Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

View Poll Results: How do you apply the handbrake
Press button and pull lever up 84 79.25%
Button is for releasing lever only 22 20.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th September 2016, 19:33   #1
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts
Default Correct Handbrake Procedure

Following on from another thread, I thought a poll was in order to see what handbrake procedure got the most votes.

What is the correct procedure for applying and releasing the handbrake?

Many of us dont like the ratchet/click noise when the handbrake is applied, we also press the button in to minimise ratchet wear when applying the handbrake.

Some say the design is to ratchet up without pressing the button to minimise the risk of it not latching properly, that pressing of the button is for releasing only.

SWIMBO and I have had this little disagreement for sometime, SWMBO was taught by her driving instructor that pressing the button was for releasing the lever only. I was taught to press the button when applying the handbrake, and obviously when releasing... so which procedure is correct?

I have just checked my MG ZT owners manual, I better not tell SWMBO as it looks like she maybe correct.
The manual states.
To apply the handbrake, pull the lever up. Always apply fully whenever you park the car.
To release, pull the lever up slightly, depress the button (arrowed in illustration) and fully lower the lever.

What do you guys and girls do?

Last edited by Dallas; 8th September 2016 at 20:21..
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 19:42   #2
iandux
Loves to post

At last....75 Facelift Connie

As a former Approved Driving Instructor trainer, I would always teach that allowing the lever to ratchet up on the mechanism is likely to cause excessive wear, and would be recorded as a minor fault on a driving test. That wear, if bad enough, could cause the ratchet to slip out of a worn tooth, releasing the handbrake (and probably when you're not in it!).

Pushing the button before applying and releasing at the top of the lever travel prevents this potential wear.

Then, press the button to release and letting it go once the lever is fully depressed is the correct way to release.

• This vehicle was the 96,129th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
  • This vehicle was the 2,123rd 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
  • This vehicle was the 394th 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s

Last edited by iandux; 8th September 2016 at 19:45..
iandux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 20:17   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandux View Post
As a former Approved Driving Instructor trainer, I would always teach that allowing the lever to ratchet up on the mechanism is likely to cause excessive wear, and would be recorded as a minor fault on a driving test. That wear, if bad enough, could cause the ratchet to slip out of a worn tooth, releasing the handbrake (and probably when you're not in it!).

Pushing the button before applying and releasing at the top of the lever travel prevents this potential wear.

Then, press the button to release and letting it go once the lever is fully depressed is the correct way to release.
this is the way I was taught. I cringe when I hear people pull the level up without depressing the button

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 20:22   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
this is the way I was taught. I cringe when I hear people pull the level up without depressing the button

macafee2
Worse still is the habit of not applying the handbrake at such as the traffic lights and sitting with the foot brake applied or even worse - rocking it on the clutch

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 20:27   #5
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts
Talking

i was a driving instructor in the army and it use to cost the learners Sixpence for every click heard when applying the handbrake they soon learnt
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 20:30   #6
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts
Default When parking on a steep slope

Another procedure that some may do, or may not do. When parking on a steep slope, do not rely on the handbrake alone to hold the car.

On manual gearbox models, leave the car parked with the gearbox in low FORWARD gear when facing UPHILL.

... and in REVERSE gear when facing DOWNHILL.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 20:30   #7
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Worse still is the habit of not applying the handbrake at such as the traffic lights and sitting with the foot brake applied or even worse - rocking it on the clutch
Or Harry, holding it on a slope with the clutch.--

In hilly Devon I've seen lots of folks doing that.----------Waiting for the traffic lights to change.

You can sometimes get a whiff of burning clutch plate.

Last edited by COLVERT; 8th September 2016 at 20:33..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 20:40   #8
KRISTLEE
I really should get out more.......

None at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Sorry Harry even though I always press the button in when operating the hand brake it only gets pressed twice per journey when I first take the handbrake off at the start and when I put the handbrake on at the end of my journey as I must admit I am one of those who sit at traffic lights with my foot on the brake pedal.

I have actually done a lot of reading online and doing this causes no damage but I know at night the glare from rear brake lights can be irritating to cars sitting behind....my excuse is I very very seldom drive at night so I'm not causing any eyesores to fellow drivers

Lee.

DONE: HAD A CRAZY IDEA THAT I HAD TO GET RID OF MY MG ZTT DUE TO NOT HAVING A DRIVE AND HAVING TO PARK ON A BUSY STREET WITH A VIEW TO GETTING ANOTHER ONE AT A LATER DATE WHEN I HAVE A DRIVE.

ENDED UP REALISING IT REALLY ISN'T PRACTICAL NOT HAVING A CAR TO GET AROUND AND I NOW OWN A VW EOS 3.2 V6 INDIVIDUAL (1 OF 20 REMAINING IN THE UK WITH THAT ENGINE AND TRIM COMBO) EVEN THOUGH I STILL LIVE ON A BUSY ROAD WITHOUT A DRIVE
KRISTLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 20:45   #9
keithst24
This is my second home

X Power Grey MGZT 180+ Auto... Bumble & 1.8T Odessey Rover 75 Contemporary SE manual

Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,403 Posts

I use the ''P''
Born Monday, 16th June 2003 @ 14:30:35
This vehicle was the 9,196th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
This vehicle was the 576th ZT 180 + to be made out of 828
This vehicle was the 871st ZT in XPower Grey (code: LEF) to be made out of 3,143 XPower Grey ZTs
keithst24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 20:47   #10
KRISTLEE
I really should get out more.......

None at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithst24 View Post
I use the ''P''
Sometimes when I park up on level ground that's all I use and don't put the handbrake on.

Lee.

DONE: HAD A CRAZY IDEA THAT I HAD TO GET RID OF MY MG ZTT DUE TO NOT HAVING A DRIVE AND HAVING TO PARK ON A BUSY STREET WITH A VIEW TO GETTING ANOTHER ONE AT A LATER DATE WHEN I HAVE A DRIVE.

ENDED UP REALISING IT REALLY ISN'T PRACTICAL NOT HAVING A CAR TO GET AROUND AND I NOW OWN A VW EOS 3.2 V6 INDIVIDUAL (1 OF 20 REMAINING IN THE UK WITH THAT ENGINE AND TRIM COMBO) EVEN THOUGH I STILL LIVE ON A BUSY ROAD WITHOUT A DRIVE
KRISTLEE is offline   Reply With Quote