Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th June 2007, 11:51   #1
Matt brighton
Avid contributor

Alfa Romeo 159 !!

Default Nearly locked out (in france!)

Hello

Whilst on our recent holiday my wife took the Rover to do some local shopping with our friends wife - Taking my key and leaving hers in her handbag, she returned to the car with some purchases and nearly shut the boot with both sets of keys in there, and the rest of the car locked !!!!

I dread to think of the trouble and cost had she clunked the boot shut before checking.

I see a post elswhere about emergency boot / bonnet opening. If it's what I think it to be - am I allowed to be send a pm explaining how please ?

Thanks

Matt - brighton
Old 8th June 2007, 12:01   #2
MGOracle
Banned

MG ZT CDTi 135+

I'd just poke the rear quarter light window through and open the bonnet from inside.
MGOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 14:43   #3
Tom Collins
Posted a thing or two

Mondeo 2.0 cdti Ghia Auto

I remember years ago shutting the boot of my dads old W reg BMW 520, with the keys inside. The rest of the car was unlocked, but the rear seats didn't fold down to access the boot.
In the end we removed the rear seat back, drilled holes in the metalwork, and I retrieved the keys with the end of a fishing rod. :lol:
Fun and games.
Tom Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 20:55   #4
Dave Goody
This is my second home

15 years of 75s & ZTs now an XTrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGOracle View Post
I'd just poke the rear quarter light window through and open the bonnet from inside.
No you woud'nt, cos when its deadlocked you cant open bonnet or boot from inside. Take it from a man who knows, seen the film and got the T shirt!
Dave

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!
Dave Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 21:12   #5
David3807
Posted a thing or two

2002 R75 Conn SE 2.5l Auto Tourer, 2001 R75 Conn SE 2.5 Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Goody View Post
No you woud'nt, cos when its deadlocked you cant open bonnet or boot from inside. Take it from a man who knows, seen the film and got the T shirt!
Dave
And paid the bills for the new glass needed ???
David3807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 22:03   #6
MGOracle
Banned

MG ZT CDTi 135+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Goody View Post
Dave
Advice on how to access boot area via a broken window is something we would rather not advise on the open forum, even though most owners already know. We do not know who else may be reading.

Last edited by GreyGhost; 10th June 2007 at 21:14.. Reason: Boot access details removed
MGOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 20:16   #7
Dave Goody
This is my second home

OK if the boots empty? did it say on holiday in France? Try that if you have 5 suitcases in the way! Ps if you break the rear Quarterlight you may have a bigger bill than the drivers side window that I had to break to get in and climb into the boot to get the keys. Apparently the drivers side window always in stock as it's the one theives use to break in. Rear quarterlights a bit rare? Dave

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!

Last edited by GreyGhost; 10th June 2007 at 21:14.. Reason: Quote from previous post removed
Old 10th June 2007, 20:19   #8
Dave Goody
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3807 View Post
And paid the bills for the new glass needed ???
Yes, RRRRRRgh

Old 11th June 2007, 13:15   #9
Bartonrover
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT & V6 saloons in Wedgwood

I did lock myself out in France, miles from our hotel. It was summer 1999 and my 5 and 8 year old sons were extremely tired after an exhausting day at Disneyland and looking expectantly up at me in the massive car park when I realised they key was inside the boot which I'd just shut....Fortunately, the feeling of nausea changed to one of shuddering relief when I remembered the thin black plastic duplicate key which was once standard issue, in my wallet....(I still have it but is it possible to get keys recut in this plastic form?) Robert
Bartonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 15:33   #10
mykl
Loves to post

MG ZT 1.8T + 160.... Le-Mans Green

Okay sort of on thread......

.......a number of years ago I had just dropped my wife at the railway station (day trip out with a friend) and returned home. I could not street park as someone had parked outside my house. So left the car (MK3 Allegro) in the middle of the road, engine running, whilst I opened the gates to my driveway. Well my thoughtful 8 year old son hopped out of the car but not before pushing down all of the lock buttons.

I now have my car blocking the road (and there were cars waiting) engine still running, my keys of course in the ignition, second set on the way to Southampton with my wife in her handbag.

After collecting my thoughts I called RAC and then decided to advise the waiting motorists to back up or wait the 60 mins or so. Road rage was not invented then and most were sympathetic, some mildly critical with the odd comment about my intelligence or rather lack of it.

RAC man took all of two mins with the aid of banding tape.

A lesson learned so now I check and check and re-check before closing any door or compartment.

________

mykl

Last edited by mykl; 11th June 2007 at 15:38..
mykl is offline   Reply With Quote