Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th June 2020, 15:32   #21
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

We had three V8 Rover 3500's (one a 3500S) and they all died due to excessive rust. They all performed wonderfully (once I learned how to set and adjust the points) until the first fuel crisis came along and spoiled the V8 owners fun! I have since gone through a series of 214SEI, 414, 25 and two 75s. Two of the 1.4 K series had the obligatory coolant leaks so were treated to new head gaskets, water pumps and belts during the cure! My first 75 (a 1.8) had a similar issue but my V6 .............. I am not going to say in case I bring on the law of Murphy! All of my Rovers have brought admiring glances and lots of conversations in car parks. My current Cowley V6 is often admired and is a magnet for car fans of all persuasions (lovers and haters of the marque).Who could resist?
Old 13th June 2020, 17:15   #22
BRG75
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer, 9th & 10th Rovers

Might I say an interesting initial question.

Although you anticipated a biased response, the significant outcome as I see it, is the importance of this on-line club, with some extremely knowledgeable contributors, which have, and hopefully will continue, to keep this now somewhat historic marque alive.

Thank you Mean & Green, for prompting this point to be amplified.

Regards

Mike

Previously
2002 75 1.8 auto Club SE,
2000 75 1.8 auto Classic SE (Company Car)
1997 420 (Company Car)
1996 216 cabriolet,
198? 213 VDP
1986 SD1 V8 VDP,
1968 2000TC,
1966 2000.

Last edited by BRG75; 13th June 2020 at 17:20..
BRG75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2020, 17:24   #23
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean & Green View Post
Some interesting comments, it seems that for a lot of you the 75/ZT was more deserving of the old Rover image of being classy with elevated quality over the competition.

I agree that the other cars from the range seem to lack the same level of build and rust is more of an issue with the likes of the 25. They all still offer a certain something though. I think they are all above average in how they feel to drive.

Can’t help feeling sad that it is all gone forever.
My ZR was just outstanding. Grip and handling were amazing along with a FULLY rebuilt 1.8 engine. Had it got VW on the front it would have sold twice as many such is badge snobbery.
Old 13th June 2020, 17:58   #24
Mean & Green
Regular poster

MG ZR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG75 View Post
Might I say an interesting initial question.

Although you anticipated a biased response, the significant outcome as I see it, is the importance of this on-line club, with some extremely knowledgeable contributors, which have, and hopefully will continue, to keep this now somewhat historic marque alive.

Thank you Mean & Green, for prompting this point to be amplified.

Regards

Mike
I’m pleased you liked my post. I am very passionate about these cars and often feel that they are/were berated unfairly. I some times wonder if I’m just a little odd, but driving these cars tells me that I’m not.

I am curious what draws others to the cars/brand because these days there seems to be a distinct split/difference of opinion.

For me they are something a bit special. No they aren’t exotic, but they are different, fun, rewarding and surprisingly easy to keep going in 2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
My ZR was just outstanding. Grip and handling were amazing along with a FULLY rebuilt 1.8 engine. Had it got VW on the front it would have sold twice as many such is badge snobbery.
Yes I agree. My ZR feels great to throw around, it is a touch crude - but this just adds to the fun factor. Very responsive 1.8, a nice sound and good feel for the road.

I’m also impressed with the big ZT-T, I was not expecting such a big car to feel as nimble and grippy as it does. It has that ‘MGness’ about it which makes it a pleasure to drive IMO.
Mean & Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2020, 12:56   #25
Roderick
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Connoissuer SE

Thanks Roverbarmy and your beautiful V6 – also I note sporting a set of Contour rims. They rarely ever get a mention as they when in great condition as yours are, look very good. Yes, they are 15" and perhaps visually bigger rims suit better, but the ride is superb and of course tyres are cheaper. I would like to get my ones refurbished as the corrosion from some plonker when putting new tyres on many moons ago put the weights on the outside – result, disaster.
Old 14th June 2020, 13:25   #26
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
also I note sporting a set of Contour rims.
I think Contours go rather well on silver Cowleys

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2020, 17:01   #27
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

In over 50 years of motoring, the majority of mine have been Rovers or Jags. It all started with my late Father's SD1 V8, an early model (1977) and not well screwed together, but it didn't put me or him off as he replaced it with a 1980 V8S which I still have. He had a principle to buy the largest car he could afford at 4 or 5 years old and run it into the ground - i.e. until it rusted away at about 12 years old. Hence he had run Wolseleys, Austins until the Rovers, and finally had a Series 3 Jaguar 4.2 Sovereign (1986 bought in 1989) which I also still have. My motoring cv started with a Vauxhall Cresta (PC) and a Viscount, before a Ford Granada 3.0 Ghia, a 2.8GLS and then a Triumph 2500 TC. The latter was the best of the lot - fast enough, and so quiet you could hear the petrol swigging in the tank at traffic lights, and not the engine! This sent me down the BL route, and I ran a number of Montego 2.0GTIs, a Rover 800 (early demonstrator on the firm), an 827SLi, and then a 75 Tourer, and the rest is history. I have owned this one for 10 years, and another 2 75s and 2 ZTs joined the fleet when I took early retirement. I have dallied with several Jags, and love the 2.5 and 3.0 litre versions for their 4 wheel drive, but I still prefer the 75s, and i am wondering what an earth I shall buy when these are no longer useable. Don't fancy anything, even if I could afford it! I just hope that what I already have will last me out - I use them in rotation so they don't deteriorate too much.

Recently bought one of the last diesel Jag X Types, mint condition and one owner from new, but it still doesn't drive as well as the Rover - that says it all I think!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2020, 17:11   #28
Mean & Green
Regular poster

MG ZR

Thanks for posting your own experiences chaps. It’s good to read what your experiences are.

I also wonder what I will do when the MG-Rover era of cars are no longer a viable daily option, as I truly don’t believe a new car would be worth the expense. Quite like the look of new Ford Focus STs, but the price isn’t justified IMO.

Reading your comments just further highlights how underrated our cars are.
Mean & Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2020, 18:41   #29
breakfastinsmethwick
Gets stuck in

Maintainer of sons ZT M47r

Well, I am biased having proudly worked for Austin Rover / Rover in various R and D roles from 1990 to 2000. I still cant believe how much the press especially Midlands today reported problems with cars so much. Considering today that the serious issues many other manufacturers had seem not to either count against them or even make the headlines. I know people who have worked in a so called prestigious german manufacturer and the warranty issues were horrendous. I also think Mr Clarkson didn't help. It always seems to my paranoid view of things that motoring journalists seem to ignore what other makers were putting out at the time.

I don't understand how the VAG group have not been banned from selling cars, can you imagine if it was done by Rover back in the day?

Just my opinion, others will differ.
breakfastinsmethwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2020, 20:02   #30
peelaaa
Posted a thing or two

75 cdti 2004 contemporary

As a young'un in in the late 80's, rover had an old man's image. There was no way I'd buy one. I had Alfa Romeos until late 90s, tried a few Citroens, Saab's, Renault, Peugeot.
Missus liked the look of the 75 so tried a 2005 tourer, at 3 yr old. Kept it till 2018, 2nd clutch put it off the road. Bought a saloon and still have it.

Great cars but yes, they had an image problem, and I think the press were against British cars at the time.
People believed them, bought french drop to bits rubbish , German no soul cars, Japanese boring boxes.
peelaaa is offline   Reply With Quote