Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th February 2020, 16:55   #31
euro44
Avid contributor

mg zt-t 226th made from total of 396

Default zt-t clutch horrors.

Update to clutch saga, vehicle returned to mechanic, bled, tested, road tested etc. so far (only 30 miles mind) and its operating properly, time will tell. The gentleman who carried out the work has 30 plus years experience of mg/rover and has had only a couple of faulty clutches until now. his worry ( and mine now ) is if the quality is being downgraded by the manufacturers this story could be repeated many times over, forcing him to give up helping us maintain our cars. After all the supplier replaced the clutch f.o.c. but there is no compensation for labour or inconvenience. NOT A HAPPY SITUATION.
euro44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2020, 22:47   #32
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Its a pity someone could not bring a case against a supplier of all these duff parts, because it is not a fair system that allows manufacturers to have no responsibility for their junk that they sell to both us and garages. There is nothing to stop unscrupulous manufacturers from dumping junk, underclass parts, and being able to walk away from their responsibilities. It really needs a test case, and I don’t know whether that kind of thing could be taken up by Trading Standards could take up. It’s certainly time something was done to stop the robbery taking place.
Old 25th February 2020, 23:16   #33
Ched
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Its a pity someone could not bring a case against a supplier of all these duff parts, because it is not a fair system that allows manufacturers to have no responsibility for their junk that they sell to both us and garages. There is nothing to stop unscrupulous manufacturers from dumping junk, underclass parts, and being able to walk away from their responsibilities. It really needs a test case, and I don’t know whether that kind of thing could be taken up by Trading Standards could take up. It’s certainly time something was done to stop the robbery taking place.
Hence my post asking if freelander clutches suffer the same, if not then the slaves are made to a cheaper spec as there is no manufacturer to answer to.

Last edited by Ched; 26th February 2020 at 00:37..
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2020, 12:09   #34
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched View Post
Hence my post asking if freelander clutches suffer the same, if not then the slaves are made to a cheaper spec as there is no manufacturer to answer to.
Friend of mine had the original clutch replaced on his 53 plate Discovery about two years ago now and last spring his clutch failed. It was the same problem the master had failed in about 18 months. Since that was fixed its needed a couple of bleeds so he's not a happy chap either thinking the slave is failing. Its a diesel don't know if its the same engine as a 75 but is a 2 ltr. So this problem may be more widespread.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2020, 13:04   #35
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

How many who have had problems have contacted LUK?

I'm intending to give them a ring when I get five mins hopefully this afternoon.

### MG STANDS FOR "MY GREMLIN" !!!
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2020, 14:07   #36
Ched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Job View Post
How many who have had problems have contacted LUK?

I'm intending to give them a ring when I get five mins hopefully this afternoon.
No one will have Richard, be interesting to see what they have to say, good luck.
Old 26th February 2020, 15:31   #37
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

I've got an idea that all they will say is they don't have an issue and it's down to fitment error.
I've had dealings with Gates timing belts a few years ago, and they are so arrogant their attitude is " we don't make faulty products"
LUK have a very similar outlook.

I'll let you know what's said.

Old 26th February 2020, 15:54   #38
smudge.g
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDTi Connie SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched View Post
The clutch system in my 2000 Freelander broke whilst serving overseas and i was horrified to see that it was mostly made of plastic, a simple system that was bought complete, easy to install but the problem was the metal plate that the slave fitted to would buckle very easily, thus trashing the slave. I still have a LHD version which i bought in error (the tubing is shorter) but still cr@p quality, and that was a 'genuine' LR part, (well it was Naples!!. )
My 75 Tourer CDTi was born Saturday, 21st June 2003 @ 09:50

My 75 was the 18,749th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
It was the 195th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 2,074
and the 1,789th 75 Tourer in Wedgewood Blue Metallic (code: JEL) to be made out of 1,871 Wedgewood Blue Metallic 75 Tourers
smudge.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2020, 16:08   #39
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

Just a quick update,

Not sure I'm going to get time to ring this afternoon as my boss is hanging about and it's got busy!

I WILL ring at some point this week though.

Old 26th February 2020, 17:50   #40
Ched

My take on it is this, the Freelander that this type of clutch system is fitted to is an old model just like our cars.
LR aren't interested as it's no longer in production and again, its an old model, spares wise they've done their bit and they will be quite happy when that model becomes history.
MGR have gone, no factory back up, a pretty much 50/50 on spares quality market that is rapidly becoming a cheap and cheerful kak market.

The choice we have is verging on possibly and none, it needs someone or a large club such as the MG Club or similar to approach a mainstream manufacturer and get them to up there game, the clutch is the real Achilles heel of any manual 75 / zt, thousand's more will rapidly disappear from the roads down to this critical component failing in a very very short time, people simply dont have the money to throw at a new clutch a few times a year.