Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th June 2007, 19:57   #1
myjess
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT

Default Oil

Porbably ben asked many times before but heck, I'm tired and do not want to search too much.

Anyway, I heard that fully synthetic is best but sucks/cleans out the inside of the engine taking all the old oil crud that is lying around, is this true?
If I were to use synthetic, would I be better changing the filter after a few thousand, or the filter and the expensive oil again?

On the "other" forum there was an advert for oil additive and I think I asked at the time if anyone used it. It is supposed to fill the gaps that wear produces. Has anyone used any stuff like that?
myjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 20:54   #2
Ross R75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjess View Post
Porbably ben asked many times before but heck, I'm tired and do not want to search too much.

Anyway, I heard that fully synthetic is best but sucks/cleans out the inside of the engine taking all the old oil crud that is lying around, is this true?
If I were to use synthetic, would I be better changing the filter after a few thousand, or the filter and the expensive oil again?

On the "other" forum there was an advert for oil additive and I think I asked at the time if anyone used it. It is supposed to fill the gaps that wear produces. Has anyone used any stuff like that?
A true fully-synthetic oil will remove caked-on carbonised oil from the engine internals. If you must switch to full-synthetic you can forget changing the filter after a few thousand. You'll need to fill with your new oil then change oil and filter after a couple of hundred miles and replace with fresh fully synthetic oil. This removes all of the microscopic particles that the fully synthetic will remove, they are too small for the filter to catch but are incredibly abrasive.

Personally, I'm sticking with semi-synthetic. I've yet to see any credible evidence to suggest that fully-synthetic oil is any better for your engine than regularly changed semi-synthetic or even mineral oil. Unless you do 15k+ between oil changes I wouldn't bother.
Old 10th June 2007, 21:48   #3
MartinW

MG TF LE500

Forget aftermarket magic mouse milk. I am too tired to answer in full, though, as to why you should.

As to the particles released, the filter can get clogged, too, owing to the sticky nature of the particles and more worryingly, the particles can clog very small oil ways and starve oil flow.

Synthetic is best used from near new. I have come to the conclusion after 91k miles that synthetic is indeed a waste of time - it's not the engine that's giving me grief, that's the least of my worries.

It's the rest of the car that's falling apart! Next time I won't bother, I'll just do the std dealership cheapo oil changes at their recommended intervals of 12k miles (or whatever it was meant to be in their advertising bumpf and isn't) and flog the car onto some unsuspecting punter before it starts falling apart. Afterall, frequent oil changes are just bad for the environment and only make oil companies and garages rich.
MartinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 20:26   #4
myjess
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT

bump.
Anyone else used the "aftermarket magic mouse milk"? Notice any difference?
Old 11th June 2007, 20:28   #5
myjess
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT

'Ere, and another question, how does that oil flush stuff work? Surelay the engine cannot be running with it in and the oil draining out the bottom, so how else does it get around the engine to flush the oil out?
Old 11th June 2007, 21:21   #6
MartinW

MG TF LE500

The engine flushes are added for a very short period prior to drainage and are usually done when the engine is hot, and on tickover, not under load, because they dilute the oil's viscosity in some cases.

As to magic mouse milk - I won't bore you with the details but independent testing found, in many cases, no actual improvement in wear control, and some companies have been fined heavily for false claims. the simple Timken OK Load test they demonstrate can be replicated with products such as shampoo, and I have heard, milk, too. Coca-cola is also reputed to be a brilliant flushing product.

Where companies are selling this product my first question will be where are the MSDS forms? If they can't answer that, steer clear. Then I'll ask for independent testing reports - again if I am given "customer letters" to read, then I will steer clear - any one can write a letter, and few letter writers ever appear qualified to make objective assesments in a scientific vein. Lastly, if they won't tell me what the product contains beyond some Harry Potterish gibberish, then I shall definitely walk away.

You can not make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and you cannot improve the quality of a cheap oil. Not without good scientific support. Major oil companies do vast amounts of research into the various conditions in which their oil will be used, and do significant testing beyond mere wear control.

I'm sorry, but a chap buying a 208L drum of chlorinated hydro-carbons for £100 or so, and then selling it on in 150mL bottles at £15 ea will not convince me his product is any good for my car. And nor do I want to add a heap of finely chopped up Teflon in to my oil.
MartinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 00:59   #7
Ross R75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

I can confirm that Coca Cola is indeed an excellent flushing product. We use it to strip carbon from the gas parts of GPMG machine guns, it saves hours of scrubbing.
Old 12th June 2007, 07:32   #8
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross R75 View Post
I can confirm that Coca Cola is indeed an excellent flushing product. We use it to strip carbon from the gas parts of GPMG machine guns, it saves hours of scrubbing.
T'is excellent for getting limescale off toilet bowls too
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote