Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th April 2020, 13:17   #1
Melodi

Rover 75 saloon

Question What is wrong with my Rover 75 V6?

Hello Everyone!

I am new on this forum and I am excited to be here. I am Patrick from Ghana and a great fan of Rover (esp 75s). I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this but i desperately need help.....

I recently bought a Rover 75 2.5V6 from a guy who knows absolutely nothing about this superb vehicle. The car has been sitting for over a year and has no maintenance history.

It was sluggish at first drive. engine rev was unstable and there was slight tapping noise at the engine bay. Engine stalled a few times before i could get it home. Engine died immediate shift gear was put in reverse. I put OBD2 scanner on it and got the following codes;
P0175, P0300, P1319, P0335, P0340 as both stored and pending codes. I removed the Cam sensor, MAP sensor and the boost sensor for cleaning. I also removed the sensor on the throttle body for cleaning as well. After putting them back, I cleared the codes and i tried running the engine but it died a few seconds after starting. I tried several times, got tired and left it to stand overnight.

The next morning, i run the engine and it was running far better than before. i put the scanner on it and got P0175 and P0300. I took it for a ride and recorded some data as attached. it drove well and i could reverse without any problems. There is a bit of sound under the car like a torn exhaust and the engine rattles at high revs around 6000 rpms. the slight tapping sound in the engine bay is still present.

Kindly help me diagnose the problems and the appropriate remedy. There aren't any known Rover mechanics or parts dealers in my area and i don't want someone experimenting with this car. I know i will find solutions.

Thank you all and i wish you safe stay at home amidst this pandemic.
Waiting for your feedback
Melodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2020, 13:32   #2
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Post number 5 on this page:-
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...ht=P0175+P0300
will give you the codes
(misfire and running rich)
Clatter after a long period of standing is usually down to hydraulic tappets. A good flush with flushing oil may help. Some folks have used a cupful of diesel mixed in with the engine oil but that is risky and up to you. Run as instructed by the flush manufacturers and replace with clean fresh oil after draining old out. Slight tapping sound could just be the fuel return valve. (Hopefully not a rattling inlet manifold!)

Last edited by roverbarmy; 13th April 2020 at 13:37..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2020, 13:38   #3
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

As it is a V6 failing VIS Motors come to mind causing incorrect fuel/air mix leading to multiple misfires and lumpy running

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2020, 15:58   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hello Patrick and to the club. To begin with, this might be useful:

P0175 = rich mixture on RH bank
P0300 = Random/multiple misfire

VIS actuator and flap valve problems cause listless performance but don't affect the mixture so don't worry about those for now. Considering the vehicle's history I would carry out a thorough engine service yourself (air filter, spark plugs, oil change, check crankcase breather tubes for breakages, etc.). As Roverbarmy correctly says, a dose of flushing oil would be beneficial (use the real thing not the little bottle of Love potion no. 9 which you add to your filthy engine oil).

It's difficult to diagnose the rattling. It could be the hydraulic tappets if it increases with. engine speed or the VIS power valves might be dislodged. How many miles/km is the instrument pack showing?

Simon