Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th July 2020, 09:38   #1
GJ53 DGO
Gets stuck in

MG-ZT 260SE

Default RCIB Insurance Brokers

Just a warning to anyone thinking of insuring their cars NOT to use this company, I took out a policy with them and decided a couple of days later that my previous years insurers were actually a better option, this was the 25th of May, so cancelled the new policy, they said I would receive an email to reply to so they could confirm I wanted to cancel the policy, this email never arrived, I then received a letter saying they were cancelling the policy for me not supplying the documents they asked for so I would receive nothing back. they have now said I can cancel the policy as of yesterday 4th of July and I will receive a whopping £36 back still losing me over £200

DO NOT USE RCIB INSURANCE EVER!
GJ53 DGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2020, 11:40   #2
snowman
Avid contributor

rover 75 tourer

If you paid on credit card claim it back
snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2020, 12:46   #3
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

I think this is common practice with insurance companies - although the amount you lost is excessive. They know their price will often be bettered by other companies so put a cancellation fee in to guard against you cancelling your policy with them.

I used to be with Admiral but when they jacked the premium went to Aviva. Notified Admiral I wouldn't be renewing and they dropped their quote by over £150. Aviva had a cancellation fee though so I stayed with them, and have been happy with their service and renewal costs so far.

When I'm next in the market I'll let them fight it out before signing up to a policy.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 5th July 2020 at 12:51..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2020, 19:55   #4
GJ53 DGO
Gets stuck in

MG-ZT 260SE

Unfortunately I paid a one off annual fee with my debit card, I'll be taking a trip to the bank on Tuesday when I have some time off to see what they can advise.
The cancellation fee was £60 which I still think was excessive. At least if I can stop other people being conned by them I can cost them more than they have screwed out of me.
Old 5th July 2020, 21:08   #5
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Your dates are the root. If you took the policy and was on cover on the same date as you paid, you have cancelled mid term. The policy documents with all conditions also have to be in your possession on or immediately after commencement of cover. If they sent them to you via email with attachments, and you had them on the date cover started, they have complied with requirements even if you had not read the conditions. The policyholder has an onus to fully read the details and to contact the insurer if not satisfied.

There are always break clauses and the charges can be for the cover given for a minimum term, not necessarily just for the time the policy was in operation. Indeed, just time on temporary cover is prohibitively expensive. There will also be significant charges for their searches and setting up. You might ask them for a fully itemised breakdown to justify their rates.

#Incidentally, it's probably just a bit unwise to allege sharp practice on a public forum.
Old 5th July 2020, 21:22   #6
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Any cooling off period with the policy?
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2020, 21:48   #7
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

Isn't there anything like distance selling regs. with insurance , ie a cooling off period if over the phone or internet ?
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2020, 08:10   #8
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Of course there is, and quite extensive! But, if cover has already been given and on risk....
Old 7th July 2020, 12:22   #9
GJ53 DGO
Gets stuck in

MG-ZT 260SE

I'm not disputing the cancellation fee although I feel I was ripped off there as other people have said they only paid £45 and they were going to charge me £60. My complaint is that I tried to cancel my policy within the cooling off period, they didn't send me the email to reply to so having spoken to them directly I felt they must be satisfied. I then came home from work over a month later to find a letter saying that they cancelled my insurance because I hadn't provided the paperwork they had asked for (that's how quickly I cancelled the policy after taking it out!) but they kept the policy running for over a month before taking it upon themselves to cancel it and I would have lost all my money but they were good enough to give me a whole £36 back from a £230+ policy when if they had done as I asked I would have received around £170 back. And as for doing this on a public forum I doubt I will get anything back so hopefully I can stop anyone else being duped by this unscrupulous company and cost them more than they have scammed out of me giving me some satisfaction instead of money which is better than nothing.
Old 7th July 2020, 23:10   #10
Alan_M
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer + saloon

If you have proof that you advised them to cancel your policy within the cool off period, maybe make a complaint to the FCA who regulate insurance companies.
Alan_M is offline   Reply With Quote