Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th July 2020, 09:46   #1
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Airbag/MOT question

My garage is struggling with getting the airbag light to go out for the MOT test. They've soldered the wires together on the yellow connector, still no joy. Last time I had this problem, just sliding the driver's seat fixed it (temporarily). I think maybe best to take the car back and find someone with a T4 to diagnose it, before my garage bill becomes more than the car is worth

I've read most of the threads on airbag faults...it's a minefield!

My current MOT runs until 27 July. If the garage does not declare the MOT test results of today/yesterday, I can presumably still drive the car until the MOT test is due? Or is there no way back once the test is logged? I'm only asking because I'm off to Spain next week until August, and the car will be parked up at the airport until I return. Furthermore, the MOT deadline may well be prolonged by 6 months automatically, so I would be able to drive home on returning from Spain; then I can properly attend to getting the fault fixed.
Interior Trim Sports PPH Black, but now with real walnut wooden trim!
One of only 20 on the road!
Pueblo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2020, 09:52   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Toaf would be an invaluable help in identifying the SRS fault, as your car is a later model you'd need the small programme available on the Toaf website for the Autoliv system. I believe the programme runs on it's own on anything higher than Vista (on mine Win10) so all you need is the VW KKL cable.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2020, 09:56   #3
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

From Gov UK web site
Your car, van or motorcycle’s MOT expiry date will be extended by 6 months if it’s due between 30 March 2020 and 31 July 2020.
You can drive the car anytime you like but it should comply with the law at the time or you risk a penalty if stopped.
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2020, 10:46   #4
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Not for one second am I suggesting you drive your car if it fails an MOT but I have not seen a traffic cop for months.

I suppose they must still be out there but I know all the usual places they sit for speed checks and I haven't seen one of those for 3 months.

I wonder if I was doing 120 down the local bypass they would appear?
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2020, 12:14   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblo_Boy View Post
I think maybe best to take the car back and find someone with a T4 to diagnose it ...

I had an airbag fault once and T4 helped to find it.
Quote:
... before my garage bill becomes more than the car is worth
I never see the logic of that statement. No-one recovers the cost of repairs and maintenance when they sell a vehicle or most other machinery for that matter! I always consider what it would cost for a replacement of greater reliability and desirability and compare that to the price of repair.
Quote:
I can presumably still drive the car until the MOT test is due? Or is there no way back once the test is logged?
Despite the scare stories, if your car fails an MOT test before the existing expiry date, the car will still be shown on the .gov website as having a valid MOT. So yes, you can still legally drive the car. Furthermore, as it sounds as if you qualify for the six month extension you can do so until the end of January next year although that's not an invitation to delay repairing the fault*.

Simon

* See Teflon's later post for further detail on this.

Last edited by SD1too; 4th July 2020 at 19:27..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2020, 12:26   #6
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

I read somewhere that if you have an MoT during the 6 month extension period and fail, the extension period from then on is void.
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2020, 13:02   #7
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

It could also be the passenger seat connector. I wasted about half an hour fiddling with the drivers seat connector before pulling apart and refixing the passenger seat connector. Problem solved! I usually spray them internally with contact cleaner every year now before the test.
Old 4th July 2020, 13:47   #8
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

All ended well.

However, according to a letter the garage showed me (well, waved at me!), the Government is now not delaying MOT test dates by 6 months, even for those with due dates this month, they are merely extending it until the 1st of August. In other words, his interpretation is that there will be no more 6 month extensions, as most if not all garages are now open again. So even if your MOT date is tomorrow, you will not get an extension beyond 1st of August.
Old 4th July 2020, 13:59   #9
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:
All ended well.

However, according to a letter the garage showed me (well, waved at me!), the Government is now not delaying MOT test dates by 6 months, even for those with due dates this month, they are merely extending it until the 1st of August. In other words, his interpretation is that there will be no more 6 month extensions, as most if not all garages are now open again. So even if your MOT date is tomorrow, you will not get an extension beyond 1st of August.
That’s wrong, from the horses mouth so to speak, any vehicle that has an MOT due up until the 31st of July will have an extension any MOT due from the 1st of August won’t have an extension

Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2020, 14:18   #10
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

That's what I thought, too. Either he has a newer notification contradicting that, or as is seemingly quite normal with this Government's proclamations, confusion reigns o'er the land!