Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th August 2021, 18:58   #1
biffa75
Trader

Mk1 2004 tourer cdti + MK1 2003 Saloon CDT

Default E10 and insurance Vs government info?

A thought has just occured to me...

I know this E10 petrol question has been bouncing around the forums for sometime now. Many say that our cars should be fine. However.. just say there was an issue and your insurance company stated it was related to the fuel system and then set about proving that the incorrect fuel was found to be in the tank for example (let's face it.. insurance companies do what they can to wriggle out of paying out claims)..

At this point could an insurance company refuse to pay out due to negligence on the owners part by filling with fuel that the government have advised against for the vehicle i.e any rover made car with a petrol engine? (Could this be a way of forcing older cars of the road, without possible insurance companies having to pay out either)..
biffa75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2021, 19:06   #2
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

It's a thought but I'm not sure it would be a problem for insurance. I used to own a Scimitar GTE which had a known fault with the fuel lines that ended badly with them going up in flames.
I can't recall any owner having a claim refused.
The line feeding the carb would drop off spilling fuel over a hot engine.
A simple fix was to pin the fuel line to the carb and it would not fall off ever again.
Well known in Ford circles too as it was the 3 litre V6 Essex engine.
Old 8th August 2021, 20:43   #3
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Default HMG says No.

Alarmingly you may have hit on something here. Check the Gov website here and follow it through - Rover - and you'll see the helpful advice:

"No compatibility information for Rover cars is available as the manufacturer no longer trades. It is therefore not recommended to use E10 petrol"

Hmmmm.
Old 9th August 2021, 06:50   #4
johnnyb44

Rover 75

I read an article on what old cars would not be suitable and it sadly listed the Rover 25 amongst many others. The old classics would surely survive as they only get used on occasions in the dry summer months ect, but older cars such as the Rover 25 are still used as daily work horses will not fair as well. Having to separate the ethanol each week from the petrol using the water trick isn't really a practical option for every day use. I also think us diesel owners are on borrowed time before they start messing around with them too sadly. The powers that be just want us all to go all electric and making it more difficult to practically keep fossil burning cars as a first choice of transport. I think as electric cars become more popular the cost of petrol/diesel will sky rocket to off set the petrol companies lost profits leaving the poor old motorist well out of pocket. I for one couldn't afford an electric car, and even if i could i think the practicality would be impossible as to where I live and the parking situation. Not all people have the luxury of a driveway where they can plug there car in at night to recharge. Just finding a parking space for a normal car is sometimes a challenge. There's going to be so many garages going out of business with the event of ev cars. Exhaust centres will disappear and mechanics will need a degree in electronics to touch them.
Old 9th August 2021, 07:46   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

for now and for some time however long that is, normal grade petrol will be available

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2021, 17:58   #6
biffa75
Trader

Mk1 2004 tourer cdti + MK1 2003 Saloon CDT

Well... After a bit of a discussion that appeared to become a little heated on Facebook over what is fact and not fact as to whether our cars can use E10, appears much is all hear say with nothing of concrete evidence to back these claims up.

I spoke to my insurance broker who stated that it is advisable to follow government advice and if the government advice is that E10 is not recommended, to then use e10 fuel would be comparable to filling with the incorrect fuel such as putting diesel in a petrol vehicle and if such a claim was raised that could then result in your insurance being void. When I asked why e5 was accepted, they stated that because there is no government advice, possibly due to the small ethanol content that this is unlikely to cause an issue in a correctly maintained vehicle.

I have since found that land rover appears to be the only one that states ethanol is okay.

Rover
Mg searches throw back a lack of information so E10 is not recommended (due to lack of information).

Lotus state that any k series in a lotus vehicle regardless of model it appears is also not compatible.

Yes the cars may work okay on the fuel with viton o rings etc etc but.. the point here is the government advice is that E10 is not recommended, causing a potential issue as far as insurance is concerned should the worst happen.

Super unleaded for me I think...

If rover were making these engines to be ethanol safe... Would rover not have made this clear in their handbooks?

I've looked in UK handbooks and export handbooks and nowhere is it documented that ethanol could be used..

Perhaps rover didn't think people in Britain would drive abroad in countries that use ethanol fuels 😂
biffa75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2021, 18:34   #7
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

If your car catches fire are the insurance company going to test what type of fuel you have in the tank if there is any left?

My guess they will just ask what type of fuel you use and that is up to you how you reply.

In truth unless you are doing a lot of miles paying the extra for Super Unleaded is going to make a negligible in the total cost of running your car annually, probably little more than the annual MOT.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2021, 11:33   #8
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

[QUOTE=johnnyb44;2894995 I live and the parking situation. Not all people have the luxury of a driveway where they can plug there car in at night to recharge. Just finding a parking space for a normal car is sometimes a challenge. There's going to be so many garages going out of business with the event of ev cars. Exhaust centres will disappear and mechanics will need a degree in electronics to touch them.[/QUOTE]

Remember, MP's and their hanger on's have the underground car parks at taxpayers expense. I've no doubt that charging points have been installed. I must e-mail Grant Shapps and ask that question.

Have you also noticed how VED rates for CO2 vehicles has rocketed.

Kev

Last edited by torque2me; 16th August 2021 at 13:53.. Reason: spelling
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2021, 20:58   #9
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
Alarmingly you may have hit on something here. Check the Gov website here and follow it through - Rover - and you'll see the helpful advice:

"No compatibility information for Rover cars is available as the manufacturer no longer trades. It is therefore not recommended to use E10 petrol"

Hmmmm.
And If you read up on the same site about Land Rover, you will find that all Land Rover vehicles are ok. Some of them were fitted with Rover Engines, so ours are ok.
Old 15th August 2021, 21:22   #10
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
And If you read up on the same site about Land Rover, you will find that all Land Rover vehicles are ok. Some of them were fitted with Rover Engines, so ours are ok.
Certainly the 2.5KV6 and by implicatiion the 2.0KV6
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote