Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th June 2021, 13:22   #21
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

You can change the crank pulley in 10 mins once the wheel is off.
Old 30th June 2021, 14:09   #22
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

That's surprised me Trikey. The last time i had it done it took the garage (not my regular one) a fair old time to tackle the job. From what i can remember the tensioner was causing them the most grief. They couldn't get at it and took time patience and a lot of cursing to replace it. I still haven't heard anything back from the garage yet and but in all fairness he say he would know whats what by 4.30.Fingers crossed its just the crank pulley and not the tensioner that's at fault 🤞
Old 30th June 2021, 14:34   #23
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
You can change the crank pulley in 10 mins once the wheel is off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb44 View Post
That's surprised me Trikey. The last time i had it done it took the garage (not my regular one) a fair old time to tackle the job. From what i can remember the tensioner was causing them the most grief. They couldn't get at it and took time patience and a lot of cursing to replace it. I still haven't heard anything back from the garage yet and but in all fairness he say he would know what's what by 4.30.Fingers crossed its just the crank pulley and not the tensioner that's at fault 🤞
Some play the game with you other don't and can be a nightmare, it helps if you have the right tools for the job, i know of an owner who used a gun to remove and fit the pulley, it damaged the rockers as it threw out the timing chain.

At the time i talked to Brian (marina) about it and he said he had only seen it once before so something to be aware of.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2021, 14:43   #24
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb44 View Post
Absolutely trebor.
It's not just the cost of having to do the job twice, but it's the inconvenience of having the car off the road. I work in a rural part of the country where public transport is virtually non existent. I depend on my car as my daily transport to work,
Hi John. Sorry to hear about your troubles. As has been diagnosed by yourself, water bath system, and recommend by Trebor and Dave Lincs, don’t try and save money buying a cheaply made one, get a Corteco one from a Land Rover Centre.
I bet Artic will be on shortly with a couple of links for you.

Last edited by bl52krz; 30th June 2021 at 14:50.. Reason: Artic had already replied. Beat me to it.
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2021, 14:52   #25
johnnyb44

Rover 75

Hi David. Thanks for the kind words. Luckily Just down the road from me there is a Land Rover centre who can supply a Corteco pulley.
I'm going to pop out now to find out the verdict.
Please feel free to place your bets before i come back.
All the very best 👍
Old 30th June 2021, 16:00   #26
johnnyb44

Rover 75

Well I've got the dreaded answer from the garage.
It is indeed the crank pulley that's tragically failed. The outer pulley has completely separated from the rubber inner and was freely spinning. The awful noise is were a piece of the outer pulley is folded over and making contact with another folded piece of metal on the inner part (hence the awful clanking noise) As was there the garage owner was putting on the new pulley and then watched and talked whilst he fitted the smaller of the 2 belts. I made a hasty retreat when he grabbed the larger second belt, as from past experience that's the awkward one to do. I'm a bit miffed the first replacement only lasted 4 years and 27000 miles so hopefully this quality one should last the test of time. I was expecting to see the old one chewed up with bits missing from the rubber, but it was a clean break between them.
As much as could do with out this unexpected expense in relieved its not something terminal with the car. It would of been a great shame to see it end its life when it looks so well. As he's got the undertray off I've asked him to give the front sub frame a good wax oil whilst its exposed and on the ramps as its looking a bit crusty.
Thank you all so much for all your help and support whilst I'm going through some open wallet surgery 🤣🤣
Old 30th June 2021, 16:38   #27
smudge.g
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDTi Connie SE

Sorry to hear of your woes. I have breakdown cover with AA which includes garage cover (parts+labour) up to £500 per claim, unlimited claims per year. When my crankshaft pulley went, they collected the car and took it to a local garage for repairs. I think the total came to about £300 and the bill was paid by AA direct. I just had to pay the first £50. Unfortunately, they couldnt tell me which make of pulley was put on as it was ordered by AA.
My 75 Tourer CDTi was born Saturday, 21st June 2003 @ 09:50

My 75 was the 18,749th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
It was the 195th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 2,074
and the 1,789th 75 Tourer in Wedgewood Blue Metallic (code: JEL) to be made out of 1,871 Wedgewood Blue Metallic 75 Tourers
smudge.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2021, 16:40   #28
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

That's good news you will soon be back on the road again
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2021, 17:16   #29
johnnyb44

Rover 75

Thats something to seriously consider Smudge considering our cars are not in there first flush of life. What kind of annual premium do you pay for that (if you don't mind me asking),
Cheers Dave for your kind message. Hopefully it may be all sorted tomorrow if it all goes smoothly. The push bike has been cleaned oiled and ready to go tomorrow (unlike me) to take me to work in the morning 🤣
Old 30th June 2021, 20:14   #30
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi John.
Nice to hear you got sorted, did he mention what make the pulley was to you, hopefully not a BGA pulley as they are not that good and can fail between 2 -6months

Hopefully it's one of the corteco ones i put a link to in post 17 (Dave)

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote