Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th July 2012, 20:34   #1
simon8805
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Jatco automatic gearbox - quick question

Following a couple of minor slips whilst changing through the gears I have decided to go through a full ATF flush on my 51 plate CDT 2.0.

I have studied much on the forum regarding the do's and dont's.

I am a confident hands on kindof guy, so I started the process tonite.

Warmed up the car, up on jacks, engine cover off, located the required fill, level and drain plugs, no problem.

As the car is new to me I thought I would take a peek at the ATF level first, and cracked opened up the 5mm hex level plug, I expected a dribble at most.

To my surprise 2 liters of ATF flowed from the level plug!!

The car is level (or as near as damn it)

WHY would 2 liters of ATF come out through the level plug?

My instinct tells me the gearbox has been overfilled, but 2 liters!

So thats the first question.

Secondly the ATF that came out was VERY metalic looking, slightly scorched smell to it and darkbrown, I guess this is about right.

The car has done exactly 100000 miles.

There are markings on the drainplug and filler plug that would indicate that the gearbox has gone through some kind of 'process' before.

Finally there was discussions about the location of the filler plug, mine was easily visable and I put my finger on it in 5 seconds of opening the bonnet, I take it there are no other fill inlets around the gear box area, what I found was quite small probably no more than 5mm. Put definatly a plug with a number of fixed o ringtype washers embedded.

Any comments would be helpfull.

Thanks

Simon

Primary concern is the 2 liters out of the filler plug?

Last edited by simon8805; 6th July 2012 at 20:39.. Reason: grammer
simon8805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 20:51   #2
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Are you sure you haven't removed the drain plug. You need to follow this how to http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/down...ile=tid011.pdf

Last edited by rover54; 6th July 2012 at 20:59..
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 21:31   #3
simon8805
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Level plug visus drain plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover54 View Post
Are you sure you haven't removed the drain plug. You need to follow this how to http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/down...ile=tid011.pdf
I have rechecked to make sure I havegot it right AND

I can confirm that 2 liters of ATF came out of the level plug (5mm allen key) rather than 24 mm drainage plug that I have yet to open up.

I have read that the change is around 3 to 4 liters.

Next step I guess is to see what comes out of the drain plug!

My concern remains the 2 liters from the level plug!
Old 6th July 2012, 21:59   #4
Singvogel
Gets stuck in

75 CDT, 1966 2000TC P6, TD4-M47

Beats me why 2 litres came out the level check tube - the only logical conclusion is that someone over-filled it. As it's a tube from inside the box there will always be a 50ml or so to run out - but 2 litres ?????

If it was dark coloured and smelling of 'toast' then it's definitely overdue for a change - possibly it wasn't changed at the 60K service as it should have been, and someone just chucked in a couple of litres instead.

The total ATF in the box is 8 litres but you can only get a little over half out.

I refilled with 4.6 litres to get the first dribble coming out the level tube.

Be sure to get the correct ATF.

It's Texaco N402 which is readily available at LandRover dealers as Part No. STC 50531 and is labelled ATF402 at £11.64 plus VAT a litre.

Hope that helps.

Singvogel.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 22:04   #5
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singvogel View Post
Beats me why 2 litres came out the level check tube - the only logical conclusion is that someone over-filled it. As it's a tube from inside the box there will always be a 50ml or so to run out - but 2 litres ?????

If it was dark coloured and smelling of 'toast' then it's definitely overdue for a change - possibly it wasn't changed at the 60K service as it should have been, and someone just chucked in a couple of litres instead.

The total ATF in the box is 8 litres but you can only get a little over half out.

It's Texaco N402 which is readily available at LandRover dealers as Part No. STC 50531 and is labelled ATF402 at £11.64 plus VAT a litre.

Hope that helps.

Singvogel.
JF403E, part No VYK000040, Rover 75 transmission fluid, South Lakeland Minis, £24.38 plus VAT for 5 litres.

Last edited by rover54; 7th July 2012 at 12:19..
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 22:40   #6
lovema75
This is my second home

75 Tourer CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover54 View Post
JF403E, part No VYK000040, Rover 75 transmission fluid, South Lakes Minis, £24.38 plus VAT for 5 litres.
That is very cheap indeed, mine cost double that at Rimmers...
lovema75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 03:43   #7
crofts
I really should get out more.......

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singvogel View Post
Hope that helps.Singvogel.
Land Rover used to be similar price to Xpart but of late are much more expensive going by what other members have stated.
May find the 5 litre is much cheaper than buying in litres. Don't know why, but even petrol stations are very expensive for 1 litre compared to 5 litres of ordinary oil.
Don't know present price at Xpart, last price I heard was about £34/5 litres.
Isn't there an Xpart near you ? Rimmers often seem more expensive and transport adds to price.
That price from Mini garage sounds like older price at Xpart which used to be £24 odd/5 litres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon8805 View Post
I have rechecked to make sure I havegot it right AND
I can confirm that 2 liters of ATF came out of the level plug (5mm allen key) rather than 24 mm drainage plug that I have yet to open up.
I have read that the change is around 3 to 4 liters.
Next step I guess is to see what comes out of the drain plug!
My concern remains the 2 liters from the level plug!
Yes. Let us know what you get out of the drain plug.
The look and smell of your fluid is not a good sign so your box, I am sure, will benefit from the change & you are probably lucky the box has not given problems.
You are probably advised to do a double change in view of the old fluid condition (you will see many members have done this on the basis you can only change some 60% each time, usually 4.5 litres, or so, per change)
May seem expensive but nothing compared to a recon box !

Last edited by Dragrad; 20th September 2014 at 00:28.. Reason: Consecutive posts - Use the edit ;-)
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 06:07   #8
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Default Auto fluid level

Your experience of overfilling is the reason why I do not agree with owners who say " just replace the amount which comes out". In your case it would have been around 6 litres. Unless you know 100% of the history of the car it is dangerous to assume that somebody hasn't just added some fluid during its life just for luck!
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 07:04   #9
simon8805
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzerk View Post
Your experience of overfilling is the reason why I do not agree with owners who say " just replace the amount which comes out". In your case it would have been around 6 litres. Unless you know 100% of the history of the car it is dangerous to assume that somebody hasn't just added some fluid during its life just for luck!
justhaving a cup of tea and I am on it, I will let you know the outcome!

Thanks all

Simon

Putting the thread back on track.

The original comment was regarding the 2 liters of ATF from the fill plug, I promised an update so here it is.

I opened up the drain plug and 1 liter of ATF flowed, making a total of 3 liters all up.

I replaced the three liters with new ATF, took for a short hard drive, back up on ramps and dropped a further 3 liters of ATF, replaced that 3 liters.

So we are now upto 6 liters.

Off ramps and went onto the motorway, happy days.

Came off junction, the drop down through the gears felt a little jerky.

I pulled up, turned car off waited a minute turned car back on AND no gears.

I manged to crawl to the local garage that has diagnostic computor, now have to wait for the report.....

It was a long, sad walk home.

I will update as and when I have more news.

Last edited by Dragrad; 20th September 2014 at 00:28.. Reason: Consecutive posts - Use the edit ;-)
Old 7th July 2012, 11:47   #10
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Am I not grasping the maths here ?.. usually I'm ok ..

But 2 + 1 litres out =3

replaced 3 = 3 total

After drive took out 3 replaced 3 = total 3 replaced ?

up to 6 now ?

I'll go and lie down

Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote