Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th June 2020, 22:52   #11
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
I owned a Rover SD1 3.5 Vanden Plas in the late 70s. Was t-boned by a cowboy coming out of a side road and written off. Was a lovely car. Only ever bought tyres for it in the 9years, I think, I owned it. Great continent cruiser
Quote:
. Also owned a 2600 SD1,
not as good as the 3.5 tho.
Also owned a 2600 Auto from new more or less 3500miles i had nothing but trouble with the bands on the gearbox it went in four times i think in the three year i had it, never got really got sorted, but was a lovely drive still have a soft spot for them when i see them at the shows but would'nt want to own one again.

PS forgot the colour was white

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2020, 23:43   #12
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

I still own my late Father's SD1 V8S. It was 3 years old when he bought it in 1983, and was confined to storage in 1989 when he bought his last car, a 1986 Jaguar 4.2 Sovereign, which he said made the Rover feel like a tin can! Sentimentality means I still have it, but with a genuine 29,000 miles and totally original, it gets little use as I have a love/hate relationship with it. Style without substance!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2020, 02:01   #13
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I bought an SD1 once, it was dreadful in fact the build quality was worse than a Marina and that is saying something.

At least the Vitesse I bought was fitted with the LT77 gearbox and was a twin plenum model, this one has the god awful Borg Warner 65 fitted.......yuk !

I realise a lot of people like them, but they were a poor follow up for the P6, and the Ferrari Daytona rip off styling.........well I don't think the Italians had anything to worry about

Brian
It was where Rover lost me until the 75. A poor P6 follow-up indeed. The bean-counters were in control. Sd1 was supposed to have the P6's De Dion rear end but ended up back on a live axle due to cost. They don't look quite as bad to me as they used to but l'd only buy one if it was decent but very cheap. So that ain't gonna happen.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2020, 19:44   #14
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Yes Steve. My 3.5 was moonraker Blue, same as the one Jim Jameson owned. My 2.6 was a white one also.
Old 20th June 2020, 19:48   #15
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

I'm sure some were worse than others. I had a v reg 2600 in 80's Absolutely cracking car to drive & once did 40mpg on a round trip to Exeter from Surrey to bring back a 6ft dining table in the boot. And I doubled my money on it when I had the chance to get my old MGBGT back :¬)
They are getting old now but this one looks good - pop some period seat covers on and enjoy.

Mind you, if you want to see how bad they can be, search out nitrosilvia's videos on youtube...
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2020, 20:14   #16
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I never liked the SD1!! Perhaps its because I was such a lover of the P6 ad I saw the SD1 and not a real Rover
Old 20th June 2020, 20:58   #17
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I’m surprised at some of the comments about the SD1 especially from Current Rover owners.
Yes the early models did have some corrosion problems but for styling it was way up there with the best of what was on offer from other marques.
I owned two, both series 2 models first a 2.0 litre model then my much loved 3.5 Vitesse which I sold on just last year after 31 years of ownership.

The SD1 was actually the last Rover designed by Rover as the 800 was a Honda design and the 75 under BMW’s tenure.

It is wrong to compare a car designed in the 70’s with one two decades later as production methods improved as well as engine & gearbox technology.

My SD1’s never let me down and I loved driving them but you can’t hold on to cars forever which is why I let mine go for someone else to enjoy.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2020, 21:26   #18
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post
I’m surprised at some of the comments about the SD1 especially from Current Rover owners.
Yes the early models did have some corrosion problems but for styling it was way up there with the best of what was on offer from other marques.
I owned two, both series 2 models first a 2.0 litre model then my much loved 3.5 Vitesse which I sold on just last year after 31 years of ownership.

The SD1 was actually the last Rover designed by Rover as the 800 was a Honda design and the 75 under BMW’s tenure.

It is wrong to compare a car designed in the 70’s with one two decades later as production methods improved as well as engine & gearbox technology.

My SD1’s never let me down and I loved driving them but you can’t hold on to cars forever which is why I let mine go for someone else to enjoy.
Corrosion problems? surely not Jim

The roof looks not bad

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2020, 16:56   #19
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

My 3.5 SD1 never had any rot, just a bit of rust, not rot, on the front wings. I had just spent £400 to have it put in as good condition as you could get it. When it was wrote off by the cowboy, I wad at work when the robber from the insurance company came to price it for my pocket, he told my wife that if it had been him, he would have been devastated, it was in such good condition. She told him I was. I actually said to the chap who wrote it off to just give me his details and go away, or something like that. Grrr. I had a witness so was ok. I got top wack for it , he showed the bible to my wife to prove it. He said if he could he would give me a lot more as it was the best he had seen in a long time. £595 was the wack I got. Absolutely gutted at the time.
Old 21st June 2020, 19:07   #20
championdaddy
This is my second home

Mg Zt 190

Not really a "shed" is it.

Needs tlc i would say.....

If I had the funds it would be with me....... always wanted a SD1.

Awesome looking cars
championdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote