Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th October 2021, 07:47   #111
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

I had to laugh, was just watching the BBC and this greens mp in London talking about expanding these green zones, telling everyone how they need to change their travel ways re cars and change their lives.
The interviewer ask the mp, do you own a car ?
Oh no, was the reply, i just ride my bike around.
You can plainly see the mps view of life is riding a push bike around and he wants all of us to join him!!
God help everyone when you have these elected peanut fringe dwellers dictating that we should all live life like them!!!
No grasp on reality!!

Last edited by genpk; 25th October 2021 at 07:49..
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2021, 08:30   #112
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
I had to laugh, was just watching the BBC and this greens mp in London talking about expanding these green zones, telling everyone how they need to change their travel ways re cars and change their lives.
The interviewer ask the mp, do you own a car ?
Oh no, was the reply, i just ride my bike around.
You can plainly see the mps view of life is riding a push bike around and he wants all of us to join him!!
God help everyone when you have these elected peanut fringe dwellers dictating that we should all live life like them!!!
No grasp on reality!!
So, an MP is able to manage by cycling around and using public transport. He does not feel it necessary to own a car. Unless he said that everyone across the country should be doing the same I would not see anything other than a responsible individual in that particular person.

I have found some of your statements in this thread interesting. Perhaps you should be aware of the following facts:

1. Australia is responsible for the highest CO2 production per head on the planet.

2. It is one of the two largest producers and exporters of coal.

I was watching outback truckers last Friday (I think it was Friday night). The drought means that farmers are having water delivered by lorries in order to keep animals alive and carry on farming. The water delivery tanker in this particular programme drove 600km to transport 22000 litres, some of which was lost on the journey due to pipe leakages.

Do you not see such desperation for survival by your countrymen on Australian TV?

PS - with a number of cars including a 2.5L and a 3.0L V6, I don't think anyone could accuse me of being the equivalent of the aforementioned green mp. Yet I find it quite easy to walk when needing to pop into the local shops a mile away rather than take the car, take the park and ride to get into Colchester or Cambridge on the occasion that we visit for a shopping trip. I always park on the outskirts of Ipswich and walk a mile into town rather than queue up for the in-town car parks. None of this takes much effort, it just requires a consideration about the environment.

I still have my pushbike in the garage at sisters who lives near Heathrow in order to get around when visiting. She has never owned a car and sees no need for one given the availability of good public transport.

I guess at times I must be a peanut fringe dweller?

Last edited by MSS; 25th October 2021 at 08:37..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2021, 16:04   #113
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I know several people who live in cities or large towns who dont own a car, they use public transport and/or walk/cycle. On the occasion they need a car they rent or hire one.

One of them was telling me they find it so much easier, no worries about maintenance or parking and if they need a big car they hire one, if they only need a small car that is what they get. It normal times they spend less than £1000 a year on car hire. When you add up the insurance, tax and maintenance costs annually it does make sense.

Personally living a few miles out side a small town it would not work for me, public transport around here is at best sparse and walking or cycling into town is at best to far or worse probably dangerous with no cycle paths.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2021, 17:24   #114
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
I know several people who live in cities or large towns who dont own a car, they use public transport and/or walk/cycle. On the occasion they need a car they rent or hire one.

One of them was telling me they find it so much easier, no worries about maintenance or parking and if they need a big car they hire one, if they only need a small car that is what they get. It normal times they spend less than £1000 a year on car hire. When you add up the insurance, tax and maintenance costs annually it does make sense.

Personally living a few miles out side a small town it would not work for me, public transport around here is at best sparse and walking or cycling into town is at best to far or worse probably dangerous with no cycle paths.
As you write Steve, the above works for those in large metropolis. Not good walking down a country lane with no footpaths!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2021, 18:30   #115
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

As has been said before,it’s all a load of rubbish. Did you hear/read yesterday that co2 and most other noxious gases went up last year although industry and home working was in full swing? It’s called ‘a natural phenomenon ‘ organised by nature. Global bulls#@% all around, promulgated by the rich and their mates in government. Some of the plebs may wake up one day. Perhaps.But I doubt it.
Old 25th October 2021, 18:53   #116
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

This is not doing much for my self esteem gents. First a 'peanut fringe dweller' and now a 'pleb'!

But, hey, we are amongst friends so happy to take it all.
Old 25th October 2021, 21:46   #117
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Personally I'd prefer a re-branding from 'Climate change' to something else which is more accurate. To take samples of temperature changes over 150 years and extrapolate this to environmental Armageddon is unscientific, and this turns a lot of folk off. Then they don't engage with some of the serious pollution problems that we certainly face.
The planet is supposedly 4.5 billion years old! There have been huge climate changes with long ice ages and long hot ages, all pre-industrialisation. By far the primary driver of climate change is the sun. We could all go back to the Stone Age and if the sun threw one of it's once in 'n' thousand year wobblies we'd still fry or freeze.
That is not to discount the significance of anthropogenic effects on our environment. We do need to cut down on pollution. To be honest, our record on pollution is abysmal, and that needs to change as we begin to understand the seriousness of the consequences of getting it wrong for ourselves. Yet all it took was one pandemic event to increase our plastic pollution massively. Where are all those face masks and other plastic ppe going? I still pay a small fortune for correct disposal with big fines for a single mask in the wrong colour bag, yet the stuff is blowing around on our high streets
I'm a fan of going electric on cars, but I'd like to see some data on the electromagnetic field strengths and long term effects of electropollution of the occupants of these new vehicles.
We need safe nuclear power to handle the gaps caused by no wind or sun in our current roll out of windmills and solar panels and the new 'Green Deal'. But it's not much help if those industries pollute our air and waterways and food crops. Any suggestions for a re-branding that might gain more traction?
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2021, 22:26   #118
MSS
This is my second home

I think the difference between the sun throwing one of its once in a million years wobblers and our current situation is that we are in danger of killing ourselves and other life forms slowly and painfully over an extended period of time.

Even electric cars will only really solve one problem whilst creating other. The only real solution to our pollution related problems is for people to reflect on their lifestyles.

Perhaps we should just accept that there really is no hope for mankind. This is how I feel having spent a number of days in my waders clearing out rubbish from our local river.

Last edited by MSS; 25th October 2021 at 22:30..
Old 25th October 2021, 23:32   #119
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
This is not doing much for my self esteem gents. First a 'peanut fringe dweller' and now a 'pleb'!

But, hey, we are amongst friends so happy to take it all.
Hi Maninda. I was using the word as a generality, not exactly calling you a pleb. But it makes my blood boil when people chunter on about the media hype that is taking place at the moment in many aspects of our daily life.I have spent many hours reading up on a lot of the hype surrounding climate change and its many derivatives, both by supposed learned people and ‘stupid’ people like myself. I don’t like being bulled to by people who just get something in their heads, and pass it on as ‘the truth’. I really would like to ask these people to explain certain things I have found out by being inquisitive.

Last edited by bl52krz; 25th October 2021 at 23:34..
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2021, 11:30   #120
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Using public transport is fine, if the infrastructure is there in the first place.

Fine for Boris and his chums to jump on a rented cycle, bus or tube.

What about the rest of the country who don’t have access to decent public transport? We have to use our cars to get to and from work!