Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th July 2020, 13:20   #1
paul cm

rover 75

Default help identifying this part please

Hi I have water getting into the passenger side footwells, back and front. On checking the drain holes at either side of the car, the ones at the bottom of the windscreen just under the bonnet. I found this part and I wandered if it could be the problem, as it looks like some kind of a plug, It measures about 9mm across

paul cm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2020, 23:17   #2
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul cm View Post
Hi I have water getting into the passenger side footwells, back and front. On checking the drain holes at either side of the car, the ones at the bottom of the windscreen just under the bonnet. I found this part and I wandered if it could be the problem, as it looks like some kind of a plug, It measures about 9mm across

If it's hard plastic, 9mm and what looks like a bit of a flare then could be the broken end of one of the engine breather pipes
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2020, 00:21   #3
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Paul.
Do you have a sunroof in your car if so then read this thread,
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=118622

Also this is a must read thread as water could be getting past the pollen filter, if your plenums are full.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=125864

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2020, 08:47   #4
paul cm

rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
If it's hard plastic, 9mm and what looks like a bit of a flare then could be the broken end of one of the engine breather pipes
Thanks for getting back to me. The part feels like rubber as it bends easily when squeezed. I am not sure where to locate engine breather pipe and how far down the engine it is but the part I found was just below the windscreen right next to one of the drainage hole rather side of the car. the only mechanical work I have had done was fitting of a new clutch recently.
Keep safe
Paul
Old 5th July 2020, 08:56   #5
paul cm

rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Paul.
Do you have a sunroof in your car if so then read this thread,
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=118622

Also this is a must read thread as water could be getting past the pollen filter, if your plenums are full.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=125864
Thankyou
I will check these out best wishes
Paul
Old 5th July 2020, 13:50   #6
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul cm View Post
Thanks for getting back to me. The part feels like rubber as it bends easily when squeezed. I am not sure where to locate engine breather pipe and how far down the engine it is but the part I found was just below the windscreen right next to one of the drainage hole rather side of the car. the only mechanical work I have had done was fitting of a new clutch recently.
Keep safe
Paul
As Arctic states, best concentrate on the water ingress likely due to the sunroof drain tubes having parted where they join hidden just above the front footwell bulkheads.
The rubber item could be anything and as it's quite small unlikely associated with the rainwater drainage system; the network of hard (glossy finish 9mm and 12mm) black plastic breather pipes wend their way around/across mostly the top end of the engine and tend to break/crumble with age hence my first guess. As the plenum chamber is just like a big gully anything small and loose can find it's way into there - the only worry is if it and any other detritis then blocks the drains. Depending on spec./age of car there are 1-2 upper drains - you can fit the end of your little finger into these - located O/S and N/S above both wings near the fire bulkhead venting to the outside hidden above the wheel arch liners (the O/S was dropped from later cars) and another two lower drains in the plenum floor which are bigger (middle finger size) - the N/S is clearly evident but the O/S is almost invisible 'conveniently' located underneath the brake master cylinder - these both vent to the outside around the back end of the front subframe via protruding tubes. If these are blocked then there is a high risk of the water pooling in the plenum and giving the engine control module (ECM) a good soaking - a very expensive pastime; if not checked rising water can then leak into the cabin via the pollen filter housing - another expensive pastime!
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote