably John.

Simon