Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th April 2007, 08:45   #41
martin1973
Loves to post

MG ZT

Just noticed the site has dropped all the £ signs when its been uploaded by the pixies, have sent a couple of emails but no reply as yet...
martin1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2007, 20:34   #42
Simon W
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.0 Litre Club Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin1973 View Post
Hi

Ive my own business and website www.goosemirecottages.co.uk and received the following email

-
Hi
I am looking for accommodation in the Lake District and landed on your web
site. The following link
http://www.goosemirecottages.co.uk/s...pertyID=447176
resulted in a virus report from 2 different anti-virus products. The file in
question is hker[1].htm. The suspected virus is called Exploit-MS06-014
(Trojan).
Any thoughts?
Regards
Tony
--

Anyway i checked the link and there is a virus which kaspersky picks up, but it seems to be on all of the sites pages.

Could the email have been a hoax and downloaded a virus onto the site, any other idea how a virus could be put onto the site and how could it be removed?

Thanks for your help
Martin - this isn't much help but there were a few trojans flying about last week. My system detected one called Trojan.Feutel.av on Friday. Got rid of the damned thing but it was back again on Sunday.

Btw, have you got your website's files backed up offline? If so, you could run a scan on them and if they're all clear you could re-upload them to replace the ones you have online at the moment. I use this method as a safety system for a website that I maintain for a documentary programme distributor.

hth,

Simon.

PS. They ought to make trojan/virus writing a hanging offence.
Simon W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2007, 21:19   #43
martin1973
Loves to post

MG ZT

Hi Simon

I only had the files ive tweaked backed up, ended up going through every folder deleting the virus code (even on older versions of pages) went to re-upload checked the site first and the virus had been removed as well as the £ sign. Been away today and web designers didnt reply to my emails so will ring tomorrow and chew a few ears

Will keep a back up and try and sort out the files and remove the older stuff.

Hanging is far too quick a death, how about death by cheese grater with a squeeze of jif lemon here and there for good measure (i would faint am no good with gore)
Old 17th April 2007, 21:56   #44
Simon W
This is my second home

Quote:
Hi Simon

I only had the files ive tweaked backed up, ended up going through every folder deleting the virus code (even on older versions of pages) went to re-upload checked the site first and the virus had been removed as well as the £ sign. Been away today and web designers didnt reply to my emails so will ring tomorrow and chew a few ears

Will keep a back up and try and sort out the files and remove the older stuff.

Hanging is far too quick a death, how about death by cheese grater with a squeeze of jif lemon here and there for good measure (i would faint am no good with gore)
I hope you get it sorted Martin. Once you know the site is clean, I'd copy absolutely everything onto your own PC using exactly the same directory/folder/file structure as the working website, then keep the whole shooting match as a backup. (With several DVD-RW safety copies too, in case your machine's hard drive goes belly up).

Whenever I make a change to the site I mentioned earlier (which is very often), I alter the relevant files on my PC and then re-upload them. That way, the PC here holds the master up-to-date version offline and the online 'copy' is merely its twin. It's very time consuming but it does mean that even if the online site got wiped out completely, I could re-upload everything and it would all work again straight away.

(NB. If you don't make regular changes to your site, then the aforementioned system is very easy - far less hassle than I have to go through).

Rich and GG obviously know much more about the complexities than I do so if I were you I would take their advice. (I'm no expert - I just operate on idiot-proof logic!)

Good luck Martin.

Simon.

PS. To hell with the gore factor - hanging, drawing and quartering is the correct way to treat these scumbag virus/trojan writers.
:SHOCKED:
Old 17th April 2007, 22:40   #45
martin1973
Loves to post

MG ZT

I do tweak and alter it several times a month, depends if have any offers on or last minute availability lists.

Will have to get a full back up of the asp pages css stylesheet etc and not just the html pages ive butchered.

Ok how about putting them in a freezer for a few hours then boiling them alive
Old 17th April 2007, 22:42   #46
martin1973
Loves to post

MG ZT

Ooooh my new banner advert is up, after the great free help received last night thought would pay something back to help keep the site up and running.
Old 17th April 2007, 22:44   #47
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Thanks Martin, as said make any changes if you wish but keep name and location same.

Happy hunting.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2007, 22:49   #48
Simon W
This is my second home

Quote:
Ok how about putting them in a freezer for a few hours then boiling them alive
Too painless!

Lovely looking places you have there Martin. I hope you're doing well with them. Mini-paradise -The Lakes.

Website I mentioned earlier (in process of revamping):
http://www.espressotv.com/1066bayeuxtapestry.htm

There are approx 600 files that make up this site.

Last edited by Simon W; 17th April 2007 at 23:42..
Old 18th April 2007, 14:00   #49
martin1973
Loves to post

MG ZT

Good looking site Simon, cant be doing with these fancy flash sites etc, they look good for the homepage but then get annoying as are often slow and distracting.

Netizen ran a script to clean up the server within an 1 1/2 hours of being infected, which explains why the site was suddenly virus free again.

I like to think it was the evil pixie

They are going to replace the £ signs and have insured me the server is far more secure now..
Old 18th April 2007, 22:55   #50
Simon W
This is my second home

Yes it's quite a simple site but fairly effective - I didn't design the original version, I just expanded it and added hundreds & hundreds of pages/pics.

It's a lot to maintain & keep up to date. Some of the pages need revamping as we speak and the red buttons on the black bar (LHS) could do with changing for a better colour and style.

There are some very interesting documentaries though if you trawl through the 'By Title' list. The Bayeux Tapestry programme is an outright winner if the guys can get the rest of the money to make it.

Glad to hear Netizen got rid of the virus. Those NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- pixies get everywhere!