Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st May 2020, 19:12   #1
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Default Seat piping repair

The light grey piping on the edge of my ash grey seat has worn away , where I rub against it when I get in and out . I seem to recall mention of a compound / kit which is applied to repair such damage ? Can anyone recommend or advise what it is and where to get it ?
Old 1st May 2020, 21:05   #2
CimmaronG
Gets stuck in

Roverless at present :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
The light grey piping on the edge of my ash grey seat has worn away , where I rub against it when I get in and out . I seem to recall mention of a compound / kit which is applied to repair such damage ? Can anyone recommend or advise what it is and where to get it ?
Just order some leather repair/filler off fleabay for same reason, awaiting delivery.

And some dye hopefully right shade??

Will have to wait and see how it goes.
Left the production line 08:07:14hrs on 01/07/2004

'Best to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it'
CimmaronG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2020, 12:38   #3
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

My drivers seat was similar with the plastic piping hanging loose for about 3" or so.
The best solution I found was to sew the piping back in place to the seat using thread of a similar colour (mine was dk grey so I used black) I started at a point free of damage and overstitched all way down to where it was good again carefully keeping the stitches close to each other and overlapping to hide the white plastic.
I have done this twice, originally I used strong cotton type thread but after about a year this started to fray so I did it again using a thread for sewing leather which is supposed not to fray. (I tried to get thread that was included in a leather steering wheel glove kit I bought once used for lacing up but couldn't seem to find any separately.) Because I wasn't sure of the durability of the second thread I cut a piece of Gorilla tape and applied it lengthways over the stitching making sure I tucked it well into the fold of the piping each side.
That was over 2 years ago and its still in place and whilst up close its not perfect its very acceptable from a general viewpoint.
I have also developed a habit of getting in the car by grabbing the windscreen pillar to lower myself into the seat as opposed to dragging my whole weight across especially beneficial due to my backward sloping drive.
Hope this helps.
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2020, 06:13   #4
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Remove any buttons from your rear trouser pockets as they catch and I have never seen a purpose for them anyway!😉

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk