Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th February 2019, 09:34   #1
Mogodon
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 135+ Diesel Auto Mk2. Nisan Micra 1.4 SVE Auto.

Default Worn tyres and safety.

Not really MGR but one involved.

Me and son went to a car boot this morning and saw a ZT a few cars away from mine. As we walked past son pointed out after a wander round, the fact that all four tyres were illegal, the fronts bald one with cords showing, and the rears below the legal limit and said he'd see about getting an ANPR stop marker put on it.

Son is a police officer and said dangerously worn tyres had become a frequent issue, especially over the last few years on older, prestige cars, which need expensive tyres, such as older Audi's, BMW'S and Mercedes-Benz's.

Now I know this is subjective and probably controversial, but he's noticed for some reason, the vast majority of old BMW's and it seems especially Audi's are owned and driven by Eastern Europeans and are the ones found to be poorly maintained and unroadworthy.

He also said this had got worse since police had cracked down on foreign registered vehicles being used in the UK over the six month limit (he seized a foreign vehicle the UK resident owner admitted he'd been driving here with no tax, insurance or MOT for over 3yrs dodging gawd knows how many parking and speeding tickets).
Plenum spyhole mod. Powerflow backbox. 11 spoke alloys repainted Black Sparkle. Black Expansion tank. Drivers side cup holder. PPD carpeted heater box sides. Illuminated sun visors, PPD Door reflectors. PPD Seatbelt lower mount bolt covers. PPD Drivers grab handle. Cubby rechargeable torch and power socket. FBH retro-fitted. FBH engine pre-heater mod done. Electric rear Sunblind. Tow bar. Flip key. MGR towing mirrors and Saloon roof bars.

Hand Built in Birmingham
Mogodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2019, 09:48   #2
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

People just don’t care about car servicing and safety. Young woman a few doors from me is driving her car with poor tyres and more shocking is that there are 2 child seats in the back putting them at risk too.
Fixed her car for her and mentioned the tyres. “My dad said they were fine”. It beggars belief how safety is just ignored. By the way she is not skint and can afford 2 new tyres. Dad must be a muppet too.
It’s not the first time. I glance at tyres when I walk through the village. If I were a police officer I would break all records. I could of course tip off my 3 kids who are all police officers????
Old 24th February 2019, 09:59   #3
Mogodon
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 135+ Diesel Auto Mk2. Nisan Micra 1.4 SVE Auto.

Son says driving on dangerously worn tyres are the one thing he can't get his head around the mentality of, as even cheapo chinese quandong ditch finders are safer than a Michelin with no tread and cords showing !!!!!
Plenum spyhole mod. Powerflow backbox. 11 spoke alloys repainted Black Sparkle. Black Expansion tank. Drivers side cup holder. PPD carpeted heater box sides. Illuminated sun visors, PPD Door reflectors. PPD Seatbelt lower mount bolt covers. PPD Drivers grab handle. Cubby rechargeable torch and power socket. FBH retro-fitted. FBH engine pre-heater mod done. Electric rear Sunblind. Tow bar. Flip key. MGR towing mirrors and Saloon roof bars.

Hand Built in Birmingham
Mogodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2019, 10:29   #4
egremont
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE. Auto. Saloon. SE

Default Essential to maintain tyres in a roadworthy condition.

I have noticed a couple of gents (with clip board and note pads in hand) having a close look at cars parked in our shopping centres.. At first, I didn't know what they were doing. Yes, they were checking tyres to ensure that they were roadworthy.

Pity that some owners can not be relied upon to maintain their vehicles.
Stopping distance is much longer when a car has badly worn tyres. Could mean the difference between stopping in time, or having an accident with possible injury.
Hope your son did the right thing!
egremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2019, 10:49   #5
mbwoy84

MG ZT+ 120

Out of date tyres are an issue too. That one is common even amongst supposed “enthusiasts” who don’t rack up many miles. There needs to be stricter rules on that on the MOT
mbwoy84 is offline   Reply With Quote