Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th September 2016, 18:29   #1
lesron
Avid contributor

rover 75 saloon and tourer

Default cdti still over heating

Hi changed the thermostat not a nice job but got their not sure i want to tackle water pump and belts gosh what a job,
Have checked the matrix no crud tradiator200ml of water and flushed through ,checkec becausewith the engine over heating and heater on max still didnt feel real hot.
Main radiator only gets hot on the drivers side , when i force water through from the top it comes out at the bottom , but would it stil do this if the radiator is partially blocked?
Also what sort of flow rate should i get if i remove the top hose with the water pump running , have tried this and was expecting it to gush out , but just a trickle so is if the pump thats not working?
Cheers in advance
lesron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 18:38   #2
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Has the car ever had the reno stat fitted in the top hose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesron View Post
Hi changed the thermostat not a nice job but got their not sure i want to tackle water pump and belts gosh what a job,
Have checked the matrix no crud tradiator200ml of water and flushed through ,checkec becausewith the engine over heating and heater on max still didnt feel real hot.
Main radiator only gets hot on the drivers side , when i force water through from the top it comes out at the bottom , but would it stil do this if the radiator is partially blocked?
Also what sort of flow rate should i get if i remove the top hose with the water pump running , have tried this and was expecting it to gush out , but just a trickle so is if the pump thats not working?
Cheers in advance
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 18:49   #3
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Main radiator only gets hot on the drivers side , when i force water through from the top it comes out at the bottom , but would it stil do this if the radiator is partially blocked?...
In these temperatures, my radiator only feels hot near the driver's side (inlet), at the outlet (bottom right) warmish (such that I can hold my hand there for some time).

If ambient temp was around 30+, then the radiator is uniformly hot. These radiators are over specced for the diesel.

My car runs fine, no overheating (or anywhere near). What is the condition like of the radiator - coolant staining, fins missing or crumbly?
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 20:16   #4
lesron
Avid contributor

No inline stat fitted
Old 30th September 2016, 20:20   #5
lesron
Avid contributor

Rad look ok , engine temp up to 100 degrees , but the air coming out the heater is just warm and the rad isvery hot at drivers side top the rest is stone cold
Old 30th September 2016, 22:24   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Sounds like a water pump issue to me...
Old 30th September 2016, 22:38   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Rad look ok , engine temp up to 100 degrees , but the air coming out the heater is just warm and the rad isvery hot at drivers side top the rest is stone cold
I would initially suspect an air lock Les based on your evidence. Did you fill and bleed the cooling system by following the MG Rover procedure?

Simon
Old 1st October 2016, 01:25   #8
lesron
Avid contributor

We thought that and removed one of the pipes and forced water in venting air at filler , have water flowing out the fuel burner vent in fact if you take it off its a jet so plenty of pressure.
Old 1st October 2016, 08:15   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
We thought that and removed one of the pipes and forced water in venting air at filler ...
Don't do that Les, it's not the approved method. If you start at the beginning and follow the venting/filling procedure which I have given you, it should solve your problems. I emphasise that you must follow all the stages exactly. No short cuts or "I can't be bothered to do that ..".

Simon
Old 1st October 2016, 08:37   #10
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Cheers in advance
You should get a reasonable flow, irrespective of whether the thermostat is open or closed.

Agree with Trikey, it does sound like a pump impeller fault. Only other thing I can think of is a blockage of some sort.

Try removing the top hose connection and the smaller pipe from the FBH (the one that goes to the cabin heat exchanger). Hold your finger over the FBH outlet connection and with a garden hose in the smaller pipe you should get a good flow coming out of the top hose.

Then connect the top hose pipe, finger off the FBH outlet, and same test should see a good flow from the FBH, proving that it isn't blocked.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 1st October 2016 at 09:09..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote