Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th May 2007, 21:38   #11
robwal0

Rover 75 V6 2.5 Auto Club

Default Towing with a 75

I have just bought a 75 2001 2.5 Auto Saloon. We have an 2000 Eldiss Typhon GTX caravan that I intend to tow. Would be nice to here other comments about the 2.5 pulling powers !!!! and is it happy re. temp. etc. Rob.
robwal0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 18:36   #12
Oldun
Regular poster

rover 75 tourer con se

Talking Pulling power

Hi rob.
I have not had experience of towing with your motor. but we caravanners are always comparing cars when on site and I have heard no bad reports on the V, only good reports really, again it's a heavy car with tons of power. Only snag is you have to stop at every filling station!!!.
Oldun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 22:15   #13
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

The Best MG/75 for towing I think is the CDTi.
It can pull weights of 1650KG (3525lb for the non metric) with good performance, Not many visits to filling station, and the Torque is great so no problems on the Hills.
If you have a auto don't use the Sports Mode on GearBox!
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 11:35   #14
EnEnGee
Posted a thing or two

CDT Tourer (SORN) & 2.0 V6 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatts View Post
Isle of Lewis?!? We go there quite a bit, my OH is from there originally! Met her whilst based there.
Tatts.

My parents are both from there, although they lived in London for donkey's years. What part of the Island is your wife from? Am I to assume that you worked in the oil rig yard, or was it the RAF?

I hadn't been back for many years but my wife wanted to see it and has fallen in love with the peace and quiet. With my oldies moving back up to Inverness, its likely we will be taking the '75 to Scotland quite a bit. We did 3 runs to Inverness last year. so pleased we got a diesel. We're off in about 3 weeks after I have serviced it. Just booked the boat.
EnEnGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 16:26   #15
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnEnGee View Post
Tatts.

My parents are both from there, although they lived in London for donkey's years. What part of the Island is your wife from? Am I to assume that you worked in the oil rig yard, or was it the RAF?

I hadn't been back for many years but my wife wanted to see it and has fallen in love with the peace and quiet. With my oldies moving back up to Inverness, its likely we will be taking the '75 to Scotland quite a bit. We did 3 runs to Inverness last year. so pleased we got a diesel. We're off in about 3 weeks after I have serviced it. Just booked the boat.
I was in the RAF there. What a place! Wasn't too keen on Sundays there, but things have changed so much these past few years; it's almost 'normal' nowadays!

My wife is from Tong, her mum has just left the Island for Glenrothes, and her Sister lives in Skye and the daughter still lives in Ballallan.

A few of my Ex-RAF colleagues married locals and settled there, once that Island is in your blood, it's very hard to get it out again!

Are you going Ullapool-Stornoway or Lochmaddy-Uig?
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 21:47   #16
EnEnGee
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatts View Post
I was in the RAF there. What a place! Wasn't too keen on Sundays there, but things have changed so much these past few years; it's almost 'normal' nowadays!

My wife is from Tong, her mum has just left the Island for Glenrothes, and her Sister lives in Skye and the daughter still lives in Ballallan.

A few of my Ex-RAF colleagues married locals and settled there, once that Island is in your blood, it's very hard to get it out again!

Are you going Ullapool-Stornoway or Lochmaddy-Uig?

Thanks for that. Only curious. My mother was about 8 miles further up the road (Tolsta), and Dad was right up at the northern tip (Ness). It's a strange place on a Sunday still - the ferries still don't run on Sunday although the planes do. I thought it weird for people queing up for Sunday papers on Monday lunchtime!

We are going Ullapool way as we are staying with my parents in Inverness and its not that long to drive. Its hopefully going to be nice in June with almost continual daylight. There are some very long straight sections of road over the moors to open the car up and NO cameras!!!

Last edited by EnEnGee; 29th May 2007 at 21:51..
Old 31st May 2007, 08:00   #17
hebrides75

75 tourer

hi im living on the isle of lewis lochs area you will need the cdti the price of fuel here deisel £104.9 unleaded £107.9 but saying that im glad im living here not on the mainland
hebrides75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2007, 10:12   #18
EnEnGee
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebrides75 View Post
hi im living on the isle of lewis lochs area you will need the cdti the price of fuel here deisel £104.9 unleaded £107.9 but saying that im glad im living here not on the mainland
Hello there.

Welcome to our little community. I was on the Island last June and I think we were paying something in the region of 106.9 for DERV so I am expecting it to cost. The cheapest down my way (Kent) at the moment is Supermarket Diesel at around 95.9. The difference seems to be about the same as last year. We bought most of our fuel at Sandwick Road (my family told me it was cheapest) or at Barvas Welcome In.

With my wife never having been before, we racked up the miles and went right over most of the Island - West Side, Harris as far as Rodel, everywhere in fact except Point, working up around 800 miles (+700 each way to get there!). Was staying in Port of Ness so anywhere was a long drive and my mothers family live over in Tolsta, where we will stay this year.

My parents moved back to Scotland last year after years living in London, so we expect to do the Highlands run quite regularly. Once to Lewis and twice to Inverness last year. We did Kent to Inverness in December in 11.5 hours including 3 45 minute stops, which we didn't think was too bad.

How long have you had your car? I take it that it was obtained from the mainland. I don't think Lewis has had a BMC/ Rover dealer for many years.
Old 31st May 2007, 11:11   #19
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

To the Best Club around Hebrides75.
Diesel Here where I am in North Wales is 93.9p at Shell Station but Unleaded is 96.9p Litre, seems mosts stations and supermarkets are now making diesel up to 9p per litre cheaper.
Our Shell Station always matches Tesco, Morrisons etc so better fuel for same money.

Last edited by JohnDotCom; 31st May 2007 at 22:32.. Reason: Correction & Addition, had to go B4 finishing earlier (call out).
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2007, 11:36   #20
EnEnGee
Posted a thing or two

The Scottish islands have always had the most expensive fuel, and with the remoteness of the area, you really need a car to get around easily although there are reasonable bus services.