Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th August 2019, 10:29   #1
Arthur Stimpson
STIMO
 
Rover 75 Tourer

Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: SKIRLAUGH,HULL
Posts: 37
Thanks: 18
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Oil gauge reset

Hi, need some advice on the oil change. How do i reset the trip metre.I change the oil and filter every year,the trip miles keeps building up.
thanks Arthur
Arthur Stimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2019, 10:42   #2
roverbarmy
This is my second home
 
roverbarmy's Avatar
 
1999 Cowley V6 Auto Zircon Silver

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: East Norfolk
Posts: 4,227
Thanks: 316
Thanked 1,094 Times in 842 Posts
Default

Something like this:-
Reset tool


Fits into the OBD socket under the right hand side of the dash near the door pillar.
__________________
Oil in my veins!
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roverbarmy For This Useful Post:
Old 18th August 2019, 15:56   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home
 
Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sumweer onat mote o'dust (Sagin)
Posts: 20,380
Thanks: 239
Thanked 2,970 Times in 2,432 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stimpson View Post
Hi, need some advice on the oil change. How do i reset the trip metre.
I think you mean the service reminder display that shows either 'Oil Service' or 'Inspection' every time you turn the ignition on. This tells you how many driving miles to go before one or other service is due. This is normally every 15,000 miles. If you much drive less than 15k miles a year, the servicing should be done annually. In that case, the service reminder screen doesn't serve any purpose, though you can still reset it if you want to, but you should service by the calendar.

You can easily do the reset yourself without the 'special' tools they sell nowadays and the instructions are in the Club members' Technical Data/HowTo files. This link goes to the page with the reset info (third from bottom of RH column).

Click: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/ind...?thepage=howto

You must be signed in to see it.

Members did their resets like this for years before the Chinese latched onto it. The resetter gizmos are basically on-off switches that do the pin shorting as described in the HowTo. However, you get flashing lights with the button boxes.
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T-Cut For This Useful Post:
Old 18th August 2019, 20:22   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves
 
SD1too's Avatar
 
Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model. Rover 3500 Vanden Plas (1984).

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Middlesex
Posts: 15,946
Thanks: 839
Thanked 2,502 Times in 2,163 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Something like this:-
Reset tool
Arthur,

For the sake of £7.35, get the reset tool. You'll be doing this more than once and it really is ridiculous to be fiddling around on your hands and knees with a paperclip!

Simon
__________________
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble."
Sir Henry Royce.
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD1too For This Useful Post:
Old 18th August 2019, 21:02   #5
Arctic
Give to Learn
 
Arctic's Avatar
 
Rover 75 Tourer

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West Midlands
Posts: 13,344
Thanks: 631
Thanked 3,581 Times in 2,199 Posts
Default

Rover could have put an easy to set oil change on the OBC like on the FL1 FL2 unless it is on there and we have not found it yet
__________________
Arctic
Givology Learn to Give
Everything is Achievable

ad altiora tendo.

Check out the 2019 meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/meets_2014.html
" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arctic For This Useful Post:
Old 19th August 2019, 09:50   #6
Arthur Stimpson
STIMO
 
Rover 75 Tourer

Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: SKIRLAUGH,HULL
Posts: 37
Thanks: 18
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
I think you mean the service reminder display that shows either 'Oil Service' or 'Inspection' every time you turn the ignition on. This tells you how many driving miles to go before one or other service is due. This is normally every 15,000 miles. If you much drive less than 15k miles a year, the servicing should be done annually. In that case, the service reminder screen doesn't serve any purpose, though you can still reset it if you want to, but you should service by the calendar.

You can easily do the reset yourself without the 'special' tools they sell nowadays and the instructions are in the Club members' Technical Data/HowTo files. This link goes to the page with the reset info (third from bottom of RH column).

Click: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/ind...?thepage=howto

You must be signed in to see it.

Members did their resets like this for years before the Chinese latched onto it. The resetter gizmos are basically on-off switches that do the pin shorting as described in the HowTo. However, you get flashing lights with the button boxes.

Hi all and thanks for the info. I only do low millage every year 4-8 thou. I renew every year oil and filter.
thanks again Arthur
Arthur Stimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2019, 19:39   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home
 
Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sumweer onat mote o'dust (Sagin)
Posts: 20,380
Thanks: 239
Thanked 2,970 Times in 2,432 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stimpson View Post
I only do low mileage every year 4-8 thou. I renew every year oil and filter.
That's the right thing to do.
Don't bother spending money on a gizmo that doesn't provide you with anything useful. Ignore the service reminder screen and everything's fine. I suspect very few 75/ZT owners do the resets these days.

Be sure to use the specified oil type. See below.


The vital thing about your chosen brand of oil is that it complies with the ACEA specs A3 and B3 (or higher). It will be a semi-synthetic or higher.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2019, 09:18   #8
Arthur Stimpson
STIMO
 
Rover 75 Tourer

Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: SKIRLAUGH,HULL
Posts: 37
Thanks: 18
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi thanks for the info.I have just bought some 10w-40 COMMA X FLOW SEMI SYNTHETIC TYPE XS with ACEA A3-B3 of API-SL-CF. It was stated that it can be used for all ROVER DIESEL MODELS,WHATS YOUR THOUGHTS?.
thanks again Arthur
Arthur Stimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2019, 12:47   #9
timon
Regular poster
 
Rover 75 Saloon

Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 77
Thanks: 16
Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stimpson View Post
Hi thanks for the info.I have just bought some 10w-40 COMMA X FLOW SEMI SYNTHETIC TYPE XS with ACEA A3-B3 of API-SL-CF. It was stated that it can be used for all ROVER DIESEL MODELS,WHATS YOUR THOUGHTS?.
thanks again Arthur

It's fine as it meets the requirements, but I wouldn't run it more than 8000 miles on a turbo diesel. Would only do that with a full synthetic.
timon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timon For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2019, The Rover 75 & MG ZT Owners Club Ltd