Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th October 2019, 16:10   #1
Gigagator
Avid contributor
 
Gigagator's Avatar
 
Rover 75 Saloon, Rover 25

Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 100
Thanks: 44
Thanked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Default Bitten the bullet - getting the clutch done

The clutch on my 75 has always had a biting point nearly on the floor, even since I bought it over 2 years ago with 50000 miles on the clock - now on 75000 miles!

I bled the clutch some months back but it made little lasting difference. In all this time it hasn't really got any worse, until about a week ago...

It's now so bad that I'm struggling to get it into gear, even with my foot mashed as hard as possible on the clutch.

Basically the clutch always seems to be dragging and it's now becoming undriveable.

So I've booked it in for a brand new clutch, slave and master cylinder tomorrow.

Bit of a kick in the teeth at £650, but I've had a look at alternatives such as buying another used car (Rover or otherwise), a new car on finance, leasing and nothing stacks up financially so I've decided to just go with it since I love the car.

I don't understand when people call you a nutter and say 'It's more than the cars worth'. But what are the alternatives? Buy another used motor for £800 but then need to spend however much getting it up to scratch for daily dependability. A PCP/leased car at £1500 deposit then £200 a month?

Sorry but the financials of replacing the 75 don't make sense to me!
Gigagator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gigagator For This Useful Post:
Old 7th October 2019, 17:28   #2
Jnorris
JNORRIS
 
Jnorris's Avatar
 
Rover 75 saloon

Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Horley
Posts: 145
Thanks: 119
Thanked 48 Times in 36 Posts
Default yr car

So true - couldn't agree more.
__________________
2002 Connie SE CDTi Raven Black saloon
1978 MGBGT Brooklands Green
Jnorris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jnorris For This Useful Post:
Old 7th October 2019, 17:37   #3
rab60bit
Gets stuck in
 
rab60bit's Avatar
 
Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wilmslow
Posts: 747
Thanks: 208
Thanked 142 Times in 94 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigagator View Post
The clutch on my 75 has always had a biting point nearly on the floor, even since I bought it over 2 years ago with 50000 miles on the clock - now on 75000 miles!

I bled the clutch some months back but it made little lasting difference. In all this time it hasn't really got any worse, until about a week ago...

It's now so bad that I'm struggling to get it into gear, even with my foot mashed as hard as possible on the clutch.

Basically the clutch always seems to be dragging and it's now becoming undriveable.

So I've booked it in for a brand new clutch, slave and master cylinder tomorrow.

Bit of a kick in the teeth at £650, but I've had a look at alternatives such as buying another used car (Rover or otherwise), a new car on finance, leasing and nothing stacks up financially so I've decided to just go with it since I love the car.

I don't understand when people call you a nutter and say 'It's more than the cars worth'. But what are the alternatives? Buy another used motor for £800 but then need to spend however much getting it up to scratch for daily dependability. A PCP/leased car at £1500 deposit then £200 a month?

Sorry but the financials of replacing the 75 don't make sense to me!
Are we talking KV6 (which is what I have)/T1.8 or diesel because I'm not far off coming to the same decisionmaking - £650 including a new master cylinder seems a reasonable top price for a KV6, a very good price for a diesel.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2019, 18:23   #4
Gigagator
Avid contributor
 
Gigagator's Avatar
 
Rover 75 Saloon, Rover 25

Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 100
Thanks: 44
Thanked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
Are we talking KV6 (which is what I have)/T1.8 or diesel because I'm not far off coming to the same decisionmaking - £650 including a new master cylinder seems a reasonable top price for a KV6, a very good price for a diesel.
Nah it's just a boggo standard 1.8 non-turbo.

Don't know how well the price stacks up to be honest but I was actually expecting more than that so was pleasantly surprised.

Plus the garage I use, J&P Autos in Cardiff, are very very good so hopefully worth it.
Gigagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2019, 19:17   #5
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two
 
Rover 75 Saloon

Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Penrith
Posts: 1,120
Thanks: 134
Thanked 272 Times in 213 Posts
Default

I was quoted £600 - £800 for anew clutch and slave on my CDT, depending on whether it needed a new DMF. An ex-Rover dealer, still with all the tools, also quoted me £800; wouldn't do it without replacing the dmf. I decided to do it myself, with help from an experienced Rover owner who had done his. Time consuming and annoying at times. Not a job I would want to pay a garage for that didn't know what they were doing, ie with previous experience. They would likely mess up, or take short cuts, and still charge extra for additional time taken. Someone who knows what they are doing will do it right, and in the shortest time necessary to do it properly. I silicon lubed the guide tube to ensure smooth operation, after wet & dry sanding out minor burrs and scratches, caused by a disintegrating thrust bearing. Light and as smooth as silk now!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2019, 19:17   #6
trikey
Premium Trader
 
trikey's Avatar
 
T4

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 24,242
Thanks: 5,271
Thanked 8,314 Times in 4,987 Posts
Default

Just for reference I will fit the three piece clutch kit (Luk or Borg and beck) for £500.
__________________
Lest we forget..
trikey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to trikey For This Useful Post:
Old 7th October 2019, 21:00   #7
Olde faithful
Avid contributor
 
ROVER 75 TOURER

Join Date: May 2017
Location: BIRMINGHAM GB
Posts: 170
Thanks: 11
Thanked 99 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Just for reference I will fit the three piece clutch kit (Luk or Borg and beck) for £500.
Just got mine done on Saturday LUK three section in mine and Slave and master and 2 year warranty for £630, the clutch is the lightest i have ever driven in a R75 CDT now even when brand new.

Had it back two days done 180 miles no problem, going down cornwall next week theres another 700 miles on test
Olde faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2019, 21:23   #8
macafee2
This is my second home
 
Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southampton
Posts: 8,644
Thanks: 858
Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde faithful View Post
Just got mine done on Saturday LUK three section in mine and Slave and master and 2 year warranty for £630, the clutch is the lightest i have ever driven in a R75 CDT now even when brand new.

Had it back two days done 180 miles no problem, going down cornwall next week theres another 700 miles on test
It is not really when the engine is cruising that's the problem, its the pressing and depressing of the clutch pedal.
Did mine last year, as you say, very light.

good luck

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2019, 23:16   #9
COLVERT
This is my second home
 
R75 Saloon.

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: France/or Devon.
Posts: 10,215
Thanks: 2,357
Thanked 1,085 Times in 949 Posts
Default

There's always the possibility that it was just the master cylinder.----------
__________________
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to COLVERT For This Useful Post:
Old 8th October 2019, 11:11   #10
victorgte
I really should get out more.......
 
victorgte's Avatar
 
3 Rovers and 1 MG

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cheltenham
Posts: 2,317
Thanks: 366
Thanked 449 Times in 351 Posts
Default

Every manual 75 Iíve driven had a heavy clutch pedal. Is this an indication of near failure or just a 75 characteristic?
__________________
Rover 75 2.0 cdti Connoisseur SE
Rover Streetwise GSi 2.0TD
Rover 75 2.0 V6 Connoisseur SE LPG
MG TF 135
victorgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2019, The Rover 75 & MG ZT Owners Club Ltd