Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th August 2021, 20:40   #11
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
It is quite common with older cars for the pipes to go whilst on the rollers. The steel pipe on my coupe didn’t even look that corroded and if it could of been seen wouldn’t of even been an advise but it was within a mounting clip

Well that's good enough confirmation for me that what they said happened is correct.I wonder if it is about to become a regular issue with the 75/ZT due to age.

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2021, 20:42   #12
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
I wonder if it is about to become a regular issue with the 75/ZT due to age.
Ive seen this already

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2021, 22:31   #13
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Not too difficult a job to replace the brake pipes. I've done all of mine with a Sykes Pickavant flaring tool and Kunifer pipe.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2021, 22:42   #14
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Not too difficult a job to replace the brake pipes. I've done all of mine with a Sykes Pickavant flaring tool and Kunifer pipe.

Sounds like a prudent exercise if, as seems, they are prone to randomly letting go under hard braking as they age.

Last edited by VVC-Geeza; 25th August 2021 at 22:55..
Old 26th August 2021, 07:01   #15
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
Sounds like a prudent exercise if, as seems, they are prone to randomly letting go under hard braking as they age.
If going down that road why not change your flexi hoses as well

As a project on my Rover 45 I am in the middle of a suspension bush overhaul and am changing out the flexi hoses while stripped down . Amazingly my metal brake pipes have still the original green coating on and have all undone, but have been treated all the time I have owned the car which again is dry stored
It was only a couple of months ago we replaced the rear brake pipes on one of the rover 75's and as sworks quoted the pipes corrode within the clips
As Mike Noc said with good quality tools brake pipes not difficult to change
TourerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2021, 09:10   #16
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by TourerSteve View Post
If going down that road why not change your flexi hoses as well
The Flexi hoses on my coupe have already been changed to the braided type so I have confidence in them.

Old 26th August 2021, 11:02   #17
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I think you should be grateful it went when it did. I have had two experiences of brake pipes going pop. One on my Austin Westminster A90, the other on a 10 ton lorry. I can tell you I was stuck to the seat when the one went on the lorry at a busy junction. Went straight across Lichfield Road From Victoria Road Aston Birmingham with no brakes without hitting anything because there was a gap in traffic. Anyone who knows this junction will know how I felt. Managed to nearly rip the gearbox out of it changing down to slow me down with 600 dozen milk bottles on the back of it. Phew. Just thought I would add that this happened around 1965/8.The junction has changed since then. You arrive at an island now not a cross roads.

Last edited by bl52krz; 27th August 2021 at 15:20..
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2021, 15:53   #18
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
I think you should be grateful it went when it did. I have had two experiences of brake pipes going pop. One on my Austin Westminster A90, the other on a 10 ton lorry. I can tell you I was stuck to the seat when the one went on the lorry at a busy junction. Went straight across Lichfield Road From Victoria Road Aston Birmingham with no brakes without hitting anything because there was a gap in traffic. Anyone who knows this junction will know how I felt. Managed to nearly rip the gearbox out of it changing down to slow me down with 600 dozen milk bottles on the back of it. Phew.
Glad you're OK. I had the same 'brown trouser' moment many moons ago going north taking the slip road after the old Forth Road bridge to Kirkaldy. My other half was chatting happily when I realised I was doing a good 70 halfway down the hill towards the island with little happening with brakes (on a 'bargain' XJ6 I had just bought in Edinburgh). Being an automatic didn't help. Handbrake pulled almost out of the mounting got us down to 40ish at the bottom when miraculously a gap appeared just when I really needed one. A lot of honking but we got away with it. My wife asked (somewhat jmpolitely) what the * I was doing. Back at the garage they were disbelieving since the brakes seemed fine. Went in and out a few times and they finally replaced the servo under warranty, but a similar incident a few days later and back she went. Long story short, they finally replaced the vacuum hose to the servo and the issue was resolved. Theory was the inner lining of the hose was collapsing and depriving the servo of vacuum intermittently.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2021, 16:41   #19
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
I think you should be grateful it went when it did. I have had two experiences of brake pipes going pop. One on my Austin Westminster A90, the other on a 10 ton lorry. I can tell you I was stuck to the seat when the one went on the lorry at a busy junction. Went straight across Lichfield Road From Victoria Road Aston Birmingham with no brakes without hitting anything because there was a gap in traffic. Anyone who knows this junction will know how I felt. Managed to nearly rip the gearbox out of it changing down to slow me down with 600 dozen milk bottles on the back of it. Phew.

I am now grateful it happened on the rollers David and slightly ashamed and that I questioned in my own mind what they told me had occured,and that they see it a lot.They did say much better to let go on the rollers that at 70mph.It was just that I had never heard of this happening while a car was on test.I should have been more trusting as this has been my regular MOT garage for some years.Seems to be quite common judging by the comments on here and on coupe forum.You live and learn

Glad you and others managed to survive your experiences.

Old 26th August 2021, 16:56   #20
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

well i suppose its a bit like the brake lights failing on the way down for mot or during the mot. happened twice to me on different cars. just as well in your case it happened when it did . ...
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote