Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th January 2022, 19:52   #1
strand1988
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Default A tribute to the 75 that saved my life...

Driving home yesterday I was involved in a major accident when a van pulled out in front of me. The front of my 75 ended up under the van, smashing my windscreen and completely destroying the front end. The amazing paramedics, police and fire that attended the scene could not believe that I was able to open the door and be helped onto a stretcher.

I have owned my 75 for over 10 years loving polishing it and keeping it on the road - yesterday evening it repaid my kindness by saving my life. I know its silly to get attached to cars, but loosing the car is the only thing that has got me emotional during the whole ordeal, it was a buddy. It will be very fondly remembered. RIP old girl.

On a slightly lighter note... I have front and rear passenger doors in starlight silver that I had been intending to put on the car. I am keen to pass them onto someone, they are going free to anyone who can collect them from Hertfordshire.
strand1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2022, 20:04   #2
Southern Star
Loves to post

Rover 75 CTDi Contemporary SE

Gosh, what an awful experience. Sorry to hear about the car but at least you're ok and that's the main thing.
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2022, 20:06   #3
squire
Posted a thing or two

MGB GT, 2 Morris Minor Travellers

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by strand1988 View Post
Driving home yesterday I was involved in a major accident when a van pulled out in front of me. The front of my 75 ended up under the van, smashing my windscreen and completely destroying the front end. The amazing paramedics, police and fire that attended the scene could not believe that I was able to open the door and be helped onto a stretcher.

I have owned my 75 for over 10 years loving polishing it and keeping it on the road - yesterday evening it repaid my kindness by saving my life. I know its silly to get attached to cars, but loosing the car is the only thing that has got me emotional during the whole ordeal, it was a buddy. It will be very fondly remembered. RIP old girl.

On a slightly lighter note... I have front and rear passenger doors in starlight silver that I had been intending to put on the car. I am keen to pass them onto someone, they are going free to anyone who can collect them from Hertfordshire.
The main thing is you are OK. It's good to know that the cars are looking after their owners.
squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2022, 20:08   #4
BRG75
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer, 9th & 10th Rovers

Very sorry to hear this, but what a tribute to the strength of design built into these cars.

MIRA (Motor Industries Research Association) if that is who did the collision / impact tests are all well and good, but you have benefited in the real world, from a serious accident.

Best wishes for the future.

Mike

Previously
2002 75 1.8 auto Club SE,
2000 75 1.8 auto Classic SE (Company Car)
1997 420 (Company Car)
1996 216 cabriolet,
198? 213 VDP
1986 SD1 V8 VDP,
1968 2000TC,
1966 2000.
BRG75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2022, 20:11   #5
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

At least you are ok. Your Rover done it’s job in looking after you. Cars can be replaced.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2022, 20:29   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Take it steady and ensure your ok, after a big crash the effects sometimes do not show for a few days.

(And start to look around for the replacement 75)
Old 15th January 2022, 20:45   #7
Bazzateer

It's not at all silly to become attached to our cars. Glad you're OK.
Old 15th January 2022, 21:21   #8
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I had a similar experience, having a head on collision with a 4 wheel drive tractor and trailer (he was coming the wrong way, up a one way road on a blind bend) whilst driving my two year old Suzuki Swift. As the impact was with the tractor counterweights mountings, into the Suzuki bonnet and engine, the airbags didn't go off
https://gordons.claas-dealer.co.uk/m...range/tractors

I got whiplash which I worked with (back in work the next day) but finally had to stop work due to increasing pain and a "frozen" shoulder and arm. Six months of physio helped but I still have the after effects and do not enjoy seeing tractors on my journeys. I still have nightmares seeing those massive wheels climbing into my car! Believe it or not, they rebuilt the car but I traded it in soon after. Cars can be replaced. Take care. Mike

Last edited by roverbarmy; 15th January 2022 at 21:23..
roverbarmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2022, 21:46   #9
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Glad you got saved by your Rover 75 from serious injury. When I had my Rover SD1 3.5, I had an accident when a car drove into the passenger side out of a side road. It buckled the roof, and smashed the front passenger door into the car. Good job my wife was not with me. It turned the car round to point the other way. All I suffered was whiplash for about three days. And no, I did not claim for the whiplash. Car was written off, and I could have cried..
Old 16th January 2022, 06:42   #10
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Glad to hear you were able to walk away.
They are strong cars. My ZT, "Andy" was destroyed when we were hit by a
drug dealer running from the police. He hit us at well over 120KPH but my peripheral vision and Andy's fantastic brakes stopped us just in time to save me, but not my loyal ZT.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Rich in Vancouver; 17th January 2022 at 04:34..
Rich in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote