Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Zed The Ted on Tour
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th July 2011, 16:35   #1
Hengist
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi

Default Euro Tour - Part 3

All good things unfortunately come to an end, and I had to leave Hungary about a week ago and head home again.

We'd gone out via the Swiss Alps, Italy and Slovenia, so came back to the UK via Austria and Germany.

Camped for the night at Hallstatt, SE of Salzburg and site of some the earliest evidence of Celtic culture. We went up the Salzberg ("Salt Mountain") on a funicular, and into the still-operational salt mine for a look around. This pic was taken near the salt-mine entrance, overlooking the Hallstattersee Lake.

In the background you can see the panoramic bridge that gives you views across the Lake. Stunning place, with the town built right on the Lake's edge and accessible only via a tunnel through the mountain.

The Catholic Church had hisorical problems with burials due to the limited space, so people were dug up after 20 years and their bones stored in a special ossuary.

No excuses for another pic without ME, hopefully to give an idea of what a beautiful place Hallstatt is ...

Camped for the night at Nurnberg, and got up next morning to visit the Zeppelin Field, which was the scene of the Nazi Party's Nuremberg Rallies in the 1930s. Mostly dismantled and destroyed now, this part of it still remains ...

As every tourist does, I just had to get my picture taken on the podium once occupied by Mr Hitler ...

From there, it was on to Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber. You've probably not heard of it, a small town between Nurnberg and Mannheim, but you'll have seen it in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. It's the town where the Childcatcher operates, and is completely surrounded by the original Old City Wall still. You can walk round it ...

However, I was a bit scared to actually show my face in the town, which I'd heard was inhabited by GIANTS! This seems to be true enough ...

So, although I was personally too frightened, here's what the town looks like - very much well-preserved traditional German:

On our last day, we went to Sinsheim Auto & Technik Museum in SW Germany. Thoroughly recommended for any transport buff - with a collection of tanks, trains, racing and historic cars (including two of Hitler's and one of Stalin's) and the odd Focke Wulf, Junkers 88, Me109 and Heinkel III ... as well as roof-mounted Concorde and Tupolev Tu-144 (you can see the reflection of its nose in the 2nd photo below) that you can walk through.

And that was it! Back to the UK and looking forward to my next holiday with one of you lovely people ...
Hengist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 21:20   #2
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

A fantastic tour you have done their,with great pictures.I have enjoyed all three parts..many thanks.

I think Zed could do with a well earned rest,that is unless another member wants to take him on his next voyage.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 16:20   #3
sikelsh
This is my second home

MGF

hehe, enjoyed them too

Dont think people know the posts are here, shame really
Old 8th August 2011, 14:27   #4
starbug2
This is my second home

Silver Rover 75 Tourer Club SE CDTI + MGF 1.8 in BRG

i only just noticed the photos i was wondering what happen to the ted after he left me just after i got back from my time with him . some very nice photos and i wish the Ted well for his future

now with 2020 MG ZS 1Lt TURBO engine with automatic 6 speed gearbox to help keep the 75 and MG F going as long as possible
starbug2 is offline   Reply With Quote