Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th July 2020, 10:47   #1
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts
Default Cyclops!

The first of many new road layouts at road junctions called cyclops (Cycle Optimised Protected Signals) is up & running in Manchester, They have £79million to spend on altering existing junctions around the city.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2020, 11:18   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
The first of many new road layouts at road junctions called cyclops (Cycle Optimised Protected Signals) is up & running in Manchester, They have £79million to spend on altering existing junctions around the city.

It will need to be drummed into some cyclists, that those double white lines mean 'Give Way'. There will be those that will cycle through, even when the lights on the road would be against them, that is, assuming the lights will be an indication to a cyclist to proceed with caution, and not be in place for them.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2020, 18:48   #3
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

I remember seeing a program about these junctions a couple of years ago, they were monitored and some cyclists were not using them correctly. When asked why they had not followed the rules their attitude was “ I am a cyclist and I don’t have to obey any rules”!
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2020, 07:51   #4
buchanan
Buchanan

Rover 75 connoisseur se ctdi Auto

Spending all that money its about time they paid Tax for using the road.
buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2020, 08:59   #5
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

In the article in the Manchester Evening news

Quote:
The junction marks the first part of a £13.4m cycling and walking route connecting Manchester to Chorlton
That is a distance of 4 miles = £3,350,000 per mile for a cycle path.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2020, 09:02   #6
Raven Black
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Default Cyclists

Absolutely mad, like everything else happening in this country. They won't even get used come the winter, like the ones in London.
Old 8th July 2020, 09:04   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by buchanan View Post
Spending all that money its about time they paid Tax for using the road.
I am not a cyclist or a lover of them, but you dont pay any more tax for road use than a cyclist does.

As long as they use it correctly, I wouldn't mind so much. I do have a problem with cyclists who cycle alongside a cycle lane. The road and cycle lane at jordanstown is a prime.exanple of this, ditto at titanic quarter. When I see this, I will give the bare minimum to avoid my car being damaged. At that point, they are no longer road users, they are trespassing.

Insurance and registration, now that is something to be applied.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Old 8th July 2020, 10:23   #8
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I am not a cyclist or a lover of them, but you dont pay any more tax for road use than a cyclist does.

As long as they use it correctly, I wouldn't mind so much. I do have a problem with cyclists who cycle alongside a cycle lane. The road and cycle lane at jordanstown is a prime.exanple of this, ditto at titanic quarter. When I see this, I will give the bare minimum to avoid my car being damaged. At that point, they are no longer road users, they are trespassing.

Insurance and registration, now that is something to be applied.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

This is annoying, and highly beligerent from someone surrounded by 2 tons of steel. Local to me is a road with a 'cycle' lane - that lane is less than 1 metre wide and includes the gutter of the road (where all the rubbish that will puncture tyres is, and in the autumn fall of leaf fall, in the winter full of the slush and snow thrown to the side of the road). I'm prepared to be surprised if the cycle lanes you mention are any better. The minimum 'gap' to (legally) overtake a cyclist is 1.5m (around 5 feet). So if you arent' giving that much clearance (from their furthest offside extent to the nearest side of your car) then you are too close. If there's space to overtake then there's space to be in the opposite lane. At the same time as constantly fighting to establish space on the road when on this section on the bicycle I'll find cars in traffic ahead with their nearside within the marked cycle lane.

Before you splutter about 'ok for cyclists to pass cars within inches, but not ok for cars to pass cyclists at the same distance' stop and think about who's in danger here.

Cyclists using the road 'trespassing' what a load of tosh to self-justify and rationalise your dangerous actions. The roads are for everyone.

Before you start bleating about 'road tax' / 'road fund licence' /'excise duty' there's plenty of cars that don't pay any either.

I'm ashamed that you're a member representing drivers of our fine cars.

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
Old 8th July 2020, 10:28   #9
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
This is annoying, and highly beligerent from someone surrounded by 2 tons of steel. Local to me is a road with a 'cycle' lane - that lane is less than 1 metre wide and includes the gutter of the road (where all the rubbish that will puncture tyres is, and in the autumn fall of leaf fall, in the winter full of the slush and snow thrown to the side of the road). I'm prepared to be surprised if the cycle lanes you mention are any better. The minimum 'gap' to (legally) overtake a cyclist is 1.5m (around 5 feet). So if you arent' giving that much clearance (from their furthest offside extent to the nearest side of your car) then you are too close. If there's space to overtake then there's space to be in the opposite lane. At the same time as constantly fighting to establish space on the road when on this section on the bicycle I'll find cars in traffic ahead with their nearside within the marked cycle lane.

Before you splutter about 'ok for cyclists to pass cars within inches, but not ok for cars to pass cyclists at the same distance' stop and think about who's in danger here.

Cyclists using the road 'trespassing' what a load of tosh to self-justify and rationalise your dangerous actions. The roads are for everyone.

Before you start bleating about 'road tax' / 'road fund licence' /'excise duty' there's plenty of cars that don't pay any either.

If you mean the A2 along the front where there is a completely separated 2m cycle pavement then they should use that, it's in their own interest (there are beligerent idiots in control of tons of steel driving along the road at high speed after all). However it doesn't bestow any other rights on you to ignore the law or common decency, or lessen their rights when using the road alongside.

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

To do:
Old 8th July 2020, 15:16   #10
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post

That is a different scenario, and one which I fully understand as a former cyclist. One I make full allowance for. I will go fully into the opposite lane for most cyclists

I have no issue with cyclists passing mere inches from me, none at all, as they are the ones putting themselves into danger as you say. However, this is where if they are to use the road where a lane is provided, they should be insured.

Yes they are indeed, and I do regardless of what you think, give a wide berth, and I would go as far to say, that I will not pass unless I can get over the white line. I will make that same pass too, if they are riding two abreast on a single lane carriageway - 'the roads are for everyone' (I am referring here to two to four cyclists here by the way, a peloton is a different matter, as that makes for a shorter distance to pass).

No bleating here. I pay VED as part of my obligation of owning a car, as do a lot of cyclists who also own a car (it's been nearly 100 years since a road tax has been applied)

I represent myself, so no need for shamed, I would suggest your shame be directed to the cyclists who campaign and subsequently refuse to use the cycle lanes.
That particular stretch of A2 was rather expensive (16.2 million if I recall), with a lot of people losing land and homes, not to mention the four years of disruption of its construction. It is rather fantastic piece of road, and a spectacular piece of cycle lane which is actually swept on a regular basis (!!). This is the issue I have. When such provisions are made (like the cyclops) for cyclists, yet they are ignored to the detriment of the other road users, I will make minimal provision to those who ignore my right to the road. (I know it is different to adhoc cycle lanes).

The titanic quarter cycle lanes, are near to my work (they are even safer in some places with kerbs to enclose the lane). I have been knocked over once, and nearly knocked over on another occasion because of the non use of cycle lane and a cyclist ignoring the red light on it.

As I said, I will do the bare minimum in these situations so as not to damage my car (think of that. If I do not damage my car, I do not damage other users). But I certainly will not make the effort to change lanes, to pass. If you fall into my path at that point, I have fulfilled my obligation (by doing the bare minimum), you did not even do the bare minimum by using the provided cycle lane. I will try to avoid, but I am trying to avoid the damage to my vehicle at that point not the selfish entitled idiot avoiding the cycle lane.

Just for the record, I am not spluttering or bleating like some kind of daily mail reader offended by an immigrant working in my local fast food take away. I do get annoyed about the loss of road width for road use, when it is repurposed and ignored.

Last edited by clf; 8th July 2020 at 15:33..