Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th September 2017, 10:46   #1
pvmw

rover 75 saloon

Default A Cruise Control Question

I've had a V6 for about 6 months, Most problems are sorted now, but the cruise control has never worked. However the drivers side carpets were damp so the sunroof drain needed sorting and while I was in the footwell with trim removed I thought I'd have a look at the switch on the brake pedal, as that appears to be a common fault.

When I found it, I discovered that there are no wires attached to the switch at all. I'm the wrong shape to fit comfortably on my back in a footwell with my feet on the seat (at one point I wasn't sure how I was going to get out again) but I had as good a look round as I could and couldn't find any loose connector needing a home. It seems unlikely it could never have been attached (all the other controls are present), so can anyone tell me whereabouts behind the scuttle that part of the loom originates so I can trace it from a point where I can identify it. Its a bit of a long shot but someone may be able to help.

Oh, incidentally.... The carpets can absorb about 16 pints of water before they are saturated. That is how much the dehumidifier extracted from the passenger footwell when I repaired that side.
pvmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 07:47   #2
Chuckles
Gets stuck in

NOW a Club Tourer was 1999 - 75 2.0Ltr Connoisseur SE petrol Saloon

The question is ... was it a damp day? De-hums will try to extract more moisture than you would think if the atmosphere is damp. Bare in mind that it will draw moisture for all absorbent materials.... seats, roof lining etc., is it fan assisted or static?
If I get into that position I will try and find the wires you need!!!
Membership #1896
Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 10:48   #3
pvmw

rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
The question is ... was it a damp day? De-hums will try to extract more moisture than you would think if the atmosphere is damp. Bare in mind that it will draw moisture for all absorbent materials.... seats, roof lining etc., is it fan assisted or static?
If I get into that position I will try and find the wires you need!!!
It is fan assisted, and all the windows were kept shut to try to reduce the amount it extracted from the atmosphere. It wasn't one day either, it was in there for a couple of months, followed by a summer with some decently hot days to finish the job.

If you do get the chance, it would be nice to have the cruise control working, it might get my fuel consumption above 30mpg on a run (compensating for my heavy right foot). Its rather odd that its been disconnected (one has to assume it was there originally).

Old 10th September 2017, 10:55   #4
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

If you have brake lights then the plug is there.
I have had cars with faulty cruise because people have put the wrong brake switch in. The brake block switch for non cruise and cruise control looks identical but are different internally, non cruise is a single pole switch, cruise is a dual pole.
They have the same part number except the cruise control switch has an "A" at the end of the part number.
I have found on some cars unless the correct brake dual switch is fitted to a car with cruise control you may not also get any brake lights as well.
Had one that the auto electricians had re wired the brake lights because they didn't figure out that the wrong brake switch was fitted.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 20:11   #5
pvmw

rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
If you have brake lights then the plug is there.
The brake lights work, but I've assumed that they are operated by a pressure switch in the hydraulics. If it works this is a photo of the switch;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/78047268@N00/37150704455

Its right at the very top of the brake pedal. I'm pretty sure its working, when I move the pedal I feel a slight click which I think is the switch operating, but when I feel round the back of it there appears to be no connector. Oh, and......
the switch appears to operate with a minimal movement of the pedal (a few mm), the brake lights don't come on until the pedal is depressed significantly.

Last edited by pvmw; 10th September 2017 at 21:33..
Old 16th September 2017, 13:36   #6
pvmw

rover 75 saloon

Progress, or not...............

I've spent some time in the footwell, and removed the brake pedal switch associated with the cruise control. Initially I tried pushing it toward the pedal (towards the rear of the car) in case it was dislodged - as advised on another thread. That didn't help so I've managed to extract the switch which appears to be a hall effect sensor.

Next thought is it might be faulty - hall effect switches do fail, so unless it is silly expensive I thought I might try replacing it Rimmers don't stock them and I can't find one on Ebay or by doing a search. Can anyone point me in the direction of a replacement?